• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

You’re an intelligent poster. The first receiver/deepest midfielder is always going to be targeted. He has to be able to cope with that, de minimis.

Look, in fairness I agree that Emery’s midfield set up reduces passing lanes out from the back. Xhaka would be much better served in a 3 than a 2. I have no idea why he doesn’t do it.

Having said that you also need a player who can bring the ball out from the back sometimes or drop a shoulder and bypass a press. It’s the premier league and no team will sit by and let you play.

There are many worse players than him but this is Arsenal. DM and CB have consistently been our weakest positions since 2004 and that’s just unacceptable for a club this size.
Hoping that with the addition of Ceballos and Luiz and the progress of Douzi that we can transition to a three man midfield or have the option to drop Granit if he continues to disappoint.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Hoping that with the addition of Ceballos and Luiz and the progress of Douzi that we can transition to a three man midfield or have the option to drop Granit if he continues to disappoint.
Supported by the right partners Xhaka would do fine in a 3, IMO

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Stats wise he was actually extremly similiar to Guendozi with near identical passing stats. And really general stats.

Guendouzi actually lost more duels (8) and won less (5) and recovered the ball less as well (4). He did intercept the ball more though (2). He also won the (1) tackle he attempted in the game.

While Xhaka has lost less duels (5), won more (7) and recovered the ball a lot more (8). He had (0) interceptions and won 2 of the 3 tackles he won in the game.

Guen had also one more clearance and I could go on, but the gist is that they had a near identical game yet both have two very angry sections where 1 person says Guen/Xhaka MOTM game while the other says bin him immediatly.

Truth is, they both had just an *ok*/mediocre game. Neither had amazing passing stats, nor did they really contribute to our attack except for 1/2 key passes nor did they do so well defensivly. Both instead just played the ball sideways to the wings and let them do all the work.

Xhaka/Guendozi continues to be our most mediocre (*exceptionElneny) midfield pairing. They're way too similiar and Guendozi's positioning (which is understandable considering his age) doesn't help their coordination.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Stats wise he was actually extremly similiar to Guendozi with near identical passing stats. And really general stats.

Guendouzi actually lost more duels (8) and won less (5) and recovered the ball less as well (4). He did intercept the ball more though (2). He also won the (1) tackle he attempted in the game.

While Xhaka has lost less duels (5), won more (7) and recovered the ball a lot more (8). He had (0) interceptions and won 2 of the 3 tackles he won in the game.

Guen had also one more clearance and I could go on, but the gist is that they had a near identical game yet both have two very angry sections where 1 person says Guen/Xhaka MOTM game while the other says bin him immediatly.

Truth is, they both had just an *ok*/mediocre game. Neither had amazing passing stats, nor did they really contribute to our attack except for 1/2 key passes nor did they do so well defensivly. Both instead just played the ball sideways to the wings and let them do all the work.

Xhaka/Guendozi continues to be our most mediocre (*exceptionElneny) midfield pairing. They're way too similiar and Guendozi's positioning (which is understandable considering his age) doesn't help their coordination.
Lovely post which completely ignores the fact the Guendouzi was in ligue 2 like 18 months ago and is only 20. Xhaka on the other hand is 26 and has been in the top leagues for quite some time now.
If people aren't going to take that into consideration then what is the point comparing the two?

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I don't see how a change in formation is going to help him either. He makes similar errors for the Swiss team too.

He lacks the ability to think swiftly. No matter what the formation, he is is going to **** up. He did not give away possession due to lack of options. He made errors in spite of plenty of options being available. He will thrive well in a league that doesn't press more often. Hard to survive in premier league these days. And of course, the penalties he conceded aren't related to the formation anyway.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I don't see how a change in formation is going to help him either. He makes similar errors for the Swiss team too.

He lacks the ability to think swiftly. No matter what the formation, he is is going to **** up. He did not give away possession due to lack of options. He made errors in spite of plenty of options being available. He will thrive well in a league that doesn't press more often. Hard to survive in premier league these days. And of course, the penalties he conceded aren't related to the formation anyway.
He really has made his more than fair share of poor decisions over his time with us. Misplaced passes leading to goals, silly challenges etc. he just doesn’t seem to be a player to me that has enough upside despite this to be kept around much longer. If he leaves next transfer window I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

I remember him passing the ball directly to Ronaldo when playing for Switzerland. It's like he doesn't see opposition players sometimes and passes the ball to a team mate not knowing there's people in-between.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Lovely post which completely ignores the fact the Guendouzi was in ligue 2 like 18 months ago and is only 20. Xhaka on the other hand is 26 and has been in the top leagues for quite some time now.
If people aren't going to take that into consideration then what is the point comparing the two?

Wtf you just critizised One poster for bringing up stats from the past

And yet your defense of Guendozi is His past?

Be consistent ffs, you are usually better!

Stats alone doesnt paint the whole picture

Xhaka can hit 20 Good passes but if thr recipient doesnt recieve it properly it counts against Xhaka in the stats and eyes of the haterz

A large part of defense is positioning.
Guendozi being all over the place hurts the team.
While when Xhaka does it right there might not even be a duel/tackor/intercep for him to bolster His stats.
And those he ends Up with and losses can often be down to being overwhelmed or having to try to bail guendozi or someone else out...

Especially If Monreal is playing, he is a master alibi player, does enough so it looks like he defends and doesnt get made personally but transfer the risk to someone else regardless of their position!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Clearly you didn't understand the fact that I was pointing out that comparing a seasoned player with one who has recently been moved up to the top leagues is ridiculous. Show the stats I listed there other than their respective ages... Statistics which Can't be manipulated or skewed...

Statistics are not the same thing as the past either so I have no idea what you're even on about.

Garbage response really.

Jae

Statistics are just that. Statistics. They only tell half the story, and

His "stats" may have been better, but watch that game again and tell me who on earth would think that Xhaka had a better game than Guendouzi (on balance)?

Like I said in one of my previous posts. 90% of the rags and the likes of Whoscored rated Guendouzi higher than Xhaka in the Newcastle game. The other 10% had them equal.

I can see the point that @Mark Tobias is trying to make. Should our "Captain" who has been playing at a top level for a vast majority of his career at 26 years old, a prominent and experienced player for a good international Swiss team, be getting outplayed by a 20 year old kid who nobody had ever heard of before last season and was playing in a Mickey Mouse League.

The fact that we are even comparing them both says more about Xhaka than it does Guendouzi.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League

Xhaka can hit 20 Good passes but if thr recipient doesnt recieve it properly it counts against Xhaka in the stats and eyes of the haterz

While when Xhaka does it right there might not even be a duel/tackor/intercep for him to bolster His stats.
And those he ends Up with and losses can often be down to being overwhelmed or having to try to bail guendozi or someone else out...

Especially If Monreal is playing, he is a master alibi player, does enough so it looks like he defends and doesnt get made personally but transfer the risk to someone else regardless of their position!
Xhaka puts himself into good positions only to fail.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

Starting to see what people mean when they talk about users on here having agendas. Monreal comes into the team and puts in a decent performance but you can't even bring yourself to give him credit. Sad.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Starting to see what people mean when they talk about users on here having agendas. Monreal comes into the team and puts in a decent performance but you can't even bring yourself to give him credit. Sad.
Monreal had some poor moments last season and he isn't the player he was 3 years ago but I completely agree... He was fine against NC.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Xhaka is the kind of player who will make errors for the rest of his career. He's been doing it since he joined, his errors are similar to Mustafi's because they are so bad, its always a wtf moment, like passing straight to the opposition. I don't know what it is, maybe he just has the move in his head and sees it through regardless of who has moved into the space. Someone should compile all his errors, I'm sure they would all look similar.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Xhaka is the kind of player who will make errors for the rest of his career. He's been doing it since he joined, his errors are similar to Mustafi's because they are so bad, its always a wtf moment, like passing straight to the opposition. I don't know what it is, maybe he just has the move in his head and sees it through regardless of who has moved into the space. Someone should compile all his errors, I'm sure they would all look similar.
This is the thing. What he does do, he does quite well.. Claiming he has a good record for cards is all well and good over his career but we are focused on Arsenal and what he has done here. He's picked up 26 yellow cards in 2 seasons for us. One of those in the first game of the season for an absolutely needless challenge.
I'd love it if he was one of our squad options as I feel that is his level. But to build a title winning squad he is simply not a good ingredient.
I agree with you his mistakes seem to be of a similar nature all the time. I still maintain he was a fair deal better last season than the one before and I am hoping he gives us more of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom