• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Rangers werent relegated for most of the time. They spent beyond their means which they couldnt afford and went into liquidation. This wasnt a Juventus demoted for cheating this was a Wimbledon going bust and MK Dons starting up situation.

Im delighted to hear you enjoy watching Celtic on CL nights its a great watch no doubt but there is a lack of historical understanding. Celtic originally done 9 in a row over a period of time when they were crowned European Champions and reached another European final and reached two semi finals whilst other Scottish teams were actually decent in Europe with Rangers winning the cup winners cup.

When Rangers done 9iar Scottish teams in general were poor and Celtic themselves nearly went bankrupt. The first league title Rangers won Celtic finished 3rd then 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd and eventually 1st. Nobody remembers or cares that Celtic were nearly dead on their knees Rangers done their 9 and beat what was in front of them. Celtic have done the same. Its a massive achievement for any club and Im sure Bayern and Juventus wont downplay their domestic winning streak.

Its a bit frustrating when people say the Scottish league is one sided given City got over 100 points two seasons ago and nearly done the same last season. They won 24 domestic games by more than a goal with Celtic only doing the same 16 times. Or the fact Celtic beat St Johnstone 7 nil is proof Scottish football is one sided yet Man City duffing Chelsea 6 nil and won the FA cup final 6 nil isnt proof of the same?

I love the Premier League, its a fantastic league but needed to point out that a lot of what people say is either misinformed or oblivious to similar flaws in the EPL.
Good points and absolutely true. Not claiming to be historically informed about Celtic or the Scottish league and you did teach me a lesson about the history between two great clubs. There is a reason the world refers to the old firm as one of the spectacles in world football and it commands respect. A lot of what's been said back and forth the past weeks regarding Scottish League/PL is hyperbole banter with not a lot of substance to it.

Myself being from the Netherlands we have three clubs that won the Champions League/European Cup where Ajax won it multiple times and dominated domestically multiple periods. I would never claim any of those clubs to be bigger than Arsenal in world football today (Would I do that at any top team's forum, except Sp**s, I would be put in my place and banned within 5 minutes).

That is not what you are doing of course (it's the hurt exponents from the fanbase) as through your support for both clubs you're caught in between but you have the nuance to see the greatness and flaws in both of them.

WhatAFC

Its a bit frustrating when people say the Scottish league is one sided given City got over 100 points two seasons ago and nearly done the same last season. They won 24 domestic games by more than a goal with Celtic only doing the same 16 times. Or the fact Celtic beat St Johnstone 7 nil is proof Scottish football is one sided yet Man City duffing Chelsea 6 nil and won the FA cup final 6 nil isnt proof of the same?

I love the Premier League, its a fantastic league but needed to point out that a lot of what people say is either misinformed or oblivious to similar flaws in the EPL.
The last time a team other than Celtic or rangers won the league was nearly 35 years ago. In that same period there have been 9 different winners of the EPL.

Using a single season that a team got 100 points is just an awful argument. We won the league unbeaten, does that all of a sudden make the league one sided?

No one is saying the EPL isn’t flawed, just that the SPL is a poor standard of football with little to no real competitiveness.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Using a single season that a team got 100 points is just an awful argument. We won the league unbeaten, does that all of a sudden make the league one sided?
That isn't what he is saying. He isn't using a single out of context example (like LCFC would be). He is saying the EPL is becoming a one horse race and if you look at City's squad then you can't deny that. Unless of course you do not understand this sport at all. The 100 points was a symptom he is listing here. It WAS almost achieved twice within a very short space of time.

City are very definitely stronger than everyone else.

WhatAFC

That isn't what he is saying. He isn't using a single out of context example (like LCFC would be). He is saying the EPL is becoming a one horse race and if you look at City's squad then you can't deny that. Unless of course you do not understand this sport at all. The 100 points was a symptom he is listing here. It WAS almost achieved twice within a very short space of time.

City are very definitely stronger than everyone else.
They won the league by a single point last season. How are they definitely stronger than everyone else?

If you think the league is becoming a 1 horse race with only city winning the league then it is you who does not understand the sport at all.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The last time a team other than Celtic or rangers won the league was nearly 35 years ago. In that same period there have been 9 different winners of the EPL.

No one is saying the EPL isn’t flawed, just that the SPL is a poor standard of football with little to no real competitiveness.
I agree. But the EPL has and still remains a two horse race.

United Blackburn
United Arsenal
United Chelsea
United City
City Chelsea
City Liverpool.

La liga has been won by 3 teams other than Real or Barcelona in the last 18 years. The german league 6 other winners than Bayern in 18 years.

Football has become almost universally dominated by one or two teams domestically. The influx of modern money helps that where most money goes to the top teams who in turn qualify for the CL which reinforces the status quo. Celtic and Rangers have stadiums three times and twice as big as Abereen. The SPFL tv deal is awful (thanks Sky) but then Celtic get 20m for CL qualification. Financially because of stadium size, CL or European revenue, sponsorship revenue due to size and exposure they blow evey other team in Scotland away. But like ourselves and United that has been done through hard work and not money being handed to them. It handicaps Scottish teams but thats not the fault of Celtic.

In context the top 4 in England, Spain, Italy and Germany get auto CL qualification extra money and have stadiums in comparison of relative size. The European system hands those teams an advantage it does not hand Scottish teams. If the top 4 in Scotland got auto qualification even to the Europa league the gap would be bridged and there may be an odd winner as we see elsewhere.

The other difference with the EPL is foreign money lifted Chelsea and City, without that the EPL would have been a duopoly between Arsenal and United.

So yes the SPFL isnt as good as EPL. But it has issues with competition albeit in a different manner and those issues would be worse if it wasnt for oil money.

Last edited:

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I hope we show our usual class with the announcement - this lad has been Celtic all his life, and pulling on another shirt is bound to bring on mixed emotions for him
I have to admit this gave me butterflies. Cant wait for the announcement and itll be done in the right way unlike that Koscielny video.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Making an excel sheet of all incomings and outgoings this summer. Anything known about the structure of the deal? 20+5 addons?

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
If Sp**s have Sessegnon, which is closer to reality now, the comparison between Tierney and Sessegnon is unavoidable.

Tierney has an advantage of lower price for now.
And also the advantage of actually being a far better LB. There will be no comparisons.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

No one cares about some silly add ons anyway. We got money to burn, motherf*ckers.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I bet we sell Iwobi and break even. Only at Arsenal! :lol:
Not the worst thing. Liverpools big spending went on the back of a big sale. Thats how clubs outside City and PSG work.

Itll be interesting to see Real and Barcelonas netspend come the end of their window.

Hooplehead

Hearing that the deal still isn't actually finalized, KT has been allowed to go for a medical and discuss terms but Arsenal still haven't agreed to Celtic's sell on clause and unless they do the deal will be off.

Been told that the sell on is for 25% :eek:....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom