• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What happened to Super Jack?

Which answer is the right one?

• Total voters

say yes

forum master baiter
Overplayed in his breakout season and then ruined by injuries.

One of the most talented prospects I’ve ever seen.

Beast Incarnate

He picked up that bad injury at a crucial stage of his development. Think he missed about 18 months-2 years. He was never the same after that and his body would always breakdown.

Jack is a great example of why you should be careful with these younger players.

TornadoTed

Established Member
One thing I always noticed with Jack was that he used to wait for a player to lunge in and then nip the ball away, he drew a lot of fouls but got clattered a lot. Maradona did the same, he still holds the record for most fouls at a World Cup, 53 times in 1986. Getting battered all the time is bound to catch up in the end.

I have always wondered if Jack was coached to play like that or if it was a natural habit that couldn't be coached out of him.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
One thing I always noticed with Jack was that he used to wait for a player to lunge in and then nip the ball away, he drew a lot of fouls but got clattered a lot. Maradona did the same, he still holds the record for most fouls at a World Cup, 53 times in 1986. Getting battered all the time is bound to catch up in the end.

I have always wondered if Jack was coached to play like that or if it was a natural habit that couldn't be coached out of him.
So true. Brilliant post. Had forgotten about this. Most players anticipate the challenge and react in time to soften the blow. Jack played the ball and worried about his body afterwards. To the detriment of his career.. but he truly opened things up and played some lovely stuff using this style. We've missed a ball carrying CM since him. Hoping Ceballos and Willock change this (to some extent they have)

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Honestly, if Wilshere wasn’t a world class talent I don’t know what that makes someone like AMN.

He remains one of the best players to come from the academy, but never developed into what might have been because he was out for over 15 months.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
No idea really what his true potential was but the best youth product I have seen us produce since Cole by a ****ing mile.

Came in to the team day one with a great attitude & his style just screamed Wenger.

Always thought it spoke alot how depended England were on him when ever fit for a number of years... he racked up 34 caps which is crazy as only played around 200 for us.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

As others have said - injuries. Such a pity as well as most of us didn't want to give up on him. Just checked and he's only 27 years old, he should be entering his prime now. Makes me sad.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I agree with @bingobob that it was a combination of injuries and the young player burst fizzling out.

However I would say of the two factors the injuries were the key, a good 80-90% of the reason. He was sensational and would have been a solid top 6 club player on just talent alone.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Fitness.

His lack of athleticism didn't matter much at youth level, but in the men's game, it meant he often had to over compensate in duels, couldn't shield the ball, and after one bad muscular injury, his body became even more brittle.

He was definitely overplayed in his first season though.

That identity move of his where he could take the ball in first touch and either immediately go past his marker or if not still creating tons of space for him self was such a joy to watch. When young Wilshere had the ball you felt like he had all the time in the world to do something with it.

After injuries that move seemed to be gone but you could still see him playing with great football brain but you always felt like he knew him self that this wasn't the real Jack Wilshere, just a shadow.

Love the guy to bits! Hope his Arsenal story is not over! There is a role for Jack to play here in the future!

baccy_man

Established Member
I remember Jack playing as a young lad and thinking he was playing a lot of games as a young player i also thought that playing so many games at a young age would he get burnt out as a player before he had fully matured,
Then he started picking up injuries after he was getting bad tackles by players that he was a bit too cute for,
He took quite a lot of hits on his ankles and they caught up with him when he had such long periods not playing because of injuries,
He had quite a bit of surgery on his ankles and that can't have done his feet much good.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Injuries and overplayed during his development.

And the lack of focus on athleticism in general and subpar physical training

Manberg

Predator
When was the moment his injury troubles started? Was it when he played for England and he was tackled by Djourou?

I know he was overplayed that season but it still felt like he got injured at a specific point and never played again the following season.

As for his post rehabilitation period, I feel that the harsh criticism from Scholes, one of his idols, seriously knocked his confidence.

Last edited:

Ciscoo

Wenger was a bit too laissez-faire with his development and those 49 games took its toll. He’s also one of the most bow-legged players I’ve ever seen, which no doubt made things worse.

Jack could’ve been great. I miss watching his style of play and it’s a bit weird watching Ceballos in his role, since I think Jack was more talented.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Now here’s the real reason I started this thread :lol:

Could you answer the same question about Theo Walcott? Now before you all laugh bear in mind how electric he was between RVP’s departure and his massive knee injury against Sp**s in the Cup.

With the possible exception of Cazorla he was our best player until we signed Özil. For me the injury ruined him, when he came back in 2014/15 he’d lost a burst of speed and he was never the same.

He was a top class goal threat between 2010 and 2014 and I think he was someone who was robbed of his best years. He wasn’t as big a talent as Wilshere and he definitely overstayed his welcome but he was still a very good player in his prime.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Now here’s the real reason I started this thread :lol:

Could you answer the same question about Theo Walcott? Now before you all laugh bear in mind how electric he was between RVP’s departure and his massive knee injury against Sp**s in the Cup.

With the possible exception of Cazorla he was our best player until we signed Özil. For me the injury ruined him, when he came back in 2014/15 he’d lost a burst of speed and he was never the same.

He was a top class goal threat between 2010 and 2014 and I think he was someone who was robbed of his best years. He wasn’t as big a talent as Wilshere and he definitely overstayed his welcome but he was still a very good player in his prime.

I’m far less surprised by where Theo Walcott is now than by where Jack Wilshere is now.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He came into the team at 18, broke into the England side straight away and was one of our most important players of the 10/11 season. That says it all for me.

It is what it is though. Diaby was a bigger talent and had far worse injury problems.

Top Bottom