• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The biggest problem we now have with Özil is that he retired from international football. He has zero motivation to play as he doesnt need to impress an international manager. He can sit at home or play if required but he has nothing pushing him to be a regular here or elsewhere. I've no doubt if he was still playing international football he would be gone be that permanently or on loan.
He probably thought he'd be better off for it, but you can't just create that edge. Wenger was right. But in hindsight, it was a very obvious call. Wenger knew him well.

Godwin1

Very well-known
You said he “stunk the place out” under Wenger. You then revised that to only mean his last season and part of the season before.

The whole team was ****e in Wenger’s final season, but even so, calling Özil “worthless” is OTT.
He did stink the place out, the highest rated player in our squad on a massive contract producing that? We should have let him go then rather than let him ride out a few more seasons before letting him go to China or whoever will take him. Revisionism :lol:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I believe a club is contractually bound to select a player for a minimum amount of appearances if they're fit-unless they've been told that they can leave. We really should have told Özil to go when last season ended and played hard ball like Inter did with Icardi. If Özil then stayed, that was solely down to him.
And I believe the tooth fairy has been stealing from me.

Divided_Pie

How anyone can think an assist here and there for YouTube clips is more than good enough to play for a top 4 PL team is beyond me. As some others have already said in this thread, why not just bring an aged Ronaldinho to Arsenal?
What matters is whether it’s better than our current alternatives, not some arbitrary barometer like “good enough for a top 4 PL team.”

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
**** Özil. Gone in January, then you bed-wetters will have nothing to wet your beds for.

After that, maybe Emery, maybe not--again, who gives a ****? Onwards and hopefully upwards.

COYG.
768e351c042e6588f9db9aa9bf9b26a3.gif

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
He did stink the place out, the highest rated player in our squad on a massive contract producing that? We should have let him go then rather than let him ride out a few more seasons before letting him go to China or whoever will take him. Revisionism :lol:

Revisionism on your part more like.

He was absolutely amazing until he signed the contract. We then bottled the league and only had the EL to play for, where he performed superb against Milan, CSKA, and an incredible performance at the Emirates vs Atletico.

Iceman10

Established Member
What matters is whether it’s better than our current alternatives, not some arbitrary barometer like “good enough for a top 4 PL team.”

If he isn't good enough for a top 4 PL team then we have to look to the future regardless. As it is, he isn't better than the alternatives to secure more points, so that is not a defence for him either. If the manager has deemed that it is better for him to be kept out of the dressing room so that the first team can move on without someone the manager feels has a negative rather than positive influence I am fine with that also.

Divided_Pie

If he isn't good enough for a top 4 PL team then we have to look to the future regardless. As it is, he isn't better than the alternatives to secure more points, so that is not a defence for him either. If the manager has deemed that it is better for him to be kept out of the dressing room so that the first team can move on without someone the manager feels has a negative rather than positive influence I am fine with that also.
If you are saying you don’t think he would improve the team at all if he were played this season, that’s a completely different argument. I disagree strongly with this based on our struggles to create chances.

Iceman10

Established Member
If you are saying you don’t think he would improve the team at all if he were played this season, that’s a completely different argument. I disagree strongly with this based on our struggles to create chances.

Potential to create extra chances is a pro, but isn't something that resides in a vacuum detached from an overall pros/cons weigh-up. Hence the point in my comment you initially responded to, about an aged Ronaldinho.

Divided_Pie

Potential to create extra chances is a pro, but isn't something that resides in a vacuum detached from an overall pros/cons weigh-up. Hence the point in my comment you initially responded to, about an aged Ronaldinho.
That’s fine, I happen to disagree. He’s not even making the bench at home against poor opponents so It’s hard for me to believe that it’s because the other options are better, but we can agree to disagree.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Creativity (which I assume to mean things like vision, awareness and incisive passing) should never be confused with creating chances.

The teams that create chances consistently are also the teams that force the most errors from their opponents by playing high intensity and using full backs with a passing range better than most midfielders to switch play or hit forwards early.

Wide areas are where the space is. Robertson and TAA had 23 assists last season. Because teams tend to let you have the ball there. No CBs or CMs want to go wide.

No team has ever won the league without elite use of width and effective pressing. Ever. Plenty have done so without use of a number 10.

Pepes blue pill

Creativity (which I assume to mean things like vision, awareness and incisive passing) should never be confused with creating chances.

The teams that create chances consistently are also the teams that force the most errors from their opponents by playing high intensity and using full backs with a passing range better than most midfielders to switch play or hit forwards early.

Wide areas are where the space is. Robertson and TAA had 23 assists last season. Because teams tend to let you have the ball there. No CBs or CMs want to go wide.

No team has ever won the league without elite use of width and effective pressing. Ever. Plenty have done so without use of a number 10.

and we have none of them, cheers for cheering me up before bed :(

Pepes blue pill

refuse to accept we got a ***** as manager who plays dms as n10 instead of someone like Özil, think he is making us look boring so he can then put Özil back into the team and the media will finally give Özil the praise he deserves as they will think he is the difference

Great thinking emery, good ebening

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Our football is terrible. It's boring. We don't look more defensively solid because of Ozils absence, and we don't have better than him.

I still have high hopes for Ceballos, but let's not pretend he's turned us around creatively. Burnley was a little preview of what Is possible, but the xhaka, Guendouzi torreira situation just looks like it won't fit. I'm not even against Özil leaving at the end of the season, but only if we can find that creativity elsewhere.

I pay for 2 season tickets. I am not enjoying the football despite finding us having a relatively fortunate league position. The midfield with the exception of douzi who I would say is a bit erratic, but full of character, is otherwise just without a clear style.

You cannot tell me we have literally zero use for mesut Özil whilst we are playing such turgid football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom