• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
I don't know what he has against Torreira and Laca. They are the ones showing some fight whenever the going gets tough and he drops them for all tough matches.

We gave their fullbacks the ball but flooded the box making it relatively difficult for their front 3. Had Laca played up top with Abua, than that long ball over the top into the channel wouldnt have been like one like it had been for Pepe.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
We need players back from injury and Emery to picked a settled team that can learn each others football inside out. He tinkers so much, every game is a new line up and system, its no wonder players look lost often or leave gaps open. No manager wins trophies like that right now, needs to get this team drilled and settled ASAP.
Very true. I don't think we have the players to achieve the chameleon characteristic Emery loves to employ. The only positive is that it looks like he's settled on a back four instead of alternating between a back three and back four. Needs to pick his best, most fit and most in-form players and trust them. There's too much quality in this squad not to rack up a 75-78 points total. Judging by the competition we probably wouldn't even need that many for Top 4 this season, compared to the last.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He’ll stay next season. Given the state of Chelsea and Utd it would be a huge failure not to secure at least 4th.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Torreira is weak.

giphy.gif

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We don't have the players for this style of football but it could be that Emery wants to create a culture of playing it and get players along the way, rather than adjusting his style based on the players we currently have.
The worst thing about this style is that you can't have a weak link, and currently we have 2-3 players who will never be able to play this style.

Yes to a certain extent but you can tell we don't even have a structure or plan as how we do it , we got pressed in by Burnley for long stretches and have seen plenty of other sides in this league play out better than we can .

RacingPhoton

Established Member
We gave their fullbacks the ball but flooded the box making it relatively difficult for their front 3. Had Laca played up top with Abua, than that long ball over the top into the channel wouldnt have been like one like it had been for Pepe.
No. I wanted Laca, Auba and Pepe to be played together. Move Ceballos back and drop one of Gendouzi/Xhaka.

I think that for me, the disappointment comes from the first two matches. After two games where I didn't think we were all that despite winning, I hoped to at least see a competitive game against Liverpool. It didn't quite pan out that way, having to combat pressure pretty much the whole time.
Last season during most of our unbeaten run, we also played like **** without a clear plan or with great dominance at stretches of the game. Some folks here argued that Emery was new and needed a little more time to instill his philosophy. A season later, we still don't dominate the Burnleys of this world and go into a big match as clueless as we always have been in recent times.

You see, each and every manager top manager has suffered humilating defeats in their first games in charge of their respective teams. The difference about them though is that how they wanted to play was visible even to the ordinary eye during those defeats. I recall Pool being defeated earlier in Kloops tenure but I had a feeling that his style of play would become something special in the future.
This is what worries me the most about Emery cos I dont see anything that makes me think that we are bound to become a force with him sometime in the future.

This certainly isn't knee jerk as some of you may think because of the Liverpool game. I just think that the waters here are a little too deep for him and I pray he proves me wrong but I think his level is Evertonish at best. The sooner we realise that, the sooner we get a proper manager in the sooner we rebuild to the old Arsenal we once knew.

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
There's one more thing that bugs me if the plan was to park the bus, why didn't we play Chambers as DMC to get more protection from all those crosses?
One of Douzi/Xhaka would've been enough in that case and Chambers could've played between CBs and midfield. My feeling is he is not as tactical as many people think here, he looks more like a guy who panics with his formation and selection.

JoaoFelix

It's been one year since he joined Arsenal. What's Emry's philosphy? Playing style? Lampard has joined Chelsea this summer but we can already see his playing style and his philosphy.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
I don't know what he has against Torreira and Laca. They are the ones showing some fight whenever the going gets tough and he drops them for all tough matches.

He has nothing against them. How do you come to this conclusion?

Torreria hasn't been match fit, whilst the rest of the midfielders have done well. Lost 5-1 with this same fixture last season, where Torreira cost us two goals.

Laca wasn't suited for the tactics he had in mind for this game because he's slow and weak. Simple.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think we aren’t being honest with ourselves if we expecting to see some sort of flair play under this manager. That is not his approach and I don’t think it will ever be. So commentary on why we don’t play faster, use the squad better, incorporate our best creative players, etcetera are important points, but misplaced in this situation I feel.

What is important for us this season is a return back to the Champions League, by hook or by crook. This manager is going to have us playing some unusual stuff, even when our full compliment is available again. We may just need to accept that and soldier on towards the promised land.

What I hope though is that we can continue to upgrade our squad, and that has been brilliant, and more importantly start to look beyond Emery. If we can get in a proper manager who understands our desired style and had demonstrated this at a high level then we should be replacing Unai with such a person next season. Right now, managers like Jardim, Tuchel, Ten-Haag, Favre, Nagelsman-Arteta need come to mind

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He has nothing against them. How do you come to this conclusion?

Torreria hasn't been match fit, whilst the rest of the midfielders have done well. Lost 5-1 with this same fixture last season, where Torreira cost us two goals.

Laca wasn't suited for the tactics he had in mind for this game because he's slow and weak. Simple.
Slow. Maybe. Weak? Only in the eyes of some blind haters. He just scored a goal when being pulled by three players. And you still come here telling the same theory that has been proved to be bullshit multiple times.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
People hitting on Emery is a joke. It’s just a reaction to the disappointment that the supposed mega window in ages has been exposed for what it was . . . Mediocre.

Ceballos is a talent but, he’s only on loan and totally went missing in a 100mile an hour Prem explosion. Ramsey better.

Luiz is an improvement on Mustafi but was far from what was required. He’s mistake prone and a hot head like Sokratis. Buying ageing Chelsea rejects is not good enough.

Monreal has had three superb games. How much of an upgrade Tierney will be is yet to be seen. But he’s for the future.

Pepe is superb but wasn’t what was required this year. That guy is icing on the cake. But we already had golden boot contenders at time where our defence was pants.

This was the year to solidify the defence not splash out on more expensive attackers. Tierney was a good buy, the rest were very questionable.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Slow. Maybe. Weak? Only in the eyes of some blind haters. He just scored a goal when being pulled by three players. And you still come here telling the same theory that has been proved to be bullshit multiple times.

3 players? He was holding off 1 player ffs. Talk about exaggerating :rofl:

Besides the point anyway. Trust a fanboy like you to get hurt by that though.

His so called strength would've been useless against Van Dijk, and Matip.

Edit: "Slow. Maybe." :rofl:

JoaoFelix

What philosophy? Conceding 7 goals per game?

High pressing, intensity, a very direct team, press very high defensively, But they are naive defensively. But the fact is that they got the weakest team in the top 6. I watched every chelsea game this season, Chelsea is playing attacking and positive football since the start of this season. They didn't deserve to lose against MU. They were much better than them. I think they will start winning more and more games with that philosphy.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
People hitting on Emery is a joke. It’s just a reaction to the disappointment that the supposed mega window in ages has been exposed for what it was . . . Mediocre.

Ceballos is a talent but, he’s only on loan and totally went missing in a 100mile an hour Prem explosion. Ramsey better.

Luiz is an improvement on Mustafi but was far from what was required. He’s mistake prone and a hot head like Sokratis. Buying ageing Chelsea rejects is not good enough.

Monreal has had three superb games. How much of an upgrade Tierney will be is yet to be seen. But he’s for the future.

Pepe is superb but wasn’t what was required this year. That guy is icing on the cake. But we already had golden boot contenders at time where our defence was pants.

This was the year to solidify the defence not splash out on more expensive attackers. Tierney was a good buy, the rest were very questionable.

Agreed with most of this. We havent been addressing the immediate core issues, and as much as United have been poor defensively, they have made astute buys which are now in the process of gelling together.

Our medium term looks good, signings like Saliba and Tierney to go with Bellerin and Holding has been a good base. What we need is more in that area, a signing that is high quality and proven now.

Midfield needs an immediate addition of quality as well. Willock is starting to look like the player who will replace Xhaka/Torreira, but I would like to see another quality addition in that area. Ceballos may not be perfect but he is a player I would like us to keep as well.

Upfront, Nketiah is developing nicely, and so is Nelson and Martinelli. I'd like to see us add someone like a Claude-Maurice and another top quality wide man on the left hand side.

But I'll say again, the manager has to change for 2020-21 in my opinion. I hope we go for a manager who understands attacking football, the importance of tactics and defensive organisation. Emery is not the answer we are looking for.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
No this is not true. We needed a winger just as much as we needed a solid CB. Our attack was miserably one-dimensional last season, mostly relying on full-backs and two exceptional strikers to bail us out. Pepe will make a massive difference once he settles in and Emery stops tinkering and lands on a stable formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom