• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He doesn’t even play good football, and I’m not sure he’s overachieved to a level where you’d expect him to have us competing for CL titles or even do more than Emery.

Best one out there in terms of British managers right now is Wilder. He’s overachieved massively at every single club he’s been at, is one of the best tacticians going and is a massive innovator.

He’s not a sexy pick because he’s not young, he’s Northern and is a bit of a knobhead. If you’re looking for someone British he’s your man.

I loved his interview where he basically said his players don't deserve anything for giving it their all and running a lot because that's the bare minimum he expects. Great mentality. But like you said because he's a British manager from the North he won't get the hype and praise he deserves or be offered any of the top jobs.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I loved his interview where he basically said his players don't deserve anything for giving it their all and running a lot because that's the bare minimum he expects. Great mentality. But like you said because he's a British manager from the North he won't get the hype and praise he deserves or be offered any of the top jobs.

Exactly, aside from how astute tactically he is I think a massive reason for his success is that he hates being an underdog. Always focused on getting to that next level.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Exactly, aside from how astute tactically he is I think a massive reason for his success is that he hates being an underdog. Always focused on getting to that next level.
Is this the guy that does the overlapping CB's? Anyone who does that is a legend in my eyes.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Is this the guy that does the overlapping CB's? Anyone who does that is a legend in my eyes.

Yeah he’s better than just that though, every club he’s been at he’s looked to innovate in some way.

Also he’s taken over some absolute banter situations and almost immediately had them competing for promotions, Northampton and Sheffield Utd especially.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Yeah he’s better than just that though, every club he’s been at he’s looked to innovate in some way.

Also he’s taken over some absolute banter situations and almost immediately had them competing for promotions, Northampton and Sheffield Utd especially.

Overlapping CBs?

Tir Na Nog

Ngl I'm pretty sure when Monreal played as LCB in a back 3 he still overlapped at times. I definitely remember him doing it a few times and I thought it was pretty funny, well funny and I was also thinking we'd be ****ed if the opposition won the ball and broke quickly.

Actually if I recall correctly Mustafi tried doing it when we were losing 1-0 to Stoke a couple of years ago, he overlapped had the ball in a crossing position and well.... I'm sure you can all imagine what happened when he attempted the cross. I still remember it because I almost smashed a plate as a result.

Tir Na Nog

Got pocketed against Pool .

Didn't do much when he came on vs Newcastle, or I might have to whisper it, but he didn't a great deal in the NLD either. I mean he had a good shot but that's all I can really remember, at times I thought he was holding onto the ball too long instead of either passing it or just driving into the space ahead of him.

I expect big things from him but he's not done much yet. Let's just relax a bit here.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Didn't do much when he came on vs Newcastle, or I might have to whisper it, but he didn't a great deal in the NLD either. I mean he had a good shot but that's all I can really remember, at times I thought he was holding onto the ball too long instead of either passing it or just driving into the space ahead of him.

I expect big things from him but he's not done much yet. Let's just relax a bit here.

In the last 20 mins with Sp**s having parked their mopeds in front of goal we needed a certain bloke who tends to drop in to half pockets of space .

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Overlapping CBs?

Yeah he plays a back 3 and rotates the CB’s past midfielders who’ll drop back in so he can in theory get support to wing backs untracked from midfield.

It’s similar to a degree to the Conte 16/17 system, he’ll vary the tactics depending on players available to him though.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

2 out of 3. Small sample size, but to me that is a pretty high rate.
You said that he was having constant MOTM performances but got dropped, meaning you were referring to the two games before the Sp**s one.

One MOTM performance and another where he was the worst on the pitch. This is an example of what I think is unfair criticism of the manager.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
The point is they are both philosophy managers. It takes time to implement a philosophy as you need the players to do it. The difference is they had the balls to implement it even with players that couldn't do it. Meaning they could sell and buy accordingly.

What is Emery trying to do? He has a squad with quality and options. Yet he constantly tinkers to the point where we have no idea what the line up is let alone the formation.

He isn't on the same page as the ownership and I wouldn't be surprised if they have identified our next manager.

They promoted Freddie and publicly made the statement of bringing youth through. Last season he played his full strength team in the Europa league. The club are not allowing him to do that this season. We have bought players he can't even use yet like Saliba.

However the biggest statement is Miki. He played him ahead of Nelson and Willock vs Sp**s. He even had one more sub and didn't use it. We almost lost the derby because we have a manager who can't set up a midfield and picks error prone Xhaka because he is tall. Meanwhile Ceballos is having constant man of the match performances and got dropped because he didn't run the show vs Liverpool. A game where our manager sent us out to get pumelled and play on the break.

So what does the club do? They get rid of miki and say, right, now you can't use him. Use Nelson, Saka and Martinelli ffs.

Emery should be able to get us top four and then we are ready for a philosophy manager.

"Squad with quality and options"

Until about a month ago we had the worst squad of the big six. This summer window we have addressed that. We are 4 games into the new season and still he hasn't even had the chance to field anywhere near our strongest line up.

"Played a full strength team in the EL"

In the earlier rounds it was a mixture of squad players, some youngsters and a few first 11 players. El Neny, Lichtsteiner and welbeck were ever present in the group stage. Willock, Nketiah and ESR all started atleast 2 games each, with a few sub appearances too. Saka had 1 start. Ffs even Jenkinson started 2 games, no way you can call that a full strength team. Of course in the latter stages it was a full strength team when it needed to be.

"Sent us out to get pummelled and play on the break"

Are you confusing us with Sp**s? Because that was exactly how they played.

As for Mhki, he shouldn't have brought him on. I can see why he did though. Apparently Willock wasn't 100% and Özil isn't even close to match fitness. Mhki is a very hot and cold player, it wasn't beyond the realms of possibilities that he could pop up with an assist or a goal, plus he gives you the added defensive protection against Sp**s' counter attacking threat to help Kola. Perhaps Emery thought he could repeat his performance last time we played Sp**s, when he was the best player on the pitch. Unfortunately Nelson in the minutes he was given so far showed he is still not ready.

As it turned out, Mhki was hopeless, he produced a travesty of a performance. We were probably better off playing with 10 men.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I'm intrigued to see how we develop as a team during the course of the season. how Emery's tactics work out once we have a near full strength team, especially when he gets to field proper fullbacks. My own view is that Emery will succeed here. That doesn't mean I won't criticise him or blindly support everything he does. I will criticise him when I feel it is warranted. I will give him a fair chance before jumping on his back.

The main issue I have with the Emery out camp is that they go to great lenghts to discredit Emery. Anything good that happens on or off the pitch is someone else's doing. All the bad stuff is exclusively Emery's doing. He is portrayed as a bumbling fool, who no player or manager respects. Who the board have on a very short leash, employing people to babysit him so he doesn't wreak havoc with his sheer incompetence.

Some of the criticism has even been future-proofed. If he doesn't play some of the youngsters, he gets crucified. If he does play more of them from now on, he won't get any credit for it because we keep getting told Ljungberg will be forcing him to play them.

If we play well, it will be the players doing it all by themselves. If we lose, it is because he set us up to fail. If a player improves a lot (like Douzi), it has nothing to do with the manager, however if a player is not performing well, it will be said Emery isn't getting the best out of him or playing him in the wrong position. The guy literally can't win whatever he does.

Anyway. Watford is his next test. I like to see us put in a commanding display and win comfortably away from home for once. Not getting my hopes up though.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'm intrigued to see how we develop as a team during the course of the season. how Emery's tactics work out once we have a near full strength team, especially when he gets to field proper fullbacks. My own view is that Emery will succeed here. That doesn't mean I won't criticise him or blindly support everything he does. I will criticise him when I feel it is warranted. I will give him a fair chance before jumping on his back.

The main issue I have with the Emery out camp is that they go to great lenghts to discredit Emery. Anything good that happens on or off the pitch is someone else's doing. All the bad stuff is exclusively Emery's doing. He is portrayed as a bumbling fool, who no player or manager respects. Who the board have on a very short leash, employing people to babysit him so he doesn't wreak havoc with his sheer incompetence.

Some of the criticism has even been future-proofed. If he doesn't play some of the youngsters, he gets crucified. If he does play more of them from now on, he won't get any credit for it because we keep getting told Ljungberg will be forcing him to play them.

If we play well, it will be the players doing it all by themselves. If we lose, it is because he set us up to fail. If a player improves a lot (like Douzi), it has nothing to do with the manager, however if a player is not performing well, it will be said Emery isn't getting the best out of him or playing him in the wrong position. The guy literally can't win whatever he does.

Anyway. Watford is his next test. I like to see us put in a commanding display and win comfortably away from home for once. Not getting my hopes up though.

Well said, that's just how it works for some people. I think he will succeed too, and will criticize him when appropriate.

Many of our players seem to compliment Emery, youth too. I think they wouldn't like to do so if they don't really mean it. It's called lying.

It's a bit funny that if our rivals best players score, it's their managers doing. But if our best players score, it's just them using their skills with some luck.

I really want to see what Emery can do with some proper leftbacks & CB's, who play together a while. Midfield who has played more together will be interesting too. Willock & Ceballos are both just coming into the team. I still hope Özil can contribute something and leave his injuries and depression or something behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom