• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Seems to be that he's developing Torreira as that link. tbh, could be the only way Torreira establishes himself long-term at Arsenal anyway because I haven't seen much more than ordinary for other roles in CM, esp. for PL. Until/unless we do something in the transfer market this is his quasi-replacement for Özil. Just how I see it, don't blame the messenger. lol.

Torreira and Xhaka had a really good partnership going at one stage last season but Unai scraped it . He wants Torreira as a ball winner to cause turnovers not so much as a link imo, A lot of our goals have come from opposition mistakes . Its a sound enough strategy but its a role that Willock or AMN could fufill as well . Then again Luca started his career as a 10 apparently .

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Then again Luca started his career as a 10 apparently .
Yeah and was told that his ceiling in that position would be the Italian second division if I remember correctly.

I would actually accept Lucas as an advanced midfielder if it looked like we had an established pressing plan. As things are not it's just a futile exercise. God, just talking about Unai Emery Etxegoien gets me annoyed.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm not concerned about the defense, I'm saying that when we win the ball and pass it to Aub, the ball is lost within 2 seconds, making it harder for us to transition to attack and keeping us always in a defensive formation. Usually, that transition would be done by midfielders and Auba would wait for the ball in line with defenders, but Arsenal doesn't have that ability in midfield and that's why I think Laca is crucial for our game because he is the only one who can hold the ball while we transition. It sucks for Auba but I think the team needs something more than 1 person impressive stats.
Making a comparison with RvP and Ade was lame, simply because we would play both of them at the time and we've had midfield that was capable of controlling the game.

The parts in bold are where we'll have to agree to disagree mate. I don't see that at all.

Auba doesn't have that many touches during a game, and is not a physical, back-to-goal striker but neither is Lacazette in my opinion.

If the problem is the inability of our midfield to connect with the strikers, then fix that by replacing immobile one dimensional midfielders like Xhaka with more a more dynamic player who hits a one touch ball forward early and/or can pivot and beat a press.

Again with your final point on RVP/Ade you've highlighted decline of our midfield as the problem. Let's fix the root cause?

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Imagine him in one of Wenger’s old teams that created 20 chances at home regularly. He’s a 40 goal scorer, held back by our negatice tactics.

Meh, his ridiculous current form is a one-off. He has also played another 18 months for this club before the current season, including 6 under Wenger, and he never looked like a 40 goal player. Particularly last season, he missed quite a few.

We can't just blame Emery for the bad and never recognize anything, maybe Auba's current scoring form is partly Emery's doing. Long may it continue.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Meh, his ridiculous current form is a one-off. He has also played another 18 months for this club before the current season, including 6 under Wenger, and he never looked like a 40 goal player. Particularly last season, he missed quite a few.

We can't just blame Emery for the bad and never recognize anything, maybe Auba's current scoring form is partly Emery's doing. Long may it continue.
One off? Have you watched him for Dortmund? All those top scorer races with Lewa with a much lesser team?

ThlRama

One off? Have you watched him for Dortmund? All those top scorer races with Lewa with a much lesser team?

I think this is the best goalscoring form of his life tbh. He gets two or three chances a game and always scores from one. But anyway, I am focusing on his Arsenal career.

He was missing chances last season and it's a stretch to try and imagine him in our teams until 2013 or so. Football has changed a lot since then, Wengerball isn't even viable nowadays.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
...I'm saying that when we win the ball and pass it to Aub, the ball is lost within 2 seconds...

I think Auba should be the first name on the team sheet as he guarantees goals, but you are right with the quoted bit. Auba's hold up play is non existent. He struggles to shield the ball, can't win any headers, can't spin the defender etc. That is a big weakness to accomodate for if you are playing with 1 up top. I dont blame Auba for it, we know he isn't good at that. However like you said it has a big effect on the flow of the game. Whenever Auba manages to hold the ball, suddenly our players spring forward quite quickly. Even players like Guendouzi start to move forward to support the attack, you will then see us looking quite dangerous and the other team has to retreat, giving us vital breathing space. Auba isn't the only culprit, Pepe is almost as bad. Saka has actually been the only decent attacking outlet who gives the midfielders a chance to move up. He keeps the ball better, runs at his marker, spins them etc. Because our default position if we don't have the ball is to fall back deep inside our half, we end up continuously in a very defensive mode. Waiting to only get out once we have secured the ball high upfield.

I'm not exonerating Emery from this. He shouldn't continue with something that isn't working. Either go back to selecting CAM's so we bypass the absolute need for our forwards to hold on to the ball or the whole system collapses or change the whole system.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think this is the best goalscoring form of his life tbh. He gets two or three chances a game and always scores from one. But anyway, I am focusing on his Arsenal career.

He was missing chances last season and it's a stretch to try and imagine him in our teams until 2013 or so. Football has changed a lot since then, Wengerball isn't even viable nowadays.

You think? To be honest?

That kind of statement isn’t a subjective discussion point, it’s pretty easy to do a bit of research and find that your claim this is a fluke is a load of bollocks. Even if you tried to save yourself by changing the scope to his Arsenal career. But since that’s now your focus:

- Fastest Arsenal player to 25 goals: 1. Aubameyang (37 games) 2. Henry (42 games) 3. Wright (51 games)
- He followed this with a streak of 8 in 13 and became fastest Arsenal player to 50 goals
- No player has more PL goals since his Arsenal debut. He’s level with Salah but has played 518 fewer minutes. Better than Kane, Aguero, Mane.
- In his first and only full season at Arsenal thus far, he’s won the PL golden boot

Pretty long running one off huh?

Last edited:

Pepes blue pill

Does he have international duty? If not I have no problem if he plays tonight but would rest him if he has to travel for internationals

razörist

go get 'em aubz
Elite from Auba and the ****ing truth too. Auba asked to leave for two summers and behaved himself, didn't get what was promised by Watzke. Little Ousmane throws a hissy fit and refuses to come train and he gets his transfer.

razörist

xjs8rgff.jpg

ThlRama

You think? To be honest?

That kind of statement isn’t a subjective discussion point, it’s pretty easy to do a bit of research and find that your claim this is a fluke is a load of bollocks. Even if you tried to save yourself by changing the scope to his Arsenal career. But since that’s now your focus:

- Fastest Arsenal player to 25 goals: 1. Aubameyang (37 games) 2. Henry (42 games) 3. Wright (51 games)
- He followed this with a streak of 8 in 13 and became fastest Arsenal player to 50 goals
- No player has more PL goals since his Arsenal debut. He’s level with Salah but has played 518 fewer minutes. Better than Kane, Aguero, Mane.
- In his first and only full season at Arsenal thus far, he’s won the PL golden boot

Pretty long running one off huh?

This has been blown out of proportion because of my "one-off" comment (which referred to his insane chance conversion, not the bare number of goals) and instead what we'd been discussing has probably even been forgotten by now.

This forum is a funny old place, because when I was saying that Auba would have more of an impact than Sanchez for us people were very sceptical, now he is treated like the second coming and even some top forwards Wenger used to work with are easily forgotten (this is where the above discussion started by the way,) as are the many misses Pierre had last season that were one of the reasons we missed top four. The exact same thing with Sokratis, only in reverse, I was attacked for having second thoughts and now many consider him a bad player etc. No sense of perspective, everything is black or white in here.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Does he have international duty? If not I have no problem if he plays tonight but would rest him if he has to travel for internationals

It is a strange situation, he hasn't officially retired. He has threatened to retire on a few occasions because of the Gabonese FA's incompetence. Last one was when they announced his dad as Coach of the national team before they even consulted him which Auba condemned publicly and said things like this was the reason he thinks of retiring or why he doesn't always turn up for their games.

We shouldn't have him in the squad for tonight regardless. Martinelli will be fine against Standard Liege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom