• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Why do people just presume it's Emery who doesn't want to state the real reason behind Özil's situation? As it was pointed out we have a comitee now, and decisions regarding the squad are taken within a group of certain people. It could very well be possible we're keeping it private because a decision was made on executive level not beacuse this is some personal vendetta by Emery.
Very true!

sammy89

Why do people just presume it's Emery who doesn't want to state the real reason behind Özil's situation? As it was pointed out we have a comitee now, and decisions regarding the squad are taken within a group of certain people. It could very well be possible we're keeping it private because a decision was made on executive level not beacuse this is some personal vendetta by Emery.

I have a strong feeling that the decision on Özil was helped by people above Emery suggesting that if they get his wages off the books it'll be diverted to transfers. But I'm sure he made the final decision using playing factors as an excuse.

Jae

Emery can't be seen to be giving preferential treatment to a lazy trainer (IF that is indeed the case). What kind of message does that send out to the other players in or squad? Especially our young players.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Emery can't be seen to be giving preferential treatment to a lazy trainer (IF that is indeed the case). What kind of message does that send out to the other players in or squad? Especially our young players.
You're a level headed guy. why is there always a story? First it's the attack, then fitness. There's a constant story around it. Even with Wenger, who loved him, there was always a story. Just feels like 3/4 years of lies surrounding Özil. I never know what to believe

Bennett

What to believe is the obvious story that's staring everyone in the face. Özil is fit in the sense that he's not carrying an injury but he's not fit enough to meet the managers demands physically and he's not motivated enough to try to reach that level of fitness in training. Due to the fact that he's our hugest earner and biggest "star" Emery is walking a tight rope and being diplomatic in basically dancing around the issue without outright stating the above and cutting the player out totally. He made him a captain basically as an olive branch to show him that he can still be part of the team if he wants to put in the work, and he knows that Özil even if completely frozen out will probably happily sit on the bench draining wages instead of agitating for a move.

Bennett

What to believe is the obvious story that's staring everyone in the face. Özil is fit in the sense that he's not carrying an injury but he's not fit enough to meet the managers demands physically and he's not motivated enough to try to reach that level of fitness in training. Due to the fact that he's our hugest earner and biggest "star" Emery is walking a tight rope and being diplomatic in basically dancing around the issue without outright stating the above and cutting the player out totally. He made him a captain basically as an olive branch to show him that he can still be part of the team if he wants to put in the work, and he knows that Özil even if completely frozen out will probably happily sit on the bench draining wages instead of agitating for a move.

Pepes blue pill

we heard you first time

Iceman10

Established Member
Some here see Özil's wages as central, and all of this on the lines of some sort of conspiracy to get him off the books. His wages may play a part, but are not central to what is going on, at least from the club's perspective. Any motivation issues with the player after he signed his current contract (Jan-2018) are on him, but also purely speculation.

This is all more about transitioning the squad and dressing room away from Özil, although even now I would say the door is not 100% closed on him. There are some disagreements in this thread regarding PL points Arsenal would bag with and without Özil. I happen to believe right now that it is in best interests of PL points at the end of the season to perform this transition to post-Özil now. This is based on pros/cons, and is something where people can agree to disagree, but that is all substance, not dismissing that all and claiming there must be some sort of cynical conspiracy going on against him purely about his wages.

Should also add, if someone genuinely feels it is in best interests of PL points haul at the end of the season to look beyond Özil, this is a view based on what that individual sees as best interests of the club.

Jae

You're a level headed guy. why is there always a story? First it's the attack, then fitness. There's a constant story around it. Even with Wenger, who loved him, there was always a story. Just feels like 3/4 years of lies surrounding Özil. I never know what to believe

He's an amazing footballer on his day and an amazing person (does a hell of a lot of work for charity), but he is generally very laid back, quiet and relaxed and some (not me) would say lethargic, not your "stereotypical" footballer. It was exactly the same with Dimitar Berbatov, because of the way he acted (both on and off the pitch) people loved to talk about him (he also got called lazy all the time).

There's definitely a narrative, I don't think he has a particularly great relationship with the press, both at home and abroad. I do feel like he was scapegoated for what happened with the German national team and I personally do feel like his Race/Religion played a part in that - there were far worse (indigenous) performers in that team who got away with murder. He had it all to prove after this happened and I thought he would explode, it seemed to finally light a fire in him. Never materialised though.

I personally think the issue with the German NT had far more of an effect on him than people realise. Like he said "When we win I'm German, when we lose, I'm an immigrant." I believe him as well. Must be a horrible thing to have to go through.

I think the issue for us as Arsenal fans is the fact that he was touted as the player to take us to the next level, a global superstar, the world's best number 10 (and for two seasons for us he was). So he's still being held to that standard, particularly being the highest paid player in the league. The media (and pundits) love a good story and unfortunately for Mesut he's an easy target, especially given his profile in the football world as well.

We don't know what's true and what isn't, we can only go on what people at the club are saying. If Emery says someone else in the team deserves to play more than Özil (for whatever reason) then you have to take it at face value unless we have confirmed evidence to the contrary.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Since all contracts are guaranteed (as far as I understand) and Özil refuses to move on his own accord, I feel the club has no other option than to start playing hardball.

Has it been tried elsewhere to cancel a running contract for contract breach on the player's side and then refuse to pay any further salary? When he sues the club could counter with various contract breach arguments and fight him through arbitration or courts until he has had his fill. Not sure club would even need to go through with it, but simply threaten the player enough so he understand he needs to move on from Arsenal. Struggle to see, why we should need to take him not wanting to move on, sitting down.

If anyone knows of similar situations where clubs have tried tactics in this direction and been successful or unsuccessful I would be interested.

ceadsearc

I’m an Özil fan.
I would be happy to drop Özil if the football on display was attractive. But sadly it isn’t. It’s kind of boring. None of the combination plays that we got during wenger’s era - the quick one twos near the penalty box. Lots of it is just - put it wide cross it. So ok I am happy to drop Özil if we can find something better but so far it isn’t it.

Divided_Pie

Why would anyone presume Emery doesn't control of his team selection like every other coach/manager does? Never heard of a coach or manager who had someone else choose his team for him. Could that happen? I suppose, but I don't know why any self-respecting coach or manager would take a job where he doesn't get to choose who he plays. Assuming that someone other than Emery is making the call is the more ridiculous stance.

Last edited:

Divided_Pie

What kind of message does it send to the young players when he makes Xhaka captain and first choice on the team sheet? That kissing ass pays off and you can be the worst player on the pitch but still get game time if you just fall in line?

Divided_Pie

He made him a captain basically as an olive branch to show him that he can still be part of the team if he wants to put in the work, and he knows that Özil even if completely frozen out will probably happily sit on the bench draining wages instead of agitating for a move.
This is the kind of ridiculous presumptive benefit of the doubt that Emery gets by the Özil haters when Emery's decisions are clearly nonsensical and hypocritical.

The guy is a fraud and a coward - if you accept that reality it will explain everything else.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He's an amazing footballer on his day and an amazing person (does a hell of a lot of work for charity), but he is generally very laid back, quiet and relaxed and some (not me) would say lethargic, not your "stereotypical" footballer. It was exactly the same with Dimitar Berbatov, because of the way he acted (both on and off the pitch) people loved to talk about him (he also got called lazy all the time).

There's definitely a narrative, I don't think he has a particularly great relationship with the press, both at home and abroad. I do feel like he was scapegoated for what happened with the German national team and I personally do feel like his Race/Religion played a part in that - there were far worse (indigenous) performers in that team who got away with murder. He had it all to prove after this happened and I thought he would explode, it seemed to finally light a fire in him. Never materialised though.

I personally think the issue with the German NT had far more of an effect on him than people realise. Like he said "When we win I'm German, when we lose, I'm an immigrant." I believe him as well. Must be a horrible thing to have to go through.

I think the issue for us as Arsenal fans is the fact that he was touted as the player to take us to the next level, a global superstar, the world's best number 10 (and for two seasons for us he was). So he's still being held to that standard, particularly being the highest paid player in the league. The media (and pundits) love a good story and unfortunately for Mesut he's an easy target, especially given his profile in the football world as well.

We don't know what's true and what isn't, we can only go on what people at the club are saying. If Emery says someone else in the team deserves to play more than Özil (for whatever reason) then you have to take it at face value unless we have confirmed evidence to the contrary.
Thanks man, great response. Was keen to hear your actual thoughts on it because the one line answers don't paint the full picture. As I mentioned, level headed guy.. backed it up with the post too!

Reactions: Jae

Jae

Thanks man, great response. Was keen to hear your actual thoughts on it because the one line answers don't paint the full picture. As I mentioned, level headed guy.. backed it up with the post too!

Cheers buddy! Yourself also, always enjoy reading your posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom