• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I compared their height not ability. You were spouting words like insanity and I had to put some perspective to why I don't see a problem with Torreira's height. Let me put it bluntly what I meant so that you won't twist my words again. Height is not a prerequisite for a good defensive midfielder and I believe Torreira has enough ability to make it work despite his size limitations.

It’s not a prerequisite but it is a limitation, as you just admitted. So why are you arguing when you agree with me?

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
It’s not a prerequisite but it is a limitation, as you just admitted. So why are you arguing when you agree with me?

I guess partly but I thought you were convinced Torreira won’t work as a DM because of his height? Naturally I thought your presumption was size is the defining factor.

BigPoppaPump

I guess partly but I thought you were convinced Torreira won’t work as a DM because of his height? Naturally I thought your presumption was size is the defining factor.

No I’m saying being small and lightweight is a detriment for a DM. Torreira doesn’t seem skilled enough to fill that gap. If he was Kante I wouldn’t have a problem, but he was poor for half of last season.

He seems to slip every game too, i just don’t see him making it in England. He’ll be back in Italy sooner or later.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Torreira was doing fine even when he was isolated in the first half of last season. What he lacks as an athlete he compensates with anticipation, positioning in space and quick reactions. Besides, you're moving away from the original issue which was his size, now it's his legs and athleticism that's the problem :lol:.

There's not a lot of players out there who can deal with two guys on a consistent basis, after all no one is super human.
I have always said that he lacked the strength and stamina. I don't care about legs or height.

You were the one name dropping Kante

He regularly gets isolated/outnumbered in our system against much stronger opponents. Unless we do something to help him, he will keep getting injured and exhausted. Cuz as you said, he is not superman

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Unless we do something to help him, he will keep getting injured and exhausted. Cuz as you said, he is not superman

No, not Superman....

Lucas-Torreira-Antman-1024x576.jpg

Kingofthebongo

That is when he is covering distances in big spaces. He needs to be moving laterally as he is explosive over short distances. Being in front of the back 4 in a 3 allows that. When in a two he is covering his side plus whoever is playing next to him and he is expected to press and get forward while trying to recover.

Torreira is good at keeping the ball moving, Snapping into tackles, tactical fouls, stepping back into the box to cut out cutbacks, stepping out to intercept, knowing when to drop to cut out passing lanes. He is also very good at staying concentrated when we do not have the ball. Playing him the way we are literally takes away all of his strengths.

The height isn't an issue. The ball isn't constantly in the air in midfield. I would rather he can't win the first ball but has a chance of winning the second ball due to his positioning. Rather than winning a header and heading is straight to the opposition because nobody apart from willock can jump on the 2nd ball. In a two man midfield you probably need height. I don't think you need your holding midfielder to be a giant in a 3.

Top post and great assessment/analysis

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Yup, I was right. Officially Bum status, flop signing.

Is that “Official” status based on a 27 minute cameo in a team that was repeatedly trying to commit defensive **** all afternoon, during which time he had a good shot which could have been the winner?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
For me, it was a 5. He might have had a good shot, but he's not rated for his performance in the opposition box.

Got bounced off Capoue (?) a few times. Barely came upto the shoulders of the Watford players.

BigPoppaPump

Is that “Official” status based on a 27 minute cameo in a team that was repeatedly trying to commit defensive **** all afternoon, during which time he had a good shot which could have been the winner?

No it’s from watching him last season and seeing him this season too. He doesn’t have it in him. The game yesterday just cemented it.

I don’t get why certain posters act like everything is knee jerk and we haven’t all been watching these players. Look at my previous posts in this thread it’s obvious that it wasn’t just cos of yesterday’s game.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
The Uruguayan Medel.

Not a bad player but 30m were wasted when you can find players of similar level in lower leagues for way less.

Wengysaurus

He went from being our defensive midfield saviour to the Uruguayan Francis Coquelin. I thought he would be a class signing at the time but I'm starting to lose hope.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
If fit, he starts for me. The only midfielder we have who can actually break up play and offer some sort of resistance in midfield.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He went from being our defensive midfield saviour to the Uruguayan Francis Coquelin. I thought he would be a class signing at the time but I'm starting to lose hope.

He’s got a good range of passing unlike Coq, our tactics do him no favours at all.

Occasionally we’re playing him as a number 10 for some reason others we just line up three or four CM’s and let them go at it.

His best position is a destroyer who can play in front of the back four but also can receive the ball on the turn and has a decent range of passing.

There’s another level to his performances imo but our midfield play is staler than a week old bread roll.

Pepes blue pill

Dude showed what he could do early on when he started with us, then emery decided he was a baller n pushed him forward and he has been poor since, easy to see the problem in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom