• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Samuel Umtiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multipass

I will respectfully disagree. Umtiti scored the winner in the semi finals again Belgium and alongside Varane formed the best defensive partnership of the cup. He wasn’t a passenger.

Umtiti is also the same Umtiti that has kept Koscielny out of the national team for years, so I also disagree with your assertion that he hasn’t performed at club level.

All that aside is still take a half fit Umtiti over anything we have at the club right now.

Don’t even bring that sh*te.

Trashstafi is a World Cup winner and that means what?

Kleberson won the won cup too, his football career was monumental wasn’t it?

Wes Brown and Silvestre won the CL, they were top draw defender weren’t they?

The list is endless.

I hate it when football fans use trophies to measure a players ability. Shocking stuff.

sykesy69

Isn't that only between Premier League clubs? I think it is different when you getting loans from overseas.
I think I'm as confused as everyone else. Now I'm reading it as Max 4, only 2 from English clubs and only 1 from a single English club. Looks like loans from overseas are possibly fair game.

Loans between Premier League clubs and other English counterparts are officially called temporary transfers.

Under the rules in the Premier League Handbook 2018/19 (Download PDF, size: 8.39MB), there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs.

They are:
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

Malky

Established Member
Umtiti of old would be an incredible signing, Umtiti now is a massive risk, even on a season loan.
Still not convinced it's Umtiti the club actually want.

akhil

It’s interesting to see how far you’d want to go back? As those players you have listed are a few but just to name a few off the top of my head, the likes of Rudiger, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Alisson, Felipe Anderson prove your theory wrong.

I understand that the Serie A might not be pleasing on the eye for some but you can’t use that to suggest a player would come over here and fail. If it was that easy then the likes of Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira wouldn’t have made it here.

I’m curious to know, do you rate Lacazette? If so, then his first season wasn’t great but did you write him off like you’re writing off Torreira already? He showed glimpses last season but of course he everyone knew he needed time to adapt to the PL.

Well, my point is put either one of Koulibaly and Škriniar in the Arsenal side and we improve.

I said Torreira was kind meh in his first season, also added he could improve. I'm rooting for him to improve, there's definitely a solid player in there.

Regarding Laca, I rate him as a good player but nothing great. He has no outstanding qualities for me but doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses either. His movement in the box is what frustrates me no end regarding him, it's below par for a 50 million striker.

Rudiger is a bundesliga export. Marquinhos and Thiago silva are from a while back. Thiago Silva left when Milan were still decent in Europe. Felipe Anderson is a good player but he left a mid table serie a team to go to a mid table PL side and he's 26, not some youngster with a ton of potential to improve. I'll give you Allison but he's a GK, a little different to rubric to measure his development. Plus I think he's a freak talent honestly.

Regarding exports from serie a, the money has been in England for the last decade or so. Clubs would have thrown silly money at players from all over if they thought they were good enough.

Skriniar and Koulibaly would definitely improve us, but we've had rubbish at the back for a long time. Not saying every player in serie a is rubbish but I'd be wary about paying over the top for talent from there, moreso than the other European leagues.

Talent worth buying from there is already at a big club. Not having CL is pain to probably recruiting them.

akhil

@Troopz I'm not really big on Umtiti either. Think he's a class act on the ground and reading the game. But I'm honestly fed up with undersized defenders. Too big a gamble with his injury history and the price he'll command.

akhil

Holdings only 5cm taller.

And Van Dijk is only 5cm taller then Holding.

Don't think I've seen Holding get bullied though and his ability in the air has significantly improved since he first joined.

It's a game of percentiles though, we're far more likely to face the Troy Deeney types over the course of a season rather than the Agueros and Kanes.

Similar percentiles for types of threats we will face, more hoofball, crossing and set pieces than threats via quick passing and movement. Counter point to all that is of course we'd be the dominant team in terms of possession for about 80% of the games in the season, where the CBs would be up near the halfway line for most of the game. Someone with Umtiti's profile would be the ideal player in that scenario. Peak Kos ideally suited to this type of defending.

Divided_Pie

Chambers is the best ball-playing CB we have and he's not brain-dead like Mustafi, but physically he lacks size, strength, pace, and change of direction. He is repeatedly toasted in 1v1s and when he runs it looks like he's wearing flippers and is off for a snorkel.

He's okay as 4th choice who can cover three positions, but you don't want him starting consistently or playing in any big matches.

Holding has the brain, size, and fight to work out. I'll never forget him battling with that c*nt Costa in the FA cup final - that showed me a lot. He's not the fastest but he's decent with the ball at his feet and can play on the left.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
And Van Dijk is only 5cm taller then Holding.

Don't think I've seen Holding get bullied though and his ability in the air has significantly improved since he first joined.

It's a game of percentiles though, we're far more likely to face the Troy Deeney types over the course of a season rather than the Agueros and Kanes.

Similar percentiles for types of threats we will face, more hoofball, crossing and set pieces than threats via quick passing and movement. Counter point to all that is of course we'd be the dominant team in terms of possession for about 80% of the games in the season, where the CBs would be up near the halfway line for most of the game. Someone with Umtiti's profile would be the ideal player in that scenario. Peak Kos ideally suited to this type of defending.

I personally think Umtiti's athleticism and build deals with players like Deeney better than Chambers no matter how tall they are. If you're gonna search for a 6ft3+ CB who's also good on the ball and just quality in general you're instantly cutting out about 80% of the market.

benjamin86

Established Member
I personally think Umtiti's athleticism and build deals with players like Deeney better than Chambers no matter how tall they are. If you're gonna search for a 6ft3+ CB who's also good on the ball and just quality in general you're instantly cutting out about 80% of the market.
Baresi was only 5'9....

akhil

Umtiti is most definitely better than Chambers, and significantly so.
But for 50 million + big wages and a dodgy knee, I'll pass. We don't have the resources to gamble with a player like that. We've already got enough expensive deadwood in the side as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom