• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wilfried Zaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
So you think Raul has played a blinder? What's your assessment of his pitch process for Zaha (26 days since he last did anything)?

I’m talking about your sanctimonious “screwing the little club, bad for the game” bullshit. Raul was just part of a negotiating team that paid €30m for an 18 year old who has played half a season of top flight football. That’s not really screwing the little club is it? Him thinking Zaha is not worth £80m is not screwing the little club. For all we know he put in a bid seeing how you’d react and then Zaha’s people have gone public with it off their own backs. Let’s not forget his agents stand to cash in if Zaha moves.

parishioner

Croydon's GDeep
You are probably right on Raul, going on his history, but based on certain things this week I'm not 100% sure this has been all him. There is an alternative here that the player and agent were looking for a move and put out the wish to move to Arsenal to drum up overall interest. Just don't know, but I'm sure we'll find out some more of what really has happened behind the scenes in the future.

On all of this, I've mainly been reading between the lines. It was obvious 3-4 weeks back that we had two or three players we were going after for an attacking addition. Back then I said that Soares at 40m was an interesting weigh up (pros/cons) vs. Zaha at 60m. If those numbers changed then that would change the equation. My attitude has been to let the club (Arsenal) get on with it, as long as they don't screw up to the point that we don't get any of the options in our shortlist.

I agree. Likely a combination of a tricky agent and a tricky director of football (or whatever Raul's title is).

I'm very happy if Raul has turned his attention elsewhere and Soares is now the main target.

parishioner

Croydon's GDeep
I’m talking about your sanctimonious “screwing the little club, bad for the game” bullshit. Raul was just part of a negotiating team that paid €30m for an 18 year old who has played half a season of top flight football. That’s not really screwing the little club is it? Him thinking Zaha is not worth £80m is not screwing the little club. For all we know he put in a bid seeing how you’d react and then Zaha’s people have gone public with it off their own backs. Let’s not forget his agents stand to cash in if Zaha moves.

I've read this thread and it seems even among Arsenal fans opinions are divided on Raul and his history. He did it to you with Barca and you didn't like it, but now he's your power-play exponent it's suddenly OK?

Iceman10

Established Member
I've read this thread and it seems even among Arsenal fans opinions are divided on Raul and his history. He did it to you with Barca and you didn't like it, but now he's your power-play exponent it's suddenly OK?

There was an impression under Arsène Wenger, legend that he is, that "nice guy" "nice club" wasn't rewarded for such against dark arts of others. If we've adopted dark arts of others the attitude is so be it. Transfers are increasingly becoming a nasty business overall.

parishioner

Croydon's GDeep
There was an impression under Arsène Wenger, legend that he is, that "nice guy" "nice club" wasn't rewarded for such against dark arts of others. If we've adopted dark arts of others the attitude is so be it. Transfers are increasingly becoming a nasty business overall.

I really liked Wenger - a class act. Is that a crime now the club has turned to the dark side? Hope not.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
@kofigunner yes, for bloody palace he's bagging those numbers. You do realize they score a lot less than us right.. Zaha wil surely go up a notch with quality around him..

So we need to get some quality to be around him:rofl:
Perhaps. Doesn’t always translate though. Benteke, Andy Carroll and other players failed when presented with bigger opportunities. Mitrovic had 11 goals on a Cardiff side that scored almost 20 goals less than Crystal Palace. Not a direct comparison, granted, but you don’t have to be on a great team to show certain things. My feeling is that Zaha’s one of the best dribblers in the Prem, but he would have to work hard to be consistent and show up for every game. We wait and see.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
My fervent hope is that once the dust has settled and hopefully Wilf is getting Selhurst Park and our new singing section up on their feet in a few weeks time, his anger at what might have been is directed where it belongs - namely with Raul and his "lets' screw the little club" mentality.
Something the game could well do without IMO.

With the amount of money clubs are getting for just being in the Premier League, there are no "little clubs" to be screwed. Any club in the PL has enough financial muscle not be bend over, unless they want it themselves. Heck, according to one report that was ranking world football teams according to their brand value, Palace were ranked 26th in the world. Sorry if we don't buy this portrayal of your club as a defenceless good guy being bullied by big bad Raul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom