• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Dude, it doesn't matter how you interpret that figure. 92 shots is a ridiculous amount to face for a top team. It speaks volumes as to the porous midfield we have...
Note also, I did not say we have faced 100 shots but that we are nearly at that figure..

Sorry, I was more addressing that you said “100 shots at our goal”, which to me implies that they were 100 shots on goal. It was 100 shots in general, whether it was on our goal or a barn wall wide. I feel people are thinking that stat is on goal. Some part of defensive strategy can be forcing the opponent to take low percentage shots which rarely end up on goal. Again, Watford created 2 quality chances and scored 2 goals on errors out of 31 shots and 10 shots on goal.

Not sure if people remember, but Watford beat us on both occasions in 2017.

In general people are being knee jerk. I agree that Emery is struggling to define an identity which is a necessary trait of a top manager. His identity is basically having a flexible team and adjusting to the opposition, which has lead to inconsistent team performance and maybe some on field cluelessness. Criticism is warrant, but calling for sacking is an embarrassment. Part of it comes from not achieving champions league last season after getting so close. Even though, nearly everyone in the beginning season poll only wanted us to maintain stability and expected 2019/2020 to be when we achieve champions league. Early success changed that target for many who forget how difficult consistency is for any team. Emery did ok for his first season at arsenal. If he doesn’t get champions league this season, agreed to sack.

I think people just have strong polar opinions to make it look like they know what they are talking about or they have higher standards because they know more. As I’ve said, Emery may not be the man, but I’ll have patience and support the team in the meantime.

source.gif

To keep his job he needs to start playing better football.

Not expecting top4 this season. But if we don't start to see better football. Better performances we will be chasing next season too.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Win or not, I have no idea what he's thinking with this dreadful lineup. The one player we shouldn't risk is starting, we have the most awful back four imaginable, he's literally picked the worse possible one. Less said about the midfield, the better.

dbig

Not surprised. I remember us creating quite a number of good chances*, but failing to score. Wish Wenger had gone for PEA earlier instead of persisting with Giroud. Shat the pants against top teams, but should have put a lot of smaller teams to the sword with the chances we were creating.

*But nowhere near earlier Wenger teams.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Getting into the top four isn’t enough.
Top four may not signify progress, so I agree. Fwiw, I feel we progressed last season on the season before. It’s about progress. League position doesn’t always give you the best clue as to whether you’ve got the right man at the helm.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I wasn’t thinking of tactics, I was thinking of quality. Xhaka/Guendouzi in front of Luiz and Sokratis, they’ve been there in some form, whatever system he’s chosen.
is
OK.....Those are mostly his players though (except Xhaka).
In any case, this is his team now. He has the season to prove he is up to the task.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
I can't believe people saying top 4 should be enough for him to keep the job. Utd and Chelsea are really poor squads and we should be comfortably finish 4th. If we are looking like we aren't gonna finish 4th. then he should be sacked mid season. End of season, if we finish 3rd or we get 4th + a trophy (Europa or Fa Cup) at least, then maybe he can continue. With his contract ending, we should happily let him go even if we just get only 4th with a real poor style of football as we won't lose any money.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I can't believe people saying top 4 should be enough for him to keep the job. Utd and Chelsea are really poor squads and we should be comfortably finish 4th. If we are looking like we aren't gonna finish 4th. then he should be sacked mid season. End of season, if we finish 3rd or we get 4th + a trophy (Europa or Fa Cup) at least, then maybe he can continue. With his contract ending, we should happily let him go even if we just get only 4th with a real poor style of football as we won't lose any money.
I personally don't want to see his style of football unless we show real progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom