• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah I don’t think Emery is using him properly, he’s clearly a DM.

Our entire midfield is a mess at the moment. No cohesion or structure there at all.
Only reason is because he is small. If he was 6'2 he would be deeper than Xhaka.

I agree about our structure though. It's been so poorly put together and I would argue - even if you include Xhaka - this is a very decent midfield to work with this season so there should be no excuse. Our best midfield structure was against Burnley and that mainly had to do with the technical security in passing and dribbling from all 3 players rather than structure because look how far away the forwards were in that game.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Are long balls really that much of a threat that it’s worth leaving our midfield completely open.

Torreria’s poor performances started when pushed further forward, he might not be Kante but he’s certainly not Coquelin and can play a hell of a lot better than we’re seeing.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Love this guy, theres an awesome player in there, Emery is just trying to coach it out of him to fit Xhaka and Guendouzi into the same midfield, need him sitting in front of the back four rather than out stretching his skillset, can see him looking for greener pastures if we continue to misuse him.

blaze_of_glory

Mentioned earlier in the TM section that I had a feeling Torreira would end up being the odd man out a lot of the time this year. Seems to be the case so far.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Mentioned earlier in the TM section that I had a feeling Torreira would end up being the odd man out a lot of the time this year. Seems to be the case so far.
It's a good call. Looking at the physical profiles of Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock and Ceballos - all at least average height or above. Can see Emery values that perceived physical ability despite Torreiras doggedness and aggression.

Points to the idea that Emery isn't exactly playing to the strengths of the squad individually or collectively. Who can we honestly say is elevated in our squad right now?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can't blame Emery here. Watford would have kicked him out of the game and isolated Xhaka.

He cannot control the midfield by himself. He needs to be paired with another high energy CM to make it work

goonerfamily

This might be an unpopular opinion but as bad as our defence is, I think our midfield is almost as dysfunctional. Our midfielders are always so far from each other and we are not protecting our defence at all. This is why I can't understand why we moved Torreira further forward. I understand his height might be a problem for Emery but surely our centre backs can cover that to some extent. Feel like we're making more problems for ourselves by playing someone like Xhaka or Guendouzi at the base of our midfield.

Just allow Torreira to sit in front of the centre backs and play Guendouzi and Ceballos just ahead of him. This helps because the centre backs are better protected and removes Xhaka who is too immobile for the premier league. Not saying this is perfect but surely this would be better than whatever Emery is trying now

tcahill

Torreira is one of the best ball winning midfielders in the league. He's also semi-press resistant, maybe not to Ceballos's level but far better than Xhaka and probably Guendouzi.

Xhaka/Guendouzi are strong in possession but offer little back 4 protection. For a team that's set up to counter and inviting a high press, it's unsurprising how many chances we concede. Xhaka/Guendouzi didn't work last season and it isn't working now.

Last season our best midfield combo was Xhaka/Torreira, with Torreira sitting and Xhaka given more freedom. Why are we not giving Torreira another shot at the central DM role?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Reading this page is hilarious. You’d think Emery is deliberately tryna ruin Torreira’s career and not that Torreira has been poor for the last 9 or so months. You can’t have a lightweight 5’4 guy protecting the defence, he gets bullied every game.

zilfy

Xhaka/Guendouzi are strong in possession but offer little back 4 protection. For a team that's set up to counter and inviting a high press, it's unsurprising how many chances we concede. Xhaka/Guendouzi didn't work last season and it isn't working now.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure EVERY time we used the Guendoozi/Xhaka combination last year very bad things happened. They should not play together.
Its Emery's unwillingness to learn from earlier mistakes which is unforgivable. I bet we see another goal like the one we saw from Sokratis on Sunday. Surely he can see the things that aren't working and decide to change tactics?

tcahill

Reading this page is hilarious. You’d think Emery is deliberately tryna ruin Torreira’s career and not that Torreira has been poor for the last 9 or so months. You can’t have a lightweight 5’4 guy protecting the defence, he gets bullied every game.

Torreira has been poor since Emery started playing him further forward towards the end of last season. While his form has certainly dropped off, not using him at his best role hasn't helped him perform.
He protected the defence really well the majority of last season, did the same at Sampdoria and plays that role for Uruguay.

progman07

Established Member
This might be an unpopular opinion but as bad as our defence is, I think our midfield is almost as dysfunctional. Our midfielders are always so far from each other and we are not protecting our defence at all. This is why I can't understand why we moved Torreira further forward. I understand his height might be a problem for Emery but surely our centre backs can cover that to some extent. Feel like we're making more problems for ourselves by playing someone like Xhaka or Guendouzi at the base of our midfield.

Just allow Torreira to sit in front of the centre backs and play Guendouzi and Ceballos just ahead of him. This helps because the centre backs are better protected and removes Xhaka who is too immobile for the premier league. Not saying this is perfect but surely this would be better than whatever Emery is trying now
Probably not unpopular - even when individually the midfielders play well, we as a group look awful. It feels like the midfielders don't pass to each other at all. Maybe it's wrong though, I don't know.

The biggest problem is that there isn't one midfielder who is really composed and calm under pressure. Someone who would keep the ball and keep it going regardless of who is pressing him. It results in players trying to get rid of the ball when the pressure is high, and there is no safety option, a Xavi or Fabregas who you could always rely on to be available and ready to receive the ball in tight situations.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The guy was a top quality for the first 4 months and after we've changed his role he turned to ****.
He was winning the ball back and intercepting every pass close to him without any problems and suddenly he cant defend or win the ball.

We have 2 options now:
a) He forgot how to play football and went too full ***** mode
b) Change of his role makes him look worse than he is.

What do you think is more realistic from the two?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The guy was a top quality for the first 4 months and after we've changed his role he turned to ****.
He was winning the ball back and intercepting every pass close to him without any problems and suddenly he cant defend or win the ball.

We have 2 options now:
a) He forgot how to play football and went too full ****** mode
c) He's crap because @BigPoppaPump said so!

I think you will get C as your answer:lol:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

We have 2 options now:
a) He forgot how to play football and went too full ****** mode

You know who else was good for their first few months? Mustafi. Look at him now, so it’s option C: he was never that good in the first place and you were fooled by new player optimism. You said it yourself he’s been poor longer than he’s been good.

It annoys me how people need the evidence rubbed in their face for years with players bad performances before they stop rating them so highly.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You know who else was good for their first few months? Mustafi. Look at him now, so it’s option C: he was never that good in the first place and you were fooled by new player optimism. You said it yourself he’s been poor longer than he’s been good.

It annoys me how people need the evidence rubbed in their face for years with players bad performances before they stop rating them so highly.
Can't argue your arguments at all even if I like the player, but I think it's still worth waiting a bit more to check how he works under a new manager.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

I like Torreira but this is a solid point! And Mustafi is just the most recent..

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Are long balls really that much of a threat that it’s worth leaving our midfield completely open.

Torreria’s poor performances started when pushed further forward, he might not be Kante but he’s certainly not Coquelin and can play a hell of a lot better than we’re seeing.
How is his height an issue now when he was winning every header when he was playing DM? That change in position was just puzzling to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom