• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2019/20: The race for Europe

Where do you predict we will finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The substitutions is a weird one, my gut feeling is that it won't be followed at all. Players walking to the benches is just so ingrained in how the game is played.
It's the best change of all. What is ingrained is the fact a team can waste over a minute per substitution in the knowledge they won't have to play the time. Easily enforced if the player is sent off if he takes the long walk. Once that happens it won't happen again.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.
This is very interesting. But it makes sense.

If taking the quick free kick restores said goalscoring opportunity then a player should not be punished for denying it.

If Laca and Auba are through on goal and Vertonghen takes out Auba outside the box, Auba could quickly get up and pass it to Laca who would still be through on goal.

It's going to be mad though: Auba would have to decide if putting Laca through in goal is more beneficial than the Vertonghen red card and he would have to decide quickly because some other Sp**s mug would also be chasing back and may have caught up during the foul and taking of the free kick.

edit: Spend all this time creating an example and @albakos has already done it. Fuming.

ChefMan21

Actually that is the best rule I see.
It is beyond irritating when on final minutes of play, the players walk slowly, pretend to be tired, clap at the fans, pull their socks as they stroll etc...

The quick-free kick is interesting as the balancing act might prove costly for the attacking team.

Imagine as we have a counter, a defender clatters into Laca with a dangerous two-footed tackle. Özil quickly takes the free kick to Auba, who gets one-on-one with teh keeper and then misses.

Instead of a sending off to oppo defender, due to that quick free kick, only a yellow will be given
I think with the substitutions there should be a 30 second 'shot clock'. End of the shot clock and you're not off, it's a penalty from the spot and a £250k fine for the club. Make it hurt.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
About the season: I expect us to get 4th. I do not think Manu have strengthened enough and a lot of the bad blood in the club is still there. Lukaku might have been a lump but he was often a threat, they now have Rashford and not much more - a spent Sanchez, an irregular Martial - and he is not a great goalscorer. Hard to see where their goals will come from.

Chelsea are weaker, full stop. Hazard carried them last season and he is no longer there. I think they will regret selling us Luiz, whether he's a success with us we'll see but they'll definitely miss him.

Can we catch the other three? Let's see. On paper only Sp uds are catchable based on last season but stranger things have happened. We have two games we really must try and win and then the third game is away at Liverpool Even a draw there would be a real statement of intent.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
true dat. chelsea sure seem to help us out from time to time. The loan of Benayoun after the 8-2 will always be appreciated. Hope Giroud has repaid the debt somewhat.

Also with Cech while we hoped he would improve us, and he did in first season, we still knew he was on a decline. With Luiz it is agreed he is right now the best he has ever been. With experience he has cut down on the howlers (which still happen now and then, hopefully he cuts them down even further). Also with Cech as with any GK apart from perhaps transmitting a calmer vibe and confidence to his defence, they don't have that much influence on the actual play (this was the days before GK's were expected to be good with their feet). With Luiz and his great range of passing he can definitely have a big influence in our play and bridging the gap from defence to midfield and even to the attack.

Lastly the fee is also different. £10m for a GK 5 years ago was still a sizeable amount. £8m im this current market for a CB is basically chicken feed.

Aevi

Hale End FC
The BBC pundit predictions have us placed at 4th for the most part.

kvpc3komjgf31.jpg

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wow Sp**s really are favourites for third. I don't get it. They don't actually have a starting quality right back. They sold Trippier and didn't replace him or am I missing something? Alderweireld is sitting out his contract and Foyth is terrible. They failed to get in another forward so are once again reliant on Kane. Ndombele will be Good, but is Lo Celso some sort of Premier League ready player that I am unaware of. I guess Ericksen wanting to leave has no effect and their manager clearly being unhappy with transfers is fine. But on top of it, they are coming off another season of disappointment and falling short and still only managed 4th by one point.

Iceman10

Established Member
We have this tricky fixture away at Newcastle, not necessarily because the opponent and venue is imposing, but because of squad circumstances resulting with us being very short, especially out wide. Then we have Burnley at the Emirates, but after that is Liverpool away and Sp**s at home. Just hope we can scrape a result at St James's Park because otherwise there is potential for a lot of gloom after those first four matches. A challenge in general is to minimise bad results during first 2-3 months, until we are at full strength and have new players settled in.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Absolute no excuse not to finish in the Top 4 this season, after our squad overhaul this summer.

No Top 4 place, no Emery for 2020/21.

I'm going for 4th place this season, just.
Isn’t the third season in his contract an option? Would make it easy for the club to cut him loose if we fall short.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Whereas Owen has as 6th.
If not for Pepe and Luiz/ceballos signings, I'm sure he would be predicting everton to displace us from the top 6.

Incredible how bitter the little man is. Bet he never gets laid, the boring prick
Whereas Owen has as 6th.
If not for Pepe and Luiz/ceballos signings, I'm sure he would be predicting everton to displace us from the top 6.

Incredible how bitter the little man is. Bet he never gets laid, the boring prick
He is dirt. After Maradona he is the second biggest cheating ex-player alive.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
We have this tricky fixture away at Newcastle, not necessarily because the opponent and venue is imposing, but because of squad circumstances resulting with us being very short, especially out wide. Then we have Burnley at the Emirates, but after that is Liverpool away and Sp**s at home. Just hope we can scrape a result at St James's Park because otherwise there is potential for a lot of gloom after those first four matches. A challenge in general is to minimise bad results during first 2-3 months, until we are at full strength and have new players settled in.
I'll be delighted with 10 points from our first four games. Fewer than 7 would be worrying.

On the Sp uds question, they are favourites for 3rd because they were well ahead most of the season, have added decent players and not lost anyone.

We'll need to step up a couple of gears to overhaul them this season. I hope we will but I'm not certain we will.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom