• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2019/20 Gameweek 7

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

To be fair to Rodgers he really only had SAS and perhaps Gerrard behind them.

We are slowly but surely putting together a great side, with arguably a left winger, central midfielder and central defender away from being the third best side in England.

Rodgers has done more with less, he deserves a chance to play his brand of football with quality side through and through.

Right now, give me Brendan and pay Arteta as number 2

He had one good season at Liverpool with the aid of demon Suarez. Did nothing in 12/13, 14/15 he underachieved despite a lot of money spent and was sacked early in the next season. He didn't even so much as win a cup at Liverpool they lost to Sherwood's Villa in the FA Cup, got knocked out of Europe by Basel and Besiktas. At Swansea he got them promoted. At Leicester he's doing alright at the moment but it's still early days.

I do not know how we can say he'd do a great job here. To me he seems like a fairly decent coach but I think there's a ceiling with him. He just doesn't seem like he's a big club manager.

Manberg

Predator
Rodgers’ biggest regret about Liverpool was probably that DVD :lol:

Is there a gif of him yelling in Sterling’s face?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He had one good season at Liverpool with the aid of demon Suarez. Did nothing in 12/13, 14/15 he underachieved despite a lot of money spent and was sacked early in the next season. He didn't even so much as win a cup at Liverpool they lost to Sherwood's Villa in the FA Cup, got knocked out of Europe by Basel and Besiktas. At Swansea he got them promoted. At Leicester he's doing alright at the moment but it's still early days.

I do not know how we can say he'd do a great job here. To me he seems like a fairly decent coach but I think there's a ceiling with him. He just doesn't seem like he's a big club manager.
Celtic and Liverpool are very big clubs. Think people forget just how much he got from that Liverpool team. To pin it all on Suarez is really unfair, look how far we finished away from the top with RVP in beast mode. Rodgers got the collective working with a couple of magic players thrown in.

He lost two of his best players in one window and Super Mario was brought in who he didn't want. He made mistakes no doubt but his overall career is more success than failure.

Tir Na Nog

Celtic and Liverpool are very big clubs. Think people forget just how much he got from that Liverpool team. To pin it all on Suarez is really unfair, look how far we finished away from the top with RVP in beast mode. The team pulled in the right direction.

He lost two of his best players in one window and Super Mario was brought in who he didn't want. He made mistakes no doubt but his overall career is more success than failure.

None of this means he has what it takes to help us make the step up. Things had gotten so stale under him at Liverpool, also he had falling outs with star players like Suarez and Sterling, there's serious question marks about his man management. Like I said knocked out to Basel and Besiktas, Sherwood's Villa in the cup, end the season losing 6-1 to Stoke. Barely lasts a few weeks the next season. Klopp comes in and he beats Chelsea and City and the overall morale of the team is light-years from what it was under Rodgers. I'm not overly interested about what happened at Celtic, but even then things got stale there too.

With Swansea he got them promoted and then finished 11th with them. Fair play. Again not enough to suggest he'll make a great manager at a club looking to compete for serious titles again. At Celtic the main expectations are winning the league with very little competition with CL being a bonus. He can get hit for 7 vs PSG and Barca and no one will care too much. Can lose 3-0 to Zenit again all they care about is domestic titles because of this obsession with winning 10 in a row to get one over Rangers. At Arsenal the pressure is so so so much more and it's different worlds. You could argue at Liverpool he just couldn't cope with the demands in the same way which Klopp ended up being able to.

I think we should be looking at a lot better than Rodgers unless he achieves something truly remarkable with Leicester this season.

Tir Na Nog

Benitez would be a better shout than Rodgers, even then his record is fairly mixed. His tenures at Real and Inter don't make for great reading. Maybe he's another one better with the underdogs? Tho I suppose we'd count as that if we're hoping to compete with City and Liverpool (not that we're going to any time soon).

GDeep™

League is very weak
Few more bad results and Bruce will have to go. Useless appointment.

His appointment told me the owners don’t care.

Iceman10

Established Member
Benitez would be a better shout than Rodgers, even then his record is fairly mixed. His tenures at Real and Inter don't make for great reading. Maybe he's another one better with the underdogs? Tho I suppose we'd count as that if we're hoping to compete with City and Liverpool (not that we're going to any time soon).

As with Mourinho he is just someone who doesn't seen compatible with Raul/Edu/Vinai. Tensions are fine but the problem is when that all becomes a distraction from the role as first team coach. I'm warming to the idea of Arteta.

Tir Na Nog

As with Mourinho he is just someone who doesn't seen compatible with Raul/Edu/Vinai. Tensions are fine but the problem is when that all becomes a distraction from the role as first team coach. I'm warming to the idea of Arteta.

If a manager is backed and given the players he wants there won't be tensions though. Look at Conte at Inter. Given Godin, Lukaku, Alexis among others in order to have the team he wants, they also got rid of Icardi despite being the talisman for Inter for so long simply because Conte didn't want him there.

Similar at Chelsea in the first season they backed him by giving him Kante, Alonso and Luiz. Some would have questioned the latter two signings but in the end it worked for Chelsea.

I think it was different for Benitez though as it was more with the players there was tensions. At Inter the players didn't respect him because of his attitude toward Mourinho and the fact he was such a downgrade on Mourinho. It was also difficult because he was never gonna replicate Mourinho's success. At Real the players and the job were just too big for him. Straight away he rubbed Ronaldo the wrong way, the writing's pretty much on the wall.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Also why would Arteta leave City where he's Pep's assistant to be Rodgers assistant?

Not an ideal scenario but it’s worth a shot.

Brendan is starting to show credentials as a top four competitor this year. Let’s see where we are by match day 12. I have a feeling still in the hunt.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Leicester are looking good this season. I know they were playing 10 men and a poor team but they are 3rd for a reason. Liverpool away next weekend should tell us more.

Iceman10

Established Member
If a manager is backed and given the players he wants there won't be tensions though. Look at Conte at Inter. Given Godin, Lukaku, Alexis among others in order to have the team he wants, they also got rid of Icardi despite being the talisman for Inter for so long simply because Conte didn't want him there.

Similar at Chelsea in the first season they backed him by giving him Kante, Alonso and Luiz. Some would have questioned the latter two signings but in the end it worked for Chelsea.

I think it was different for Benitez though as it was more with the players there was tensions. At Inter the players didn't respect him because of his attitude toward Mourinho and the fact he was such a downgrade on Mourinho. It was also difficult because he was never gonna replicate Mourinho's success. At Real the players and the job were just too big for him. Straight away he rubbed Ronaldo the wrong way, the writing's pretty much on the wall.

My impression with Benitez and Mourinho is no matter how much they are backed and how much transfer money has been spent they will always ask for lots more. This is fine to push the board but sometimes finances don't support what they want and still they will keep pressing and getting loud, either through minions to the media, or directly in press conferences. This is when things start to become unsustainable.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Think he would look a clown in our defence. As would anyone but the very, very best. We either need a VVD type or a manager who’s going to completely reinvent defending at Arsenal.

Adams would have a heart attack trying to marshall this hapless defense, the less said about the supposed nightmare facing a 20something Turkish defender new to the league, the better :lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

None of this means he has what it takes to help us make the step up. Things had gotten so stale under him at Liverpool, also he had falling outs with star players like Suarez and Sterling, there's serious question marks about his man management. Like I said knocked out to Basel and Besiktas, Sherwood's Villa in the cup, end the season losing 6-1 to Stoke. Barely lasts a few weeks the next season. Klopp comes in and he beats Chelsea and City and the overall morale of the team is light-years from what it was under Rodgers. I'm not overly interested about what happened at Celtic, but even then things got stale there too.

With Swansea he got them promoted and then finished 11th with them. Fair play. Again not enough to suggest he'll make a great manager at a club looking to compete for serious titles again. At Celtic the main expectations are winning the league with very little competition with CL being a bonus. He can get hit for 7 vs PSG and Barca and no one will care too much. Can lose 3-0 to Zenit again all they care about is domestic titles because of this obsession with winning 10 in a row to get one over Rangers. At Arsenal the pressure is so so so much more and it's different worlds. You could argue at Liverpool he just couldn't cope with the demands in the same way which Klopp ended up being able to.

I think we should be looking at a lot better than Rodgers unless he achieves something truly remarkable with Leicester this season.
Your wide of the mark on Sterling and Suarez. Both players are pretty clear how much Rodgers helped develop them and if there was a falling out it didnt last very long.

Your understanding or Scottish football is wide of the mark. Celtic dominated to an unprecedented level. Rangers when Celtic were finishing 4th never had that type of success. An unbeaten season and a treble treble. Arsenal fans should really not slate Celtic getting duffed by Barcelona or PSG given the beating weve taken off Bayern and the financial disparity between Celtic and PSG vs Arsenal and Bayern. Celtic still expect something from those games and fans were annoyed at the results. But there were still positives. Getting out of the group stages and having European football after Christmas in 2 of his 3 seasons. And qualifying for the CL in two of those three seasons. Throw most teams into a group with Barcelona and Man City or Bayern and PSG they will struggle.

Rodgers was also a relatively young manager when he took over Liverpool. 42 years old. Klopp was 48, which is 2 years older than Rodgers currently is. He has matured as a manager as we are seeing at present. I wonder how a 42 year old Klopp would have done at Liverpool, that would be just after his first season at Dortmund?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I have to say BR has turned my head. What he is doing there at LCFC is exciting. He's learned and he's becoming a good manager. Would like to see what he does here.

Top Bottom