• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Newcastle vs Arsenal | Sunday, 14:00 BST | Sky Sports

What is you predicted result?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaoz_Enigma

That is some team. This is the strongest squad we’ve had in the emirates era, especially considering Saliba will be joining up next summer.
Just give lacazette the no 10 spot. Since emery likes his no 10 as terrier-like defensive forward. He's suitable for it as an AM and auba can be freed to do what he do best as an out and out striker. Hey they can be and replicate the next rooney-vanpersie style of play. Özil gotta be elsewhere though...

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
It’s extremely annoying. We end up with a 4-2-4 shape because the CAM, wide forwards and striker are all squeezed up trying to press high. We are constantly light in midfield.

A team with defenders capable of bringing the ball out and finding forwards/wingers with quality rangey passes can get away with it, but we aren’t that. Well Luiz will help but still, we rely on midfielders and full backs to create from deep.

Xhaka and Guendouzi aren’t sufficiently creative to play quick incisive passes from deep so we end up with loads of pointless U shaped possession in front of the opposition, and often struggle to build any kind of rhythm in our attacking transitions.

The goal today came from a Newcastle mistake. They couldn’t recover their shape after Ainsley’s interception and run and we used our pace on the counter. Simple.

Honestly nobody will care because we won and kept a clean sheet, which is great, but it bothers me that one small, obvious tweak could see this team explode and we aren’t even trying it.
Top posting mate.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
It’s extremely annoying. We end up with a 4-2-4 shape because the CAM, wide forwards and striker are all squeezed up trying to press high. We are constantly light in midfield.

A team with defenders capable of bringing the ball out and finding forwards/wingers with quality rangey passes can get away with it, but we aren’t that. Well Luiz will help but still, we rely on midfielders and full backs to create from deep.

Xhaka and Guendouzi aren’t sufficiently creative to play quick incisive passes from deep so we end up with loads of pointless U shaped possession in front of the opposition, and often struggle to build any kind of rhythm in our attacking transitions.

The goal today came from a Newcastle mistake. They couldn’t recover their shape after Ainsley’s interception and run and we used our pace on the counter. Simple.

Honestly nobody will care because we won and kept a clean sheet, which is great, but it bothers me that one small, obvious tweak could see this team explode and we aren’t even trying it.

Xhaka guendouzi is a bad pairing, both of them have to play with a different type of player next to them or we will continue to see the same issues.. Not to mention they are both so slow-footed they’d be overrun by any good athletic midfield defensively.

EBwK3PHX4AEx99Z

Midfield is basically irrelevant, fullbacks are the ones progressing our play forward.. Hopefully when we get to see our strongest line up that would change.

ptrcopp

Xhaka guendouzi is a bad pairing, both of them have to play with a different type of player next to them or we will continue to see the same issues.. Not to mention they are both so slow-footed they’d be overrun by any good athletic midfield defensively.

EBwK3PHX4AEx99Z

Midfield is basically irrelevant, fullbacks are the ones progressing our play forward.. Hopefully when we get to see our strongest line up that would change.

When you look at the pass maps of City and Sp**s - who both played opposition with similar defensive focus - there is also high activity on the wings. The main difference is that we operate with a double pivot of Guen and Xhaka whereas both City and Sp**s used a single pivot of Rodri and Winks. It slows down transition because there are fewer options in forward positions.

City had both Silva and de Bruyne in central positions, Sp**s had Sissoko and Ndombole - we had Willock. Mhiki came into the area and we looked best on the counter when he did. But the right hand side is empty and there’s one less option In attack.

I think this is why we look so bad in midfield and why were so easy to defend against. It limits options in many ways. Typical for our play is that we attack down one flank with full back, winger and CAM. The attack slows it’s passed back to one of the pivot then it goes across to the other pivot. He looks out to the other flank and there’s a lonely full back because the other winger has tucked in to support the striker.

As many other posters have been saying, we need pace in our attack. That doesn’t mean quick players, it means direct and purposeful passing.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I’m seeing a lot of tactical analysis/criticism and while I’m not sh*tting on anyone’s opinion it all seems a bit too much for a decimated match-day one squad.

I’ll hold off on my opinions until Pepe, Ceballos and Tierney are all starting. Those are the key players he wanted to sign so I assume he has plans for them. Probably worth waiting for Bellerin to return as well but AMN can match him on his good days.

Finesse

I think we have to look at last season and build from there. Last season we were great on home form and were 3rd behind City and Liverpool with points won. The away stats were woeful for us. Liverpool and City picked up 44 and we picked up 25. With the likes of Palace (25)and Leicester picking up more points away than we could.

With the above we should structure our building for this season. Week one saw us concede non and score one and picked up 3 points. That is a good start. Emery set up with this in mind. 2 pivots in Xhaka and Mathieu to protect the defence and keep possession. Relying on the wingers and full backs to create and score. Keeping the shape and staying compact. We don’t wanna to be chasing the lead on away games. We did that a lot last year and we lost too many points . Until we have got a good start and approach for away games.....then we can start feeling confident to start playing expansive like City or Pool who have a lot of confidence in their away approach. One step at a time. Emery inherited this away form mental uncertainty factor and he is still dealing with it. This is what finally nailed Arsène. The away form.

Our next fixture is a home tie and we are very confident and expansive at home. It’s clear in the body language and conviction of the players in front of the home crowd. We always have and Emery will change his side around.

For now we should concentrate on Emery building his side using what he learned last season and the new arrivals. He has a conviction on how and he needs to set up to who fits into it to get us into shape to stay close to City and Liverpool. That’s the step by step objective. Pep and Klopp went through the same building process. Today they approach away games with such confidence and vim so much so that the opponents feel intimidated. We are work in progress on that department. Emery addresses this and we would be bang in the middle of Liverpool and City. Then our players and their characters will take us where it can. That extra that comes from the feel good factor.

We are on track. Emery has all the pressure on his shoulder to deliver.

Gooner_girl14

I for one am delighted with the result and overall performance. Game was pretty boring overall, but considering our depleted squad, terrible away record last season and poor starts in recent seasons, I would have been happy with a draw tbh. To get all 3 points and a clean sheet is terrific. My main take-aways from the game:
- Chambers was rock solid. Think the experience at Fulham and battling relegation has reallly helped.
- Maitland-Niles was very good and got a nice assist. Hope he stays fit.
- Mhiki can be so frustrating and inconsistent, but overall he was one of our most creative players. Hope we can capitalise more on his obvious understanding with Auba.
- Nelson looks promising with some nice ball control and passes. Thought he played it a bit safe but nothing wrong with that I suppose.
- Ceballos grew into the game. Some loose passes at first but that improved. I like him already and think he will be very useful.

Was getting worried before we scored that it was going to be a dull and uninspiring draw, but after Auba's nice touch and finish, thought we controlled the remainder of the game well and Newcastle didn't have much left in the tank.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Don Raul. What a man.

Two full starting elevens and the only outright liability is Mkhi. Gone are the days of carrying established players who just weren’t good enough.
Arsenal B can make top 4, what a guy. Gracias Raul.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade

EBwK3PHX4AEx99Z

That’s what I keep saying... only I didn’t have any scheme... thank you for it... confirms what I don’t like from Emery lineup... I want a game of Torreira - Willock/Ceballos

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
When you look at the pass maps of City and Sp**s - who both played opposition with similar defensive focus - there is also high activity on the wings. The main difference is that we operate with a double pivot of Guen and Xhaka whereas both City and Sp**s used a single pivot of Rodri and Winks. It slows down transition because there are fewer options in forward positions.

City had both Silva and de Bruyne in central positions, Sp**s had Sissoko and Ndombole - we had Willock. Mhiki came into the area and we looked best on the counter when he did. But the right hand side is empty and there’s one less option In attack.

I think this is why we look so bad in midfield and why were so easy to defend against. It limits options in many ways. Typical for our play is that we attack down one flank with full back, winger and CAM. The attack slows it’s passed back to one of the pivot then it goes across to the other pivot. He looks out to the other flank and there’s a lonely full back because the other winger has tucked in to support the striker.

As many other posters have been saying, we need pace in our attack. That doesn’t mean quick players, it means direct and purposeful passing.
I agree... something one Manager told when I played... ball is faster than any player... a quick pass is faster than you carrying the ball. That’s why we need as you say only one pivot.

ASIF

Damn that was 10 years ago!? Where has the time gone!?

What a day. What a start to the season.

10 years ago....what the hell have I done with the last ten years of my life!? :lol:
Cesc Fabregas what a beautiful player He was.As a kid I absolutely adored him.I bet he regrets leaving the Arsenal now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom