• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Where do I say I want someone who lack those skills? However having those skills without at least decent physicality means a handicapped player.
A team must be balanced in physicality, mentality, technicality with sound tactics to function better than the sum of its parts. And of the current squad taken to USA a glaring lack of physicality is clear to see in its spine of CF, CM and CB. Tonali or Cuisance from what I have read about them is just younger Xhakas, they may grow to be better but they are Deep Lying Playmakers in FM speak.
Look at our succesful years 98-05 CMs, most have good blend of technical, physical, and mental skills. They were skillfull bullies teams hate to play against. Even then back ups like Parlour and Edu will improve our current midfield. We need to have at least 1 CM of their kind.
Agree though we need to replace Xhaka he is too immobile, with less than stellar positioning/awareness thus his mistakes happened.
Yes you’ve got the point. A DLP is what we needed alongside a DM, with both playing behind an AM. No box to box non-technical boring ****.

99% box to box or ball carrier lack those skills. You did mentioned Iwobi and willock. And someone mentioned AMN too. They lack those skills.

A team need to be balanced in physicality. Absolutely. That’s why we need big/strong defensive midfielders and defenders.

We replace Xhaka because he sometimes make careless mistakes. Not because that he is immobile, Xavi, Alonso, Pirlo, Kroos, Scholes, Carrick.....they are all immobile.

Last edited:

db10fan

99% box to box or ball carrier lack those skills. You did mentioned Iwobi and willock. And someone mentioned AMN too.

We replace Xhaka because he sometimes make careless mistakes. Not because that he is immobile, Xavi, Alonso, Pirlo, Kroos, Scholes.....they are all immobile.
Disagree as 99% is nearly absolute.
Willock AMN is young and if we dont play them we will never know if they fits the team need in CM. Iwobi seeing his lack of final pass/shots, might be better utilised to progress play.
IMO some of Xhaka's mistakes comes from his immoblity, so another player of similar immobility will likely commit similar mistakes. If we can found a mobile Xhaka, then yes thats a clear upgrade.
Xavi, Pirlo, etc are all supported by tough guys and mobile runners, thus team balance, there were Busquets, Iniesta, Gattuso, Keane, Modric, Gerrard. Also Scholes were never immobile.
If no body runs to dangerous spaces then no pass to create chances can be delivered by passers like Xhaka. If no body disrupts opponent build up plays, they will dominate the ball and create chances.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Disagree as 99% is nearly absolute.
Willock AMN is young and if we dont play them we will never know if they fits the team need in CM. Iwobi seeing his lack of final pass/shots, might be better utilised to progress play.
IMO some of Xhaka's mistakes comes from his immoblity, so another player of similar immobility will likely commit similar mistakes. If we can found a mobile Xhaka, then yes thats a clear upgrade.
Xavi, Pirlo, etc are all supported by tough guys and mobile runners, thus team balance, there were Busquets, Iniesta, Gattuso, Keane, Modric, Gerrard. Also Scholes were never immobile.
If no body runs to dangerous spaces then no pass to create chances can be delivered by passers like Xhaka. If no body disrupts opponent build up plays, they will dominate the ball and create chances.
Willock, AMN...their strengths are more suits to play out wide. Unless they can learn to play the pirlo way if they wanted to be a DLP or the iniesta way if they wanted to be an AM.

DLPs are immobile? That’s why we need tough players, a mobile DM alongside the DLP. Busquets isn’t that mobile, so it’s not even that important after all.

No body runs to dangerous space? We have our attacking midfielder/inside forward/strikers to do that. Xavi wouldn’t run up like a fool to leave the midfield exposed.

Jakarta

IMO its better to spend on CM/LB/CB than to spend big on Zaha/Pepe, let Nelson/Saka/Martinelli compete with Iwobi/Miki for the wings.

Why does Nelson get so much hype?

All the youngsters you listed have potential, but are nowhere near ready to make a big difference this season. Inexperienced youngsters should slowly make sub appearances in the league or start in the Europa/Cup games only.

We need to get into the top 4 this season...not fall further behind.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Just waiting for it to click for reiss, he will come good, just needs the manager to have some confidence in him...
He'll be fine IMO, he's always capable of something out of nothing that will shift momentum squarely in his favor. Was only his first 20 mins of pre-season. We'll see how he operates tomorrow.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Fiorentina game is at 11pm tomorrow so I’ll catch it.

Hope he plays a full game on the left, such a quality player when he can drift inside and play almost as a 10 at times.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Poor first half with barely any notable touches. Was good for the first 10-15 mins in the second when he was on the left of a front 3.

Think he’ll get better the more friendlies he plays, he probably, rightly or wrongly feels he has less to prove than the likes of Joe and Eddie and the younger lads. Being the face of the Adidas campaign he’s certain to stay here this season, the others are fighting for their spot in the squad.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Poor first half with barely any notable touches. Was good for the first 10-15 mins in the second when he was on the left of a front 3.

Think he’ll get better the more friendlies he plays, he probably, rightly or wrongly feels he has less to prove than the likes of Joe and Eddie and the younger lads. Being the face of the Adidas campaign he’s certain to stay here this season, the others are fighting for their spot in the squad.

You have see more of him , but seems to me that has been happening for awhile now , being unable to get into games . Think his positioning and off the ball movement is something he may have to work on .

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

I’m not worrying about nelson.
He’s just a good player in bad form, just be patient and he will be fine.
What I would be worrying is having a bad player in good form.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I think it's a combo - not as sharp as the others plus needs to get on ball more. When Laca came on, it gave him something to do it seemed. I want to assess him further in pre-season.

Gunner-Union

Really hope he can show us what everyone has talked about. Other young wingers sancho, Odoi, grabbed their chances and Reiss was considered as good as them now it’s time for him to show us and we need him

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You have see more of him , but seems to me that has been happening for awhile now , being unable to get into games . Think his positioning and off the ball movement is something he may have to work on .

Got the very same impression with him at Hoffenheim. Strangely his ability to get into good scoring positions is very good, he really "just" struggles to take part in games.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
I don't understand why he almost refuses to try and take players on, he has all the tools to do so, don't understand if its apprehension or he would rather play it safe, what's he waiting for this is his chance.....

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Yeah exactly this, needs to start having an extensive influence on matches. Atm he has good 10 minute spells here and there- ability is there without question though, just needs fine tuning.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Reminds me a bit of Jermaine Pennant, I wonder if he will follow a similar route in his career, he needs consistent game time and I wonder if he is going to get that here or have to move to a lesser club.

Confidence and form are not going to come from the bench.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Think he's struggling with fitness. Looked like he was running on mud instead of turf. Didn't play a whole lot for Hoffenheim,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom