• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dayot Upamecano

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Really torn on this. Good prospect, but the fee for a CB these days is astronomical, and I'm not sure we should be pursuing him in an overheated market. I guess you pay for quality and talent but he would be coming to a top club, playing in the EPL, and with very few games under his belt. Risk is high? I felt Saliba's price was right for buying talent - is Upamecano's talent twice that of Saliba? Mmm...

My current preference would be to:

1) move on from Tierney;
2) sign Alaba with the Tierney and Upamecano money;
3) perhaps pick up Rugani (or similar) and Cahill on loan/free respectively;
4) trust in Holding (with a full season) and Sokratis to hold down the fort.

I know the CB's listed above aren't 'top, top quality', but I struggle with the fees going around at present, like Maguire going for £80m.

The things I like about Alaba - who is apparently available - are:
1) he brings vast experience to the side including experience winning major competitions;
2) he can slot in practically anywhere - left back, CB, DM, midfield, even on the wings.
3) he's a genuine - and proven - world class player. I mean if I'm picking a World XI, Alaba is my left back;
4) the excitement I get from the idea of Alaba linking up with PEA and our midfield. More so than I do with Tierney.
5) perhaps most importantly he is an Arsenal fan, which says to me commitment.

I also like the fact he's at a good age: just turned 27, which says to me 5 or 6 years at the club, and reaching an age where players enter their peak. Seems an easy Monreal replacement, and it's a player who isn't coming from the Scottish league but the Bundesliga (and at a club that plays - and wins - the Champions League). A Champions League winner for a club that wants to win the Champions League, if you like.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Tierney and Upamecano, but I have faith in Holding and Sokratis (plus a good loan signing as backup), and I know Saliba is coming (perhaps even this season - wouldn't surprise if there's a clause that says we can recall him for a smallish fee).
I was shouting Alaba as a Ramsey replacement

Great player but I think he has statd he wants to remain att bayern

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Right now I'm thinking more chance of getting a CB than Tierney. I don't think we can buy both and have decided CB is a bigger priority. If we cant buy a CB and have to go for a loan, then maybe Tierney becomes an option again. I think his injury is definitely playing a part in our thinking, does anyone know when he will be able to play?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Any news this morning? People seem awfully excited about this. Seems too idyllic to me.
Yeah seems like a one off bid and then go elsewhere cos 70M is ridiculous’ kind of thing.

I really wish I could feel as excited as everyone else because this would be a huge signing. Heard he’s absolutely rapid and has the strength to match but is one of the better ball playing and dribbling CB’s out there.

Sounds like a dream signing.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

No cap bro but you don't need to establish that you've been a fan of him, hes rated as one of the best CB's at his age round here, so we ALL fancied him but we ALL thought he'd be beyond our reach.
Liked because you said no cap. Need more like you on here. :lol:

Axel_Gunner

The things I like about Alaba - who is apparently available - are:
1) he brings vast experience to the side including experience winning major competitions;
2) he can slot in practically anywhere - left back, CB, DM, midfield, even on the wings.
3) he's a genuine - and proven - world class player. I mean if I'm picking a World XI, Alaba is my left back;
4) the excitement I get from the idea of Alaba linking up with PEA and our midfield. More so than I do with Tierney.
5) perhaps most importantly he is an Arsenal fan, which says to me commitment.

no way alaba is available.

bayerns only left defender + important player: bayern doesnt want to sell

he is still world class + has ambition to play for every title like CL: he would only be interested to join a club like barca (said so himself) not us

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Those who follow Bundesliga could provide better input @Toby Andrl @jones

He's mostly like all the promising young defenders right now. Athletic, good on the ball, good on 1vs1. Pace wise he's alright. Definitely a more proactive CB. He gets a long ball right every now and then, but I'd say his opening play, long range passing, and positioning are not his strengths.

That's what I can remember from the few times I've seen him. You have to take into account he's been out from January to May this season, so not a lot of games to see him recently.

Toby

I was shouting Alaba as a Ramsey replacement

Great player but I think he has statd he wants to remain att bayern

Alaba is his country's best footballer atm, he's playing for Bayern earning north of 10m €/year, has great name recognition, can play LB, CB, CM and even AM (for Austria sometimes). That's a calibre of player who'll never ever join current Arsenal. Guy is staying at Bayern or joining the likes of Real, Barca, PSG, Juve.

Also, there's actually never been any substantial sign he ever was available or wanted to move.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Alaba is his country's best footballer atm, he's playing for Bayern earning north of 10m €/year, has great name recognition, can play LB, CB, CM and even AM (for Austria sometimes). That's a calibre of player who'll never ever join current Arsenal. Guy is staying at Bayern or joining the likes of Real, Barca, PSG, Juve.

Also, there's actually never been any substantial sign he ever was available or wanted to move.

BuT hE iS an ArSenAl fAN!1

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Alaba links only ever float about because he is/was a big Arsenal fan.

Could potentially do it if we get back to the kind of level you’re talking about.

El Duderino

Could potentially do it if we get back to the kind of level you’re talking about.

Think by that time he'll be a bit over the hill, tbh. Rather just try for the next Alaba if you will.

Toby

yep, it's the usual **** that gets hyped up when players say they can imagine playing abroad or were fans of a certain club as kids - doesn't mean they will actually go abroad or play for this club. Their ambitious athletes after all.

CL contenders? That'll take a while.

El Duderino

Btw, did you have a good holiday, mate?

Did anyone you were hiting on checked how many likes you had here? Must've been rough, I know girls only dig guys with Trusted Status on an intertnet forum.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Josh Kroenke, you sweet rich man, you said BE excited and I thought it was bullshit!!!

I said at the time of that statement that Josh could be good for the club because he was at least showing an interest in the sporting side of things, unlike his Dad who is 100% business. You watch once we start blowing teams away Josh will be here more than the US, shouting at the ref and abusing Sp**s fans. Josh the Gooner!

Gursha

its too quiet for a deal of this magnitude to be finished... if no significant progress made today this will likely be off.

Plus Raul said he doesnt believe in deadline day deals... lets see what happens...

Latest posts

Top Bottom