• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I think if we can only afford one or the other then we just go what ever is the best player available in either position. Then just accept we wont be ready for the upcoming season but hopefully the next if we dont lose anyone key. I'd lean towards winger with Saliba coming next season.

Ideally we need two wingers which we wont do in one summer.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
4’th choice behind Sokratis, Chambers and Holding(not fit)?

Yes. Easily. The fact that people can reel off winger names that vastly improve us but can't reel off names of CB's that vastly improve us says it all.

Yes the CB options are far from ideal, but we essentially have two new CB's in Holding and Chambers. Holding only started 9 league games last season before getting injured.

You either sell Chambers and bring someone in or you see how it goes with those.

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
Yes. Easily. The fact that people can reel off winger names that vastly improve us but can't reel off names of CB's that vastly improve us says it all.

Well to be fair it's not difficult to improve from something that doesn't exist. We have or rather had no wingers last season so anyone is an improvement. I get your point though.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
While I like the discussion generally, I think there is false dichotemy between 'awesome' players (who seem to have to cost north of €60m) and 'okay' players (even if they cost €40m). The fact that Xhaka and Mustafi were expensive does not mean every player at that price level cannot be 'awesome'. For sure, the fee influences the expected contribution of a player brought in, but it's by no means a guarantee.

I think it should be possible to sign 'awesome' players for no more than €40m. It will be very difficult in the PL though and the transfermarket has generally gone mad, but I refuse to believe there is no CL standard winger available for around €40m, nor that there isn't a CB available at less than €40m who is better than Sokratis (who I rate and a level above Sokratis = CL standard).

We definitely have to buy a winger, because we haven't had one since we sold Sanchez and even then the wings were poorly covered. We also definitely have a lack of quality at CB, if not a lack of quantity. No reason not to address both these positions this summer. A fourth season out of the CL in a row would be a disaster for the club.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

seem he want to get the Tierney saga over with so he will have time to find replacement.

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
What are the chances that this has all already been agreed but it's just being played out to appease Celtic fans and make it seem like they aren't letting their best player leave without a fight. Those comments from Lennon aren't exactly very reassuring if they want to keep him.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
What are the chances that this has all already been agreed but it's just being played out to appease Celtic fans and make it seem like they aren't letting their best player leave without a fight. Those comments from Lennon aren't exactly very reassuring if they want to keep him.
Maybe this or we are not in hurry because he still recovering and maybe wont's start the first 2 games of the season at least.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yeah this one is as good as done.

Both clubs taking their time as Tierney is injured and Celtic have an extra few weeks to get a replacement who doesn't even have to be a starter.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Just shows the ***** trio of Sam Dean, John Cross and Adrian Kajumba were talking bollocks the other day. No doubt all three of them will release a story at some point saying “Arsenal have made a sensational u-turn”.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Just shows the ***** trio of Sam Dean, John Cross and Adrian Kajumba were talking bollocks the other day. No doubt all three of them will release a story at some point saying “Arsenal have made a sensational u-turn”.
i knew it they were just copy Kevah if we were really walked off Scottish sun who been quiet reliable and Orny would say so but nobody said that but non of them report the same story in fact Scottish sun rubbished these claims.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
First question we have to ask is what formation are we mainly going to play. With the signing of Ceballos it looks like a 4 3 3 or 4 2 3 1.

Now considering the impact of Laca and PEA getting both of them in the team for me is important.

So that could mean PEA on the right or left of a front 3. Against Bayern he drifted out to the right and was effective while still at times getting around the box.

So if the midfield is something like.

Torreria
Xhaka Ceballos

Then this front 3 below would seem ok. More than enough to compete.

Winger Laca PEA

Who could play the winger? Iwobi (not great), Özil against teams we dominate to drop in behind and push the front 2 forward where our full backs can push up or a young player like Nelson/Saku to add pace and directness.

Or we sign someone like an Everton or Zaha which would make the front 3 deadly. While that is ok our defence is still bad. And a flying winger won't change that. Our midfield won't always dominate which means while having a winger like Zaha can help on the counter, our defence is going to be under lots of pressure.

Can Sokratis/Mustafi/Chamber and Holding deal with that? I very much doubt it. Would signing an elite CB to go alongside Holding/Sokratis a long with Bellerin and if we get him Tierney/Monreal make our overall defence a bit more secure? Probably.

The question is what would have the bigger impact on our season. A better defence or a better attack? Personally I think our attack is good enough for top 4 but our defence isn't.

Adding a top centre back for me is certainly more a priority than a skillful winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom