• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

True, but there seems to be a system we are transitioning to with Pepe in, Iwobi out, and that has left us short especially while we wait for our first choice full-backs to be available. I don't think this incomplete transition to inside forwards is on Emery as it appears our first team coach no longer has much say in transfers.

I'm in the understanding that Emery's normal system relies heavily on good fullbacks. He has had makeshift one's almost the whole time here at least in one side.

Monreal has been in decline, not top quality anymore, quite slow. Jenkinson/Lichtsteiner starting was something else.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Tactically it's clear what he's trying to do. slowly but surely we're getting the right personnel, for his system. We saw on our unbeaten run last season, that we were quite gung ho until liverpool shafted us. Since the Bellerin injury weve really struggled in attack.

I believe once we have a full fit and firing Bellerin and Tierney, We're going to see the real way Emery want's us to play. I'm excited.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I remember how Klopp was doing in his first couple seasons at Liverpool, it wasn't great. People will argue they could see a style etc but it was still a shadow of the team they have now. It takes time and patience. Lets just hope Unai is worth waiting on....

That is a good point. Not just Klopp but even Pep as well.

Pep's first season at City. The summer he arrived, on top of already having players like Aguero, D. Silva and De Bruyne he spend £190m on transfers to further strengthen his squad. Yet at the end of the season he just about managed to get in the top 4. Only finishing 3 points ahead of us in fifth. At times that season his team looked clueless, getting thumped 4 or 5 nil against Everton. Some people were already sure he would never succeed in England, his tiki taka football wasn't suited to the PL, or without Messi he wasn't anything special anyway. The points tally was even less than 4 of the 5 seasons prior to Pep joining City. So you could even make an argument City weren't even progressing under Pep.

Klopp took over Liverpool with just 8 league games played, went on to finish 8th that season. Imagine that? Below West ham and Southampton even. I wonder what the reaction would be to Emery if he finished that low in his first season. 2nd season Klopp just about made top 4, by a single point. He still hadn't sort out a lot of their problems. A small minority of Liverpool fans were getting vocal, saying Klopp's limit was probably top 4 because he couldn't sort out the defence even if his life depended on it.

These two managers are arguably the 2 best managers in this era, yet even they needed time to turn things around. Incidentally both of them had small minority of their fans questioning them early on. I know fans don't usually do patience. It is always sack at the first hint of struggle, get excited for next one, then repeat same process.

I'm not saying Emery is anywhere close to these two, I'm saying it takes time to see if he can be a success or not. End of this season is the right time. Criticise a particular aspect of his managing, no doubt he has made a lot of mistakes, but it is still too early to make a definite judgement that he is a clueless chancer and start to call him all kind of names.

Last edited:

Tactically it's clear what he's trying to do. slowly but surely we're getting the right personnel, for his system. We saw on our unbeaten run last season, that we were quite gung ho until liverpool shafted us. Since the Bellerin injury weve really struggled in attack.

I believe once we have a full fit and firing Bellerin and Tierney, We're going to see the real way Emery want's us to play. I'm excited.
Really? Funny I don't see how he wants to play. Would you care to enlighten?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

:lol:

I don't think I've hidden my feelings for Emery. He's not useless, but plays a brand of football I don't think will ever win me over unless we're literally winning leagues and CLs. Nothing against him personally, just uninspiring football that leaves me wanting more. We're dull to watch now, which is a major sin to me. Arsenal must play exciting football first and foremost imo. I'd be far more patient with Unai if he was clearly trying to do this. But he's not, so I want someone else eventually.

As for Xhaka, he is such a strange case. Constant high profile errors. I don't even rate him that highly (I've watched too many stupid mistakes - pretty sure I said I was done with him after that PK he gave away at the end of last season but he performed well again after that). I do think he has genuine qualities and we play better with him than without (thus far). Most others disagree, but the fact has been to this point that he's seemingly undroppable in the eyes of two very different managers who have had different options at CM. That leads me to believe that there has to be something he's offering that must be of high enough value that he's kept in despite the downsides.

I hate when individual players are scapegoated, that's what gets my back up. It's dumb.
Agree with this word for word although I don’t care too much about the brand of football, he just needs to be a bit braver imo.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
All those who don't want Emery here next year, who would you prefer out of interest?

I'm trying to get a picture of who is actually available if he was to leave, Mourinho.. Pochettino..? o_O

Brendan Rogers actually seems to do quite well wherever he goes to be fair.
Good question. Very few choices left. Ljunjberg if he continues improving. Maybe Arteta.

I'd just ask Wenger about his opinion. Surely he would have seen someone good?

Wryer

I'm afraid the Arteta boat has sailed.

We have to give every credit to Emery for keeping us where we were, results and position wise. Sure, it wasn't great, but references elsewhere shows it could have been very much worse. It's been a smooth transition from that perspective. And people has not recognized the fact that he is functioning in a corporate system which has changed dramatically since he joined. That is an element people like Pep and Klopp didn't have to deal with, or at least with a much lower degree.

Now, this second season is when he has to demonstrate marked improvements. Results, philosophy, shape, spirit and mentality. Haven't seen that yet this season, admittedly early in the season still.

I think he's done well enough for people to reserve judgement till end of this season.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Now, this second season is when he has to demonstrate marked improvements. Results, philosophy, shape, spirit and mentality. Haven't seen that yet this season, admittedly early in the season still.

I think he's done well enough for people to reserve judgement till end of this season.
I agree.

Last season, our play was incredibly poor. But, to be fair, our squad was quite poor aside from two class attackers.

When everyone's fit there are no more excuses and I want to see how well we can play. I think having Bellerin and Tierney in the squad will help Emery out a lot. I'm still baffled by his choices in midfield though.

Expecting a marked improvement and a discernable style/shape soon. Otherwise, I think we should look further even if he manages to get top 4.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Quite random, weren't expecting his name.

Why random? There's no per se big name available. No young next manager star emerging; Nagelsmann just started at Leipzig and has Bayern on his mind. So you got to look elsewhere. Gallardo plays attacking football and is more successful than e.g. Simeone before he took over Atletico. His success is also spread out over several years implying he call successfully lead a team over multiple years and overcome unsuccessful stretches. Wouldnt be the worst option to take a punt on imo.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I agree.

Last season, our play was incredibly poor. But, to be fair, our squad was quite poor aside from two class attackers.

When everyone's fit there are no more excuses and I want to see how well we can play. I think having Bellerin and Tierney in the squad will help Emery out a lot. I'm still baffled by his choices in midfield though.

Expecting a marked improvement and a discernable style/shape soon. Otherwise, I think we should look further even if he manages to get top 4.
We will never have everyone fit. It hasn't happened since we last won the league.

I agree.

This.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I would call us Liverpool light - I think our front 3 is like theirs and then once we have our fullbacks - Tierney and Bellerin will be like TAA and Robertson. Our defence is still garbage like Liverpool in the early stages but come this January we will probably by our own WC CB - like VVD.

That is a good point. Not just Klopp but even Pep aswell.

Pep's first season at City. The summer he arrived, on top of already having players like Aguero and D. Silva he spend £190m on tranfers to further strengthen his squad. Yet at the end of the season he just about managed to get in the top 4. Only finishing 3 points ahead of us in fifth. At times that season his team looked clueless, getting thumped 4 or 5 nil against Everton. Some people were already sure he would never succeed in England, his tiki taka football wasn't suited to the PL, or without Messi he wasn't anything special anyway. The points tally was even less than 4 of the 5 seasons prior to Pep joining City. So you could even make an argument City weren't even progressing under Pep.

Klopp took over Liverpool with just 8 league games played, went on to finish 8th that season. Imagine that? Below West ham and Southampton even. I wonder what the reaction would be to Emery if he finished that low in his first season. 2nd season Klopp just about made top 4, by a single point. He still hadn't sort out a lot of their problems. A small minority of Liverpool fans were getting vocal, saying Klopp's limit was probably top 4 because he couldn't sort out the defence even if his life depended on it.

These two managers are arguably the 2 best managers in this era, yet even they needed time to turn things around. Incidentally both of them had small minority of their fans questioning them early on. I know fans don't usually do patience. It is always sack at the first hint of struggle, get excited for next one, then repeat same process.

I'm not saying Emery is anywhere close to these two, I'm saying it takes time to see if he can be a success or not. End of this season is the right time. Criticise a particular aspect of his managing, no doubt he has made a lot of mistakes, but it is still too early to make a definite judgement that he is a clueless chancer and start to call him all kind of names.
You've got a point but it seems that the Arsenal hierachy probably didn't feel that way. Otherwise he wouldn't have been given only 2 seasons imo.
The thing with Emery that I suppose disgusts most fans is his lack of a real identity that is clear for the eye compared to the two you have mentioned and many others that have graced the premere league.

For me I figured it might be the case of grass being greener on the other side. I have resorted to support him if he sets up well against the league's big boys and doesn't get humilated and manages a top four finish. That I feel would imply how good he could become as you've argued above, because I don't remember us beating either of them in their first seasons even if they were occasionally humilated by smaller teams.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

You've got a point but it seems that the Arsenal hierachy probably didn't feel that way. Otherwise he wouldn't have been given only 2 seasons imo.
The thing with Emery that I suppose disgusts most fans is his lack of a real identity that is clear for the eye compared to the two you have mentioned and many others that have graced the premere league.

For me I figured it might be the case of grass being greener on the other side. I have resorted to support him if he sets up well against the league's big boys and doesn't get humilated and manages a top four finish. That I feel would imply how good he could become as you've argued above, because I don't remember us beating either of them in their first seasons even if they were occasionally humilated by smaller teams.

Emery's got a 3-year contract, which is possible to end after 2 seasons without any compensation from termination. I like it, good that Emery agreed to it.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Why random? There's no per se big name available. No young next manager star emerging; Nagelsmann just started at Leipzig and has Bayern on his mind. So you got to look elsewhere. Gallardo plays attacking football and is more successful than e.g. Simeone before he took over Atletico. His success is also spread out over several years implying he call successfully lead a team over multiple years and overcome unsuccessful stretches. Wouldnt be the worst option to take a punt on imo.

Not many would even know who he is, it would be a complete shock to the fans if he was to be appointed, not knocking his managerial career just a punt as you said, however he is still far more qualified than Arteta who a lot of fans had no problem with as a potential candidate.

P.S - apologies, maybe random wasnt the correct word to use, in London we use it as a bit of a throw away word for unexpected.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Not many would even know who he is, it would be a complete shock to the fans if he was to be appointed, not knocking his managerial career just a punt as you said, however he is still far more qualified than Arteta who a lot of fans had no problem with as a potential candidate.

P.S - apologies, maybe random wasnt the correct word to use, in London we use it as a bit of a throw away word for unexpected.

No apologies needed I knew how you meant random, guess I just thought he'd be more known.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
No apologies needed I knew how you meant random, guess I just thought he'd be more known.

He may be, but in all honesty I don't think I've ever heard or seen him be linked or spoken about with potential jobs in England, I may have just missed it though.

We also rarely get much news regarding Argentinian football, even the Copa Libertadores isnt really covered here unless you go looking for it.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

I feel giving him a 2 year contract with an option for 3rd was really a prudent thing to do. It doesn't necessarily mean we are ready to sack him after that period, it just means we can evaluate the situation without having to worry about the financial costs of a pay off. 2 years is a good time to see wether there is enough progress to continue or part ways. In the modern game it isn't likely one man will stay at the helm at a big club for very long anyway, giving managers 6 years contract like Moyes puts clubs in a no win situation.

I actually feel we improved a lot versus the big boys. I would say we only had one defeat that you could say without an argument that we were thrashed/humiliated (the 5-1 against Pool). Which is a big progress compared to the regular 5, 6-0 hidings we used to suffer. We have been strong at home against all of them, away from home less so. Imo we are getting slowly better at that too. You have to remember for a long time our away record against the big teams has been truly diabolical.

Last season I saw encouraging signs that might improve. Sp**s away we were an Auba penalty miss away from winning there, in the league we have only won once in the last 12 years at their home ground. At Stamford Hill we should have won too, we played well and only by missing some incredible sitters we came back empty handed. Again a notorious difficult ground for us to win in recent years, last time we won there was 8 years ago.

Granted there are some worrying signs as well. Mainly with Emery's midfield combinations and our horrific away form in general. But imo I can see more positives than negatives. I can however understand if people don't see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom