• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

So? What did Rodgers do to them?
The only manager in Celtics history to leave mid season. Left the squad in the lurch on the back of a massive game away to Hearts and tried to take all the backroom staff with him. It was dirty. Mourinho said he could understand him leaving but he wouldnt do it that way and he would wait until the summer and that it was disrespectful to Celtic. And then it came out that Leicester were happy to wait until the summer anyway.

@Rex Banner he does have his issues and going toe to toe with PSG was one of them. But by and large with our squad we'd be the better team. As for what happened against United it was a strange one. A one nil loss away to Old Trafford isnt the worst result and perhaps a more confident United play out more. I remember him saying about PSG if the players can do it here they can do it anywhere. And to an extent its true. If you have confidence to try then when you're playing weaker teams it should be easier. Though it does stray into an area I dislike when Wenger said there is no difference home or away.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

The only manager in Celtics history to leave mid season. Left the squad in the lurch on the back of a massive game away to Hearts and tried to take all the backroom staff with him. It was dirty. Mourinho said he could understand him leaving but he wouldnt do it that way and he would wait until the summer and that it was disrespectful to Celtic. And then it came out that Leicester were happy to wait until the summer anyway.

@Rex Banner he does have his issues and going toe to toe with PSG was one of them. But by and large with our squad we'd be the better team. As for what happened against United it was a strange one. A one nil loss away to Old Trafford isnt the worst result and perhaps a more confident United play out more. I remember him saying about PSG if the players can do it here they can do it anywhere. And to an extent its true. If you have confidence to try then when you're playing weaker teams it should be easier. Though it does stray into an area I dislike when Wenger said there is no difference home or away.
Do you guys even need a manager to win that league? I see it on ziggo sport now and again and it doesn’t exactly look like those managers are playing 3D chess.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Hate it when managers have their favourite players that always get a pass. It's a real weakness.

Oh great Frankfurt away next, what a load of **** that will be.
Apparently they're good, so that's one reason not to look forward to it.

The other reason is that I am ****ing fed up of that ****house tournament, and the fact we put all our eggs in that basket only to get spanked by Chelsea at the end can be neither forgotten nor forgiven.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Florets actually spike if his tactics in the interview. He talked about second and third phases. My take on it was that Watford may not win the first ball, but they would win the second...I saw a ball hit up field. Xhaka did well to intercept but his header went to a Watford player. They literally sat back and let us fail and then countered really well.
I read Emerys interview saying we couldnt go long because we are not physical enough. That's fine. But at least we can defend with 11 men behind the ball. And then try to counter. Rather than playing out and losing the ball in our own third inviting them on to our back four or worse onto our keeper.

It was horrible to hear those words that we lacked the physicality as if that is all that matters. What matters is the position of the ball to our goal and what is in between. The more there is in between the better protected you are. But it also forces their press to drop off because the gap between their defence or midfield is to far from the attack. So the attack drops to receive the ball from the midfield.

Souness and his semi pro chat is spot on.

Steps

Took a break since yesterday to calm down and clear my head. Now that I have had a chance to do some thinking I've come to a conclusion.

#EmeryOut

Don't @ me, apologists.

Wonder if we could get Fergie in. He seems itching to be back on the sidelines. Or maybe Wenger? :rofl:

Ewarwoowar

I'd take Rodgers at this point, but I do find him a bit egocentric, if I were he though I would stay at Leicester, take a punt and keep them firing and play the waiting game, he may get a pick of a few big teams by next summer, could be a drought regarding decent managers soon.

We may have to take a punt on a young up and coming, which is scary, but would be right time whilst we are absolutely clearly in transition. There is also enough legends at the club to give support and impress with the direction we wish to take.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I think that’s why I’m hesitant, I still don’t think he’s evolved from that famous Chelsea loss when they almost won the league.

That loss was an exact replica of any latter year Wenger loss to Mourinho, where a defensive team with enough quality to play well on the counter can ruin you.

With this squad I could see him blowing most of the league away but when it comes to crunch time in big CL matches or a tight league match he’s way too naive.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

When Emery took over last season after us having Wenger at the helm for god knows how many years I felt we needed to be patient with Emery. Last year I was willing to forgive much of our poor play, but this year so far has been underwhelming. Yesterday we gifted Watford the draw. What bothered me the most was that we couldn't adjust and get Watford of our back once they started to get on to us and dominate the game. I couldn't really see anything Emery did to regain the initiative and break Watford's momentum.

The way we are playing and Emery's team and tactic's decisions I am sure is making a lot of us to start questioning him as a long-term solution. I'll hold off making judgements but I am a lot less happy with the direction of travel than I was at the end of last season. I feel that we are not improving at all right now despite some decent signings.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Yeah I think that’s why I’m hesitant, I still don’t think he’s evolved from that famous Chelsea loss when they almost won the league.

That loss was an exact replica of any latter year Wenger loss to Mourinho, where a defensive team with enough quality to play well on the counter can ruin you.

With this squad I could see him blowing most of the league away but when it comes to crunch time in big CL matches or a tight league match he’s way too naive.
I agree. But in truth I'd rather than excitement of that over what we currently have.

I'd also point out that the Wenger/Mourinho era is different to the one we are currently in. It didnt just boil down to results against them. It was our results elsewhere that cost us. Especially with teams bullying us.

The environment now is different with City and Liverpool top dogs and everyone else behind. So I'd take playing great football against 14 teams and winning most weeks. Hopefully competing better against the rest. (Leicester done very well against City last year with a one in a million Kompany shot getting three points, a nil nil draw with Chelsea which at least shows perhaps not as naive as one expects)

It's a mute point whilst Emery is here. But as I've said before I hope we are having conversations behind closed doors and there is a cut off in regards to how far we will allow this to go before we say enough is enough.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

#EmeryOut

Do:rofl:n't @ me, apologists.
How can anyone be an apologist when he's only been in the job for a season? By the same measure, I could call anyone whio wanted him out before now, a 'hater', or even be more truthful and just say 'bellend'. But we wont be using name calling!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Place these figures here too.

The costs to buy all the players in the published squads have been calculated and posted by CIES:

1 City €1014
2 United €751
3 Liverpool. €639
4 Chelsea €561

5 Arsenal €498
6 Everton €486
7 Sp**s €465

So it doesn’t look like we’ve broken into the top 4 spending wise, and pretty much on a par with Everton and Sp**s.

I’m guessing Emery won’t be far off finishing 5th this season again. And those 7 richest squads are likely to be the top 7 teams come the end of the season.

You can see the whole European list here:
https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2019/wp266/en/

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

The costs to buy all the players in the published squads have been calculated and posted by CIES:

1 City €1014
2 United €751
3 Liverpool. €639
4 Chelsea €561

5 Arsenal €498
6 Everton €486
7 Sp**s €465

So it doesn’t look like we’ve broken into the top 4 spending wise, and pretty much on a par with Everton and Sp**s.

I’m guessing Emery won’t be far off finishing 5th this season again. And those 7 richest squads are likely to be the top 7 teams come the end of the season.

God I hate these posts from you man

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He has no choice tbf in the game because if you look at our bench the only outfield players above 20 were Torreira and Chambers.

While he can justly argue that he’s been left short this year with the squad, he’s got to be smarter. He clearly hates playing the kids but he’s forced to with our squad construction.

He has to start Nelson and Willock more, not because they deserve it but because you could bring more experienced players off the bench in pressure situations like yesterday.

If he’d started Nelson for say Özil we could have brought Mesut on for Ceballos when he started flagging. A midfield of Torreira and Willock lets him bring Xhaka and Guendouzi off the bench.

That line up would’ve had more balance because you’ve got the wide players in Pepe and Nelson and a midfield with a DM and two guys who can break lines rather than that garbage 4-4-2 diamond we lined up with.
I think he doesn't know how to use them. Barely knows how to use Guendouzi and he likes him.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

1 City €1014
2 United €751
3 Liverpool. €639
4 Chelsea €561

5 Arsenal €498
6 Everton €486
7 Sp**s €465

How much did Watford spend?

blaze_of_glory

An attempt to play exciting football would make the results a lot easier to take and be patient about. But as it is we're being patient hoping that this dull, disjointed approach will just edge into better results. There's nothing to suggest that this isn't the way Emery wants us to be playing. He just wants us to get better at playing crap football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom