• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
So he got no fans left?
I'm not sure there were 'fans' ever. People gave him time obviously, which he deserved, and there were positives, such us good 2nd half performances, tactical flexibility and early substitutions, but good 2nd half performances disappeared, tactical flexibility became impossible to follow (by fans and players alike), and early substitutions were the result of bad first elevens more often than not.
One positive thing is his preparation to big home games, he must be given that.

In the end, we got a manager who is 'decent and hard working', you cannot hate him, he is doing his best. He is just simply not made for a top level team, or a team who aspires to get back into the top level. He is negative against smaller teams, and doesn't have a strong vision about how we should play, or if he has, he is not bringing it into life well enough.

The key is though: I'm sure he won't last for a very long time here, unless he changes significantly, either improving defensive solidity a lot, or finally switching to adventurous, pressing game when we play on the front foot.
The management brought in Pepe for 80 million, it is an expensive risk taken because 1) they apparently decided we must get into the top4 at all costs 2) fan engagement level has been significantly decreasing.

After spending the money we spent in the last few transfer windows (Özil's new contract - Laca - Auba - Pepe - Torreira - Leno - Sokratis - Luiz - Saliba), I can imagine we would rather get a new manager in, than risk another season of EL.

Last edited:

morpho

Established Member
Wenger and his like believe in imposing their game on the opposition, most weeks it worked. In big games it worked too at times, even when it didn’t work we at least carried a threat.

Emery is the extreme, this guy picks 9 defenders at home to Burnley. 3 flat midfielders at home to Sp**s? Come on.
Well, thats just plain stupidity... Dont get me wrong, Im not comparing them. But as much as I loved Wenger I cant deny the fact that he was a stubborn bastard. He was brilliant in what he did best (reading and understanding the individual), and I dont think there is a man in the world capable in doing what he created. He was, in my opinion, extreme in following his philosophy, that sadly caught up with him in the end. Now, in Emery I see a similar extreme, but in the far, far end. When your tactics depends completely on your opposition, you really really have to get them right. So far, I cant say that he did. I dont know the statistics, but im pretty sure we were the team with the most victories last season, coming from behind at HT. We are five games in, in his second season, and a new record is set... I want a manager capable to adapt. To have a clear vision, but willing to strain at gnats and swallow camels, when needed. Wenger, never did that. Emery only does that.

morpho

Established Member
Well then he is horroble at it. How can you not nullify a threat like Delofeu? How can you allow Cleverly to push your mids so much? Pathetic approach to even the bottom of the league. We stand no chance against big teams if this is how his so called 'energy' is utilised.
No questions there...

GDeep™

League is very weak
Again, everyone is bashing him now, but he’s a good manager who will go on from here and have success elsewhere is his career.

His Arsenal career probably wouldn’t be considered a failure either, you could argue he came in and took the hit as the “transition manager”.

I respect Emery as a manager.

scytheavatar

Established Member
  • Key take away: "If Emery was identified as a transitional coach, then in some ways his purpose has already been served. In his time in charge has overseen a huge churn in personnel: Arsenal have sold off much of the deadwood, and begun to bring academy players through. The executive team and the backroom staff have undergone significant restructuring. It might not feel like the team is progressing, but the club is evolving."

Dumb statement, our transitional period has only just begun. We have sold off much of the deadwood only to add in a young inexperience squad. At the next few seasons we'll need to decide which of the young players have potential and which are the ones that will become deadwood, and we need to get rid of those deadwood without hesitation. We are a long, long way from having a squad good enough to compete for the title.

blaze_of_glory

qmyc14zl44n31.jpg

@Makingtrax

Not sure what the point is, but you file this one away.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

It was a common theme at PSG too that the players didn’t understand what they were doing, I remember Thiago Silva and Verratti saying that Emery over complicated things and the players didn’t understand their role on the pitch.

I wouldn’t have hired him based on that disaster of a result that he was in charge of against Barcelona. The lad spunked a 4-0 aggregate lead at the Camp Nou.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We beat Napoli and Valencia over two legs in convincing fashion, we beat Sp**s 4-2 in the NLD and should have beaten them away. We beat Chelsea and United at home in comfortable fashion. We drew 1-1 and put in an excellent performance vs a Liverpool side that beat everyone. Let's not try and completely rewrite history here, there were several big game performances.

blaze_of_glory

We beat Napoli and Valencia over two legs in convincing fashion, we beat Sp**s 4-2 in the NLD and should have beaten them away. We beat Chelsea and United at home in comfortable fashion. We drew 1-1 and put in an excellent performance vs a Liverpool side that beat everyone. Let's not try and completely rewrite history here, there were several big game performances.
Lost to Chelsea (league and EL), City (twice), Liverpool (and now again this year), Sp**s and Utd in the cups...

It's not horrible but it's hardly worth praising.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
@Makingtrax aside I don’t think anyone here cares about him now.

Most could see the signs last seasons but were accused of having some weird Wenger related agenda by the usual lot. It so obvious now though, even those guys have had to come around.

Emery is a bum.
Don’t get me wrong bro, I’m saying:
1) He deserves a second season after finishing 5th in his first, which is good for a team spending 5th. Better than Klopp and Mourinho’s first season.
2) Don’t think it’s his fault the club didn’t sort out our defensive issues from last year and has allowed them to carry over.
3) There are still big quality issues in midfield and at the centre of defence, which any manager would struggle with.

I never wanted Emery to come here in the first place and don’t think he’s a patch on Wenger. But I still believe he’s not a bad manager and certainly not as bad as people are making out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom