• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2019/20: The race for Europe

Where do you predict we will finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

goonerfamily

On paper, I think we should finish fourth and the pressure will be on Emery this season.

Having said this, I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Chelsea and United. Chelsea are undoubtedly weaker this season but there's absolutely no pressure on them due to their transfer ban. Plus, by all accounts, a lot of their young players are talented and might surprise us. Plus, Lampard has always come across as intelligent and no doubt the fans will back him. In terms of united, even though their transfer window has been funny, they have fundamentally addressed their leaky defence (which conceded more PL goals than us FFS!). Even though they overpaid for Maguire and Wan-Bissaka both are good PL proven defenders - I rate them more highly than our defenders.

I wouldn't 100% rule out Leicester, Everton and West Ham being in the race this year, especially Leicester

GunnerUK

I voted 1st

:cool:

One of Liverpool or City will drop off and won’t carry that same form from season last. Chelsea, Sp**s, & Utd are nothing clubs..

We’ll reign again

ARSENAL - PRIDE - LONDON

Iceman10

Established Member
If Xhaka doesn't perform the manager has to be decisive and bench him because the CM blend and effectiveness could be critical. These types of decisions are what the manager will be accountable for come the end of the season. I agree the squad he has is good enough for CL qualification. If he gets there via. an EL win instead of PL table position he likely would still scrape through.

At the end of the day if Emery can't get us CL qualification with this squad he isn't a manager who could ever get into a debate of being on the same level as Klopp, Pep, and Poch, and that would mean we would need someone else for the project to get back to the top. Not saying Emery isn't a top manager at this point; just don't know, have an open mind going into this season.

ASIF

We have signed four 1st team players much better then what we had and bellerin coming back will be like a new signing.Tierney and bellerin are perfect for what Emery was trying to do with Kola and niles.Imagine tierney and bellerin in Emery system.Plus a world class prospect Pepe on the wings rather then iwobi and Mkhitaryan is a massive upgrade.Dani ceballos looks the best mid fielder in preseason and is very skillful dribble which we have been missing for years.Then David Luiz who I think is a wonderful player and a perfect partner for either sokratis and Holding.I believe we will fight for the title because on man city are way ahead of us.Liverpool will not be able to keep last season consistency.If Man city have a bad few weeks title challenge is on.

baccy_man

Established Member
With the players that we have brought in and Emery having his second season and players that he wanted i think we can get 2nd or 3rd place this season,
We should definitely be playing champions league football the following season,
Hopefully our new signings won't take too long to get settled into the squad and the tempo of the league.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Here is the dilemma for me, front line setup at the away matches.

1. Özil always catches a cold/has a tummy ache/ gets married on those days. It's safe to say he will start many of these on the bench.

2. Auba LW. It's counter intuitive in that he shouldn't be limiting his attacking threat by having to track back.

3. Failing that, we love to play Mkhi wide on away days for his defensive work rate. Sure he tries harder than Özil or auba on the wings, but being one of the most mentally weak players at the club, not the ideal starter on a cold night oop north

4. Iwobi sold, kids are too young.

I'd say most balanced setup would be 4 4 2 diamond away. We can't be as exposed down the wings, but still need to keep threat of our 2 strikers, plus we need to congest the middle to dominate the central battle and cover your fullbacks.

Ramsey would be great at the tip of diamond

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
If Xhaka doesn't perform the manager has to be decisive and bench him because the CM blend and effectiveness could be critical. These types of decisions are what the manager will be accountable for come the end of the season. I agree the squad he has is good enough for CL qualification. If he gets there via. an EL win instead of PL table position he likely would still scrape through.

At the end of the day if Emery can't get us CL qualification with this squad he isn't a manager who could ever get into a debate of being on the same level as Klopp, Pep, and Poch, and that would mean we would need someone else for the project to get back to the top. Not saying Emery isn't a top manager at this point; just don't know, have an open mind going into this season.

I agree with Klopp and Pep but what has Pochettino achieved to become a benchmark for Emery? let alone being grouped with Pep and Klopp.

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member
I agree with Klopp and Pep but what has Poch achieved to become a benchmark for Emery? let alone being grouped with Pep and Klopp.

I went back and forth including his name there. Just have to go on results. One could say the CL is a cup competition, but they did make the CL final, and they have leapfrogged us for now with comparable, if not inferior, finances. Maybe not on the same level as Klopp and Pep, but even if we equaled overall management at Sp**s that would be a step up (imo) for us. In some ways I could go back and forth on Pep somewhat based on City's finances and circumstances of a golden generation from La Masia at Barca.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
I am also on board with those saying third. Fourth wouldn't be a disaster or anything, but surely something has to give. You'd expect Sp**s and Liverpool to hit a glass ceiling at some point, to lose some of their hunger after having so many overperforming players for so long, then United and Chelsea have been weakened if anyhing (especially compared to how they looked on paper last summer.) No chance we catch City and the same applies for the scousers as long as they don't lose some modjo after that CL win, but the rest we should be able to surpass.

DasBootist

Having put a benna on us to win the league @ 50/1, my mind and vote say third place is the most probable outcome.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I voted 3rd. It’s absolutely in our sights.

We were weak last year in many positions: LB, CB, RB without Hector, our midfield was overrun so often after Lucas seemed to tire out, we needed pace and better dribbling out wide.

Once he’s healthy, Tierney certainly looks better than Kola and Nacho. We’ve gotten rid of Kos, who’s just past it, and added a guy in David Luiz who I think too many of us are underrating. Hector’s return is admittedly up in the air. Lots of guys come back well from ligament ruptures, but we’ll see. I back him if he can get healthy.

Ceballos upgrades our midfield immediately. Lucas has had his year to learn. I think he’ll be ready to make his step to nailed on starter.

And the attack will be way more dynamic with Pepe and any combo of Auba, Laca, or Nelson. Mesut is the wild card. I have no idea how he’ll play this year. But I believe he can still be a part of a devastating attack.

We seem to have upgraded in all the weak spots. It’s Emery’s time to bring this squad together. Long season, so no guarantees. But I intend to enjoy the ride this year. And we’ll finish 3rd. Title challenge next year.

Victoria Concordia Crescit
COYG

FluffyDoozi

No excuses for Emery if we fail to get top four with the squad we have. Think we finish fourth because it will take up to November to get three of our back four in top form.
The main issues have been the away form which should improve with a direct dribbler in Pepe and better ball players in Ceballos, Luiz.

zilfy

I think we would have had 4th (or 3rd) easily if bellerin and holding had stayed fit. So their return alone should be enough to make the jump.

Then add in all the quality we bought and it should be a safe bet. I hope it's a safe bet, I put a lot of money on a top 4 spot!

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
We have to settle quickly and get our defensive organization in check if we want to have any chance of a third spot this season.

Realistically I see us finishing fourth and comfortably so if Emery is the real deal. We are still not the finished article in areas in defense, midfield and out wide. However we have done enough for a serious challenge for the CL.

Players that we should not have let go are Ramsey and Koscielny. That would have our us comfortably third best in the PL, with all our added signings.

Finally, we need to keep our eyes on Jardim this season, I see him as Emery’s successor next year.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I voted 4th mainly because I am a little concerned about the first couple of months. If Bellerin, Tierney and Holding were fit and had preseason I would aim higher but I don't think our first XI is going to look a lot different than last year until October. Add in Pepe and Ceballos bedding in, Torreira having next to no preseason and a few tricky fixtures early on and I could see us having an unspectacular start.

On a positive note once we get our first XI on the pitch and they start clicking we look to have a really exciting team who could play some devastating football.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I went for 4th, which is the aim. I think City and Pool are the top 2 while Sp**s are still slightly better than us but the gap is very very small now.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom