• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preacher

Always Crying
I have the same problem with Emery as Stillman pointed out there. Publicly Emery talks about one things regarding our style of play for a long time already since he was appointed, but we're witnessing different things. Something isn't working or his words doesn't go through players. I would even say that we're going backwards.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I have the same problem with Emery as Stillman pointed out there. Publicly Emery talks about one things regarding our style of play already for a long time since he was appointed, but we're witnessing different things. Something isn't working or his words doesn't go through players. I would say we're going backwards.

Today Luiz, Chambers, Ceballos, Saka & Pepe were new team members this season. Substitutes too, Martinelli & Willock (basically).

That's half of the team. Can it explain anything? Maybe they don't have so many games together yet?

Preacher

Always Crying
Today Luiz, Chambers, Ceballos, Saka, Pepe were new team members this season. Substitutes too, Martinelli & Willock (basically).

That's half of the team. Can it explain anything? Maybe they don't have so many games together yet?
I don't think so. They did pretty well in the 1st half, but in the 2nd they completely lost the plot. Bournemouth were dominating. This has coaching fingerprints all over it.

We played at home against weak defensive team like Bournemouth and our frontline was living off scraps during all the second half. While watching I felt Aubameyang's frustration.

drippin

I don't think so. They did pretty well in the 1st half, but in the 2nd they completely lost the plot. Bournemouth were dominating. This has coaching fingerprints all over it.

We played at home against weak defensive team like Bournemouth and our frontline was living off scraps during all the second half. While watching I felt Aubameyang's frustration.

Okay, you think it can't explain anything. :lol: We must disagree then, but I get your point.

Auba has mentioned how he thinks we need Lacazette to bring his quality in certain games.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
I'm disappointed with how things are going, even our wins don't come with convincing scorelines domestically, but we need to point out two things:

a) Emery's style has never been one of domination in games, it has always looked clunky and jammy like this under him, excluding PSG. What this Arsenal team lack compared to some of his best teams in Spain is the ability to cut through teams when it matters the most and find goals against the run of play. This is his specialty, and we have witnessed little of that at Arsenal. With him as manager, results are bound to always be better than performances, even if that says very little to some the way our performances are going right now.

b) What has been repeated ad nauseum in here is that we have been regressing since March and that last season our performances caught up on us. Both are factually incorrect - this season we are clearly better than we were at the tail end of last season (even if not better than at the start of last season, which we did start with two defeats anyway,) and last season it wasn't our performances catching up on us and leading to scorelines more indicative of what happened over the 90 minutes, what happened is that we hit a period of horrible form. And bad form has to happen for everybody at some point during the season.

There is no way you can compare games like those vs. Everton or Watford at home, in which people thought we got dominated, to our losses late in the season. Even if you think we weren't the better team in the former (which is an opinion often formed without consideration of the particular styles of play,) we always looked like we stood a chance, we took the game between the hammer and the anvil for the opposition, made it into a slugfest that Emery loves. During our last few losses in the run-in we looked hopeless.

I'm not trying to be positive here, I just think that too much negativity leads people to constant revisionism. You don't like Emery's football even when it works, fine, but you can't say it never worked even at the slightest. What I expect from now on is quite a few wins without many good performances, and then if we make it to New Year's with our points tally looking pretty, then the next 5 months will be make or break for Emery. If we finish third and win the Europa or FA Cup, I won't give a penny about performances personally. But if we finish outside the top four and win nothing, then he has to go anyway because he has had two seasons to deliver. The quality of football doesn't really come that much into the equation for me, only in very slight nuances. Oh, by the way...

c) Some claim that they don't care about watching the team anymore. I'm one of them. But the same applies for football in general. Do you enjoy watching the PL in general as you maybe did, say, three seasons ago? How about the CL? I would like this to be answered because for me bad style is the state of the game right now, it's not an Arsenal thing in particular.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If City losing to Wolves was a one off, what was City losing to Norwich? City have lost 2 and drawn 1 out of 8 games, that's 16 pts out of 24 pts. Pep has lost twice as many PL games this season than Emery yet I don't hear people shouting Pep out. Lets give Emery the season to prove his value, if he fails he's out.
My point is that despite the fact that city have lost like this, they will bounce back in style. Let's not forget that city there was a period last season where city lost 3 PL games in 4. But they recovered and went on that 23 match winning streak which ultimately led to them winning the title. I don't know why you're comparing us with city? quality wise, we're miles off them.

Is it too much for us to win games comfortably?
Is it too much for me to want us to play cohesively?
Again, I don't hate the manager. I hope he turns it around soon. Your argument is that HB, KT and RH will come in to the side and help us dominate games. If you look at what Emery has been doing, I don't think he's setting up to dominate games, I think he wants to invite pressure onto our half. I may be wrong.
My point was also that Chelsea's defense that looks worse than ours on paper look more comfortable than ours.

Like I've been saying during our back and forth, bad performances eventually will catch up with you. It always does.

We don't create chances regularly from open play. Look at Chelsea, they create chances for fun.

I was in favour of him ostracising Özil from the squad. I think it was the right decision. But we're too one dimensional and we look laboured during our build up and his persistence with Xhaka is sucking the life out of our games.

At the end of the season, I hope to see us playing entertaining stuff or at least decent football, not this Pulis football

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I dont think it carries much weight when there are 3 clubs with only 1 point less than us. 1 bad week can leave us in 6th.

The table will start to make more sense in 5 games imo. Right now Leicester are the third best side in the league. They beat Sp**s at home who we drew to, and put in such a strong performance at Anfield where we capitulated.

drippin

I dont think it carries much weight when there are 3 clubs with only 1 point less than us. 1 bad week can leave us in 6th.

The table will start to make more sense in 5 games imo. Right now Leicester are the third best side in the league. They beat Sp**s at home who we drew to, and put in such a strong performance at Anfield where we capitulated.

Not much use to look at league table positions yet as you say. Last year at this point we had 3 points more with two top 6 matches. Okay start, no losses to Sp**s or United either so they are behind.

Are you sure Leicester put a strong performance at Anfield? I heard the commentator say otherwise when I watched the end of it. That the result was very justified.

Looking at those games, the possession was very even in both. Liverpool 5(25) shots vs Arsenal 3(9) shots. Liverpool 8(18) shots vs. Leicester 1(2) shots.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We are actually getting worse ,what horrifies me is the lack of drive the team show . We just switch off for long periods of time . Everytime it's matchday I really am baffled by this Özil doesn't work hard enough fro the team or in training . I'm watching a side that strolls through a match .at times casually passing to each other in the back line .

Iceman10

Established Member
We are actually getting worse ,what horrifies me is the lack of drive the team show . We just switch off for long periods of time . Everytime it's matchday I really am baffled by this Özil doesn't work hard enough fro the team or in training . I'm watching a side that strolls through a match .at times casually passing to each other in the back line .

This actually is quite a disconnect from what we showed in the first half. The only real issue during the first half was failure to get a second goal when we were well on top, but we had a penalty that should have been given (Pepe blocked off, bad VAR review), some other chances, and not scoring the second goal when on top is nothing new compared with Wenger's latter years at the Emirates.

Better energy, better shape, better pressing, i.e. improvement. Wasn't sustained in the second half, but more fitness work and conditioning as the season progresses will make it more sustainable over the whole 90+ minutes.

Wryer

Losing count of the number of times we ceded initiative after a flurry of substitutions. Lost a lot of the momentum. Sure, we were already under pressure prior, but the subs actually made it worse. Willock and Torreira were all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom