• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I wont be doing anything of the sort.

What is important is that I see some semblance of structure and planning, much like the likes of Southampton do when playing them. Not basing my measurement on whether it works out, in an all or nothing type analysis.
Plucky S'oton, eh? Wouldn't read to much into what they or other teams have shown while losing to Liverpool. They all lost. We all know if we avoid defeat and look lucky doing it, Emery will still get criticised for not doing something or other, and we'll still be walking dead men, benefiting from our strikers' false xG stats that are going to fall through the floor at any moment.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Plucky S'oton, eh? Wouldn't read to much into what they or other teams have shown while losing to Liverpool. They all lost. We all know if we avoid defeat and look lucky doing it, Emery will still get criticised for not doing something or other, and we'll still be walking dead men, benefiting from our strikers' false xG stats that are going to fall through the floor at any moment.

I think you made the point at some stage, that our objective should not be beautiful football, but a pragmatic dash for the Champions League.

Whereas I am not a fan of such an approach I find it hard to disagree with this point. We need to understand what our priorities are in the short term, and do what is necessary to get there.

A point at Liverpool is what I wanted in the first place. Bare minimum is not to get humiliated again. That would be enough for me this weekend.
People who say otherwise are subjecting us to their inner bias and not looking at the situation for what it is right now.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think you made the point at some stage, that our objective should not be beautiful football, but a pragmatic dash for the Champions League.

Whereas I am not a fan of such an approach I find it hard to disagree with this point. We need to understand what our priorities are in the short term, and do what is necessary to get there.

A point at Liverpool is what I wanted in the first place. Bare minimum is not to get humiliated again. That would be enough for me this weekend.
People who say otherwise are subjecting us to their inner bias and not looking at the situation for what it is right now.

Nah mate, not me. I don't recall that! I want to see progress first and foremost. The rest should take care of itself.

CL football in the first year at all costs was initially thought to be the ideal start, because many were under the impression we badly needed the money and status to attract the players, which doesn't appear to have been the case now.

I'd take anything we can get at Anfield, by hook or by crook. I'm fully aware of where we are and now how much the team is going to change over the next few months, and just want us to remain intact and, as you say, to avoid those damaging humiliations.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Nah mate, not me. I don't recall that! I want to see progress first and foremost. The rest should take care of itself.

CL football in the first year at all costs was initially thought to be the ideal start, because many were under the impression we badly needed the money and status to attract the players, which doesn't appear to have been the case now.

I'd take anything we can get at Anfield, by hook or by crook. I'm fully aware of where we are and now how much the team is going to change over the next few months, and just want us to remain intact and, as you say, to avoid those damaging humiliations.
What we have done this transfer window is use money from future transfer windows to get signings now. The club certainly needs to qualify for the CL soon to be able to sustain this level of investment and hopefully to improve. Without that there will be a lot less than £45 million to spend next summer.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
What we have done this transfer window is use money from future transfer windows to get signings now. The club certainly needs to qualify for the CL soon to be able to sustain this level of investment and hopefully to improve. Without that there will be a lot less than £45 million to spend next summer.
On paper, we should be qualifying for the CL this season.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
On paper, we should be qualifying for the CL this season.
Hopefully. It's not the end of the world if we don't because the big players in the current squad have two/three seasons left at least and there's always the chance some of the young guys become important players. But if we don't do it by then we're ****ed because without new sources of finance we won't be able to make Laca/Auba/Pepe type signings.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Hopefully. It's not the end of the world if we don't because the big players in the current squad have two/three seasons left at least and there's always the chance some of the young guys become important players. But if we don't do it by then we're ****ed because without new sources of finance we won't be able to make Laca/Auba/Pepe type signings.
Özil will still have a year left, so a fee and getting him off the payroll will free up some cash! The youngsters will fill the gaps :drool:

progman07

Established Member
What I don't understand is that he is supposed to be very knowledgable tactically, yet we concede so many chances against any small useless team.

I just don't believe that conceding more shots at home (18) against Burnley than attempting (16) is due to our players not being able to defend.

What I noticed during our games is that our midfielders rarely connect properly (not just in the last game, but I picked it for example).

In the big home games last season, where we played well (e.g. Sp**s, Liverpool) we played a much tighter midfield.

5gmfmwp40mh31.jpg

For me this seems purely a structural issue, we let teams run past us, our midfield is not set up properly. We should be playing the midfield trio much closer to each other. The midfielders don't connect with each other, Guendouzi and Willock should have a much stronger connection if we want to control games better.

Compare our passing to the top teams, it is obvious they control the game through 1) midfielders being closer to the defenders, 2) passing between central players (either two CBs or two CMs):

5oggqgzut9j21.jpg

PMCity.jpg
WFjKjmm.jpg

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Not sure thats the case. We have paid back a lot of our larger outlays from 5 years back. Özil, Alexis, Xhaka, Mustafi. So that money on the books is freed up.

Weve also had a bigger cash injection from Adidas. We spent 140 odd million and brought in 45m. We havent finished this window yet so that could still imcrease further. Weve also had a lot of big earners off the books. We have also cut our managers salary significantly.

So not sure it was a one off splurge that gambled the clubs future or gambled everything on CL qualification or similar phrases.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Our long term projections when we moved to Emirates said we could go three seasons without CL, so we must qualify this season. We got our targets and we're still attractive but players still want CL appearances so it's vital imo.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Not sure thats the case. We have paid back a lot of our larger outlays from 5 years back. Özil, Alexis, Xhaka, Mustafi. So that money on the books is freed up.

Weve also had a bigger cash injection from Adidas. We spent 140 odd million and brought in 45m. We havent finished this window yet so that could still imcrease further. Weve also had a lot of big earners off the books. We have also cut our managers salary significantly.

So not sure it was a one off splurge that gambled the clubs future or gambled everything on CL qualification or similar phrases.
in an interview on Radio 5 Ornstein said there was a rumour, which he couldn't substantiate, that KSE had taken over the guarantee of our bank debt for the new stadium, freeing up the money we had had to keep in reserve

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
in an interview on Radio 5 Ornstein said there was a rumour, which he couldn't substantiate, that KSE had taken over the guarantee of our bank debt for the new stadium, freeing up the money we had had to keep in reserve

Didn't he also say several other sources denied this?

Last edited:

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Didn't he also said several other sources denied this?
yes he did - so why mention it? the Kroenkes don't have to be forthcoming about their finances now so who knows? it does explain a few things though, especially if we have big plans for January

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
yes he did - so why mention it? the Kroenkes don't have to be forthcoming about their finances now so who knows? it does explain a few things though, especially if we have big plans for January
It would make sense. If they want to win the fans over they have to be seen to be more proactive in helping the manager which they hadn't been until, perhaps, this summer.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters

He mentioned it because he was pressed on the matter. I do agree it makes a lot of sense. Taking over the guarantee of our bank debt frees up funds and doesn't directly hurt the pockets of Kroenke.

Kingofthebongo

I think the club had realized that football is in a huge bubble but instead of play the conservative game they are going to participate actively knowing that prices will in the future inflate - they are investing more now and banking on the future of the continuation of inflating (smart) assets. Spend everything you have smartly over as long a period as you can possibly draw it out to be.
I think it's just a new strategy and positioning for the club with regards to the transfer market.

Gegen Pressing

• yes he did - so why mention it? the Kroenkes don't have to be forthcoming about their finances now so who knows? it does explain a few things though, especially if we have big plans for January
Doomed already?
can't we just wait and see what happens Vs Klopp on Saturday first and then press panic button ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom