• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Liverpool vs Arsenal | Saturday, 17:30 BST | Sky Sports

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIF

Liverpool fan here. Sky put up a terrible stat for you whereby you havent beaten a top 6 side away since January 2015. Thats incredible.

So I wouldnt worry about losing at Anfield when we havent lost at Anfield in 2.5 years and our record here for the past 2 seasons is For/Against 100-20.

You need to look at improving that away record overall and against weaker sides before even thinking about winning here.

Overall we are still much stronger than you but you were better than before, theres definitely improvement.

Youre still in transition so the consistency with your team isnt going to be there in reality, it wont be a linear progress, its going to be up and down and im afraid youve just got to put up with it. To see the wood for the trees you can only analyse yourselves compared to last year, and its better than last year, there was more of a fight even at 3-0 down.
Its a game of fine margins had Aubameyang chip was 2 3 inches inside and Pepe buried that one on one.we would be having a different conversation but we didnt take our chances and liverpool punished us.but come to Emirates when bellerin and tierney are running up n down it would be a different story.

Manberg

Predator
On analysis I think we showed Liverpool too much respect and I'm disappointed at the lack of response to conceding. Our midfield did alright closing the ball down but were non existent in attack or on the ball. Cabellos was indeed awful but I hope he'll learn from it and adapt fast.

Now its out of the way, I'm looking forward to beating Sp**s. Must win, no ifs no buts.

Windowlicker

Unai is a good coach. And that's it.
A mistake to leave Laca and Torreira on the bench. We needed a coach in 2016/17/18 and out rivals got Kloop and Pep we settled for the B grade and today it showed. Still some encouraging signs

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Then you misunderstand me.

Where in my post did I mention titles or the Champions League?

Or that I expect us to compete for either?

All I'm saying, is that on a week to week basis, I don't expect us to get trashed by any team. It's that simple. A draw? Okay. Narrow defeat? Fine. We might not be able to put 38 games together and win the league but our players are supposed to be better than most players in world football.

We shouldn't be getting battered like this so often. We support Arsenal, not Bournemouth.
I took you saying our standards and expectations dropping off as being disappointed with not challenging the likes of Pool for titles, but I guess I assumed wrong.

Our players are better than most in world football, good enough for Europa league level. However, Liverpool have Champions League caliber players. Even when we had the likes of Vieira, Henry, Pires, and co., we were on the wrong end of some bad results.

I doubt anyone is happy with today's loss, but it's hard to rid the habit of losing. It takes time. We've had one too many bad defeats to our rivals, I reckon there's some psychological barrier that affects our play as well. On the other hand, we only get beat comprehensively against the top sides, which is perhaps telling, and an indicator of our true level.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We still ended up with 10 shoots. Sp**s last week had 2 shoots and ended up getting point because man city weren't clinical to score from thier f**king 30 shots. In these games you have to be clinical and we weren't we missed 3 good chances from pepe and auba

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

How would Laca have made a difference by starting? He would have gotten dominated by VVD and is too slow to get in behind.

It would have also shifted Auba out wide where he isn't great and forced him and Pepe to chase full-backs all game, killing our two most potent counter attacking weapons.

Manberg

Predator
In the first half I was criticising Pepe for doing nothing defensively on the right flank but it became clear that Emery instructed him to stay forward and cause mayhem on the counter. Almost worked because it created chances. I still don't think it's a good tactic, defending narrow and leaving the wide areas so exposed. So easy to draw defenders out. Felt like we were just waiting to concede and we had no control of the game.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think he wanted an extra man in midfield and hope the fullbacks would make up the width.

Right, but a poor match up to personnel available with our fullback positions weak in absence of Tierney and Bellerin. Particularly against Liverpool's full-backs. I guess it would be a gamble no matter what we did with our first team not ready to match theirs yet.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Clutching at straws maybe but we completed 87 percent of our passes today. Pretty impressive actually away to Liverpool and a welcome change from last year when we were below 80 most our matches.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Right, but a poor match up to personnel available with our fullback positions weak in absence of Tierney and Bellerin. Particularly against Liverpool's full-backs. I guess it would be a gamble no matter what we did with our first team not ready to match theirs yet.
It was either that or play 3 at the back.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
So playing like this guarentee you points? Lacazette Aubamyang Pepe together could have caused more trouble. By the way as soon as lacazette came in and he caused trouble.
It doesn't guarantee points, but neither did an attacking style, which we employed for the past decade plus, yielding minimal results, which is the point I'm trying to make. I didn't like Emery's team selection, but I don't blame him for trying something different.

Laca/Auba/Pepe may have caused more trouble, maybe not, but I do know that the majority of times we attempted to play attacking football in these big matches, we ended up getting hammered, including times when we had much better squads. I would have started Laca as well, but garbage time minutes in a 3-0 game isn't the best sample to judge.

Iceman10

Established Member
It was either that or play 3 at the back.

4-3-3 has been our regular formation in earlier games so far, and would have been a direct match-up, but maybe Laca was not fit to start. Anyway, just getting through a recording of the match. Up to 30 mins in so far, and I can see what some have said here in that were weren't too bad up to that point and had some half-chances of our own. Willock was actually looking pretty comfortable in CM. Ceballos, not so much, just a bit up and down bedding in at Arsenal so far.

Gegen Pressing

If we ended up attacking Liverpool one bad pass and the space will be all for Liverpool to attack its bad idea all teams who go there and want result have to sit deep and counter unless you are
man city Arsenal.
Tired of being timid, it's the first exciting game of the season, and we are scared of playing .

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

"pErSpEcTiVe.."

giphy.webp

Hey @Furious, I'm still waiting you showing how I have an agenda. I have always wanted to improve as a person. Did I miss your post? Or do you accuse me without evidence?

I'm all for letting women to wait for their reward in the end, but I have to tell you, I ain't no woman and this surely is no sex. So..?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Not about being scared is about being smart to get result we can go attack but we'll end up losing badly

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
How would Laca have made a difference by starting? He would have gotten dominated by VVD and is too slow to get in behind.

It would have also shifted Auba out wide where he isn't great and forced him and Pepe to chase full-backs all game, killing our two most potent counter attacking weapons.
Try to understand football for a moment. What makes Liverpool so dangerous is that Firmino occupies both CBs with his movement leaving Salah and Mane mostly 1v1 with a fullback and a full head of steam headed towards the box. What we did in the first half today was essentially play without a striker because Emery had everyone hiding in the middle of the park and Auba and Pepe both coming in from the flanks. Pepe was actually taking up the more central postions of the 2 in the first half. Because of that, Robertson and Alexander-Arnold were free to set up camp in our defensive third and ping in crosses at will. It also ensured that Liverpool had longer spells of possession since they always had options in acres of space on either flank to play the ball to and retain possession.

If Lacazette starts then you force both CBs to account for his movement meaning that Robertson has to drop back in to mind Pepe and Alexander Arnold has to drop back in to mind Auba. Instantly you take away Liverpool's ability to camp in the final third like they did and instead of having Auba and Pepe isolated when we did try to counter, now they have Laca to play off of and a less settled Liverpool backline to attack. It's unbelievably basic stuff. Pepe by himself put the fear of God into VVD and Robertson. If he actually had Lacazette to interplay with as well as drag attention away form him rather than having to wait for Auba to come over from the other side of the pitch he'd have been ever more dangerous. It was redundant to play Xhaka and Guendouzi together. It added nothing to the defensive gameplan. Lacazette would have both made us more dangerous going forward and helped us to take away such comfortable possession defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom