• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerJay24

We are also a club that plays good attacking football. It's been our brand since Wenger became our manager. I wouldn't change our image for Emery. I sincerely hope he is a stopgap manager no matter the results if our attack is hoping auba can bail us out. Thats how it looks. You can see the difference when we play our youngsters in Europa league. Clear attacking plan, beautiful to watch.

I don't know I kind of feel like Wenger is a one off, the way he coached his team's to play at their very best was the best football I've ever seen played anywhere. We Arsenal fans have been spoilt at times.

I believe Emery's style of play is to be attacking but in a different way to Wenger's philosophy.
The start of last season we played some very good attacking football at times but when key players got injured we became a more pragmatic team and this is something Wenger struggled with when key players were injured, he lacked flexibility.

Anyway I believe we should all support Emery until the end of this season and go from there. With the likes of Tierney and Bellerin returning I'm sure performances will improve and we'll see much better attacking patterns of play.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't think it is particularly helpful for the club to start a manager discussion now. While the football has been somewhat agricultural, I think we need to wait until the end of this season to make a judgement.

I readily admit to being a 'Wenger In' fan, and I think overall you want to support your manager. We don't have the finances to be a hire and fire club.

That being said, if we cannot make top four this season, Emery will be under severe scrutiny...

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I don't think it is particularly helpful for the club to start a manager discussion now. While the football has been somewhat agricultural, I think we need to wait until the end of this season to make a judgement.

I readily admit to being a 'Wenger In' fan, and I think overall you want to support your manager. We don't have the finances to be a hire and fire club.

That being said, if we cannot make top four this season, Emery will be under severe scrutiny...
Let's say we do scrape into Top 4 this season, would you be willing to see him here for another year? If he can't get us playing well in 2 years, would you risk having him drop out of Top 4 again and ruin all that effort? Cause competition will be a lot tougher than it is this time around.

Divided_Pie

Did you happen to know that Pep & Klopp also want great work attitude and stamina from players for their tactics to work? It doesn't have to be either or.
It doesn’t have to be, if a) you have a coach that can adapt to the players, and b) win trophies. Emery hasn’t done either.

You could argue that Emery has done well with Auba (I disagree - look at Auba’s body language in the last match, and think about the fact that he hasn’t signed a new contract), but other gifted players and top signings (Ramsey, Özil, Auba, Pepe, Torreira) have been allowed to leave, frozen out, underutilized, not supported, or played out of position.

Yes, a manager needs the right players for his system, but at a top club the system should be built around talented players, not grafters. Emery’s system doesn’t scale, and is honestly just **** to watch and I’m sure it’s **** to play in unless you are an attacking fullback.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It doesn’t have to be, if a) you have a coach that can adapt to the players, and b) win trophies. Emery hasn’t done either.

You could argue that Emery has done well with Auba (I disagree - look at Auba’s body language in the last match, and think about the fact that he hasn’t signed a new contract), but other gifted players and top signings (Ramsey, Özil, Auba, Pepe, Torreira) have been allowed to leave, frozen out, underutilized, not supported, or played out of position.

Yes, a manager needs the right players for his system, but at a top club the system should be built around talented players, not grafters. Emery’s system doesn’t scale, and is honestly just **** to watch and I’m sure it’s **** to play in unless you are an attacking fullback.

We will know more about Auba if we get to UCL. Unless they make a new contract which has some kind of release clause if Arsenal doesn't get to UCL. I think it's obvious he wants UCL at this point of his career, and won't renew without it. Anything other than that is to me pure speculation if there are no quotes.

I'm not gonna waste my time repeating all points about those players and the possible reasons for what has happened.

Who are those "grafters" in Arsenal you are talking about? Xhaka, others? Emery is not a manager, but a head coach. He doesn't get the ultimate say about players Arsenal has. He is beneath Raul.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Let's say we do scrape into Top 4 this season, would you be willing to see him here for another year? If he can't get us playing well in 2 years, would you risk having him drop out of Top 4 again and ruin all that effort? Cause competition will be a lot tougher than it is this time around.

I think if we get into the top four, and the board supports him, then the fans should support him.

We will get nowhere if we are hopelessly divided. I know this is not a popular viewpoint.

GoonerJay24

Depends on multiple factors like team morale, development of young players and performance in cup completions. But I'd give him another season if he achieved champions League.

You never know, competition may be easier next year.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Needed at Arsenal

Can you imagine the meltdown if we appointed Eddie Howe? If his name was Eduardo Howez then everyone would be all for it tho. Top top coach, really like him and would be thrilled to see him here. Can't see it happening tho. Most would deem Bournemouth to Arsenal too big a step up, also not high profile enough.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
While this is true, who is available that could turn us around?
I'm with @GDeep™ on this. While I'd love to be able to say "Emery can F.O. for go" we do not want to be changing for the sake of it. If Emery get CL and nobody is available, keep him until something opens.

100% agree. While I've been very negative towards Emery from last autumn on, I've also never been a fan of firing during a season as long as results keep on coming. And as you say the availability of "someone better" certainly is a factor, too. To me, the whole point of firing the current manager and getting someone new is to get better overall. It's why underperforming teams fire and hire, and it's why bigger teams fire and hire when they see the chance to still improve. A mostly fitting example could be Bayern letting go of Heynckes who had just won not only the first Bayern but the first German triple ever and who was still under contract to get Guardiola in, with whom they felt they could improve even more.

I didn't want to keep Wenger, cause as much as I love the man, I felt new blood was desperatly needed, and as happy as I was at first Emery got the job in context of absolute newbies like Arteta reportedly having been frontrunners, too, but now the feeling remains Arsenal kind of missed the point of firing and hiring by getting Emery, as the "get better factor" hasn't exactly set in. Of course it's always a gamble and Emery could've been the jackpot, but at the same time there's the need for constant evaluation, and in light of results, performance and their ambiguous context the man definitely has to be questioned.

Changing just for the sake of it shouldn't be an option ever, but when there's a SOS situation or the real opportunity to get someone the club believe can do better, you just have to act. And people shouldn't look at Man United too much, I think. That hierarchy is an absolute shambles and I also think it should be noted they don't change managers just for the sake of it, I actually believe very few clubs do that, they are just very, very bad at finding the right time and the right new guy to do so.

Of course patience also is a factor, but that's got its own context. E.g. Werder Bremen had a shambolic start to this season after openly saying they were clearly targeting a return to Europe. There are a few clubs who would've already gotten rid of the manager for that, and I could understand that just looking at this season. But Kohfeldt has lead them to 11th and 8th in the past two seasons, established a clear offensive and possession based style and formed a distinguishable unit. They've now been hit with a serious injury crisis and underperformed. But Bremen remain their trust in him and in the context of his work there, it's understandable. So such a context has too factor in, too, but to me, for Emery, there's just not that much credit of actual good work done. He's definitely on the chopping block for me at the end of this season as long as results keep coming in, which just right now saves him til the end of 19/20 for me, factoring in the few, few other available options and that there's not (yet) an emergency situation like losing out on top 4 at hand.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
100% agree. While I've been very negative towards Emery from last autumn on, I've also never been a fan of firing during a season as long as results keep on coming. And as you say the availability of "someone better" certainly is a factor, too. To me, the whole point of firing the current manager and getting someone new is to get better overall. It's why underperforming teams fire and hire, and it's why bigger teams fire and hire when they see the chance to still improve. A mostly fitting example could be Bayern letting go of Heynckes who had just won not only the first Bayern but the first German triple ever and who was still under contract to get Guardiola in, with whom they felt they could improve even more.

I didn't want to keep Wenger, cause as much as I love the man, I felt new blood was desperatly needed, and as happy as I was at first Emery got the job in context of absolute newbies like Arteta reportedly having been frontrunners, too, but now the feeling remains Arsenal kind of missed the point of firing and hiring by getting Emery, as the "get better factor" hasn't exactly set in. Of course it's always a gamble and Emery could've been the jackpot, but at the same time there's the need for constant evaluation, and in light of results, performance and their ambiguous context the man definitely has to be questioned.

Changing just for the sake of it shouldn't be an option ever, but when there's a SOS situation or the real opportunity to get someone the club believe can do better, you just have to act. And people shouldn't look at Man United too much, I think. That hierarchy is an absolute shambles and I also think it should be noted they don't change managers just for the sake of it, I actually believe very few clubs do that, they are just very, very bad at finding the right time and the right new guy to do so.

Of course patience also is a factor, but that's got its own context. E.g. Werder Bremen had a shambolic start to this season after openly saying they were clearly targeting a return to Europe. There are a few clubs who would've already gotten rid of the manager for that, and I could understand that just looking at this season. But Kohfeldt has lead them to 11th and 8th in the past two seasons, established a clear offensive and possession based style and formed a distinguishable unit. They've now been hit with a serious injury crisis and underperformed. But Bremen remain their trust in him and in the context of his work there, it's understandable. So such a context has too factor in, too, but to me, for Emery, there's just not that much credit of actual good work done. He's definitely on the chopping block for me at the end of this season as long as results keep coming in, which just right now saves him til the end of 19/20 for me, factoring in the few, few other available options and that there's not (yet) an emergency situation like losing out on top 4 at hand.

Great post. I do think however that we need to look past the results because we very easily could be 5 points worse off than we currently are and if we keep performing at this level I can't see the results lasting much longer. You have to factor in the quality of the players and considering that the performances have not really been adequate even if the results are coming.

I would compare it to the situation with Anfang at Köln last season. They won the 2. liga, but with the squad they had they should have absolutely walked it. The performances didn't convince the board that they will push on under him in the BL and he was fired. I think the parallel's to Emery's situation are clear, and even if we end up getting CL comfortably I think the board needs to consider if Emery is the right guy to push us forward in the CL. I suspect not but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Great post. I do think however that we need to look past the results because we very easily could be 5 points worse off than we currently are and if we keep performing at this level I can't see the results lasting much longer. You have to factor in the quality of the players and considering that the performances have not really been adequate even if the results are coming.

I would compare it to the situation with Anfang at Köln last season. They won the 2. liga, but with the squad they had they should have absolutely walked it. The performances didn't convince the board that they will push on under him in the BL and he was fired. I think the parallel's to Emery's situation are clear, and even if we end up getting CL comfortably I think the board needs to consider if Emery is the right guy to push us forward in the CL. I suspect not but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Oh mate, yeah, Cologne and Anfang is the perfect example actually. I remember I brought that up as a comparison last season, but completely forgot about it by now.

Funnily, a lot of the Stuttgart fans are in a similar situation now, as they think this squad is by far the strongest in the league and we haven't won every single game. But again, it's context time. 19 players have left, 20 have come in. The coach has changed, and so did the Sporting Director and the Technical Director. Completely new setup. The president has been made to sign off, too. The new coaches style is 100% contrary to anything played here in the last 10 years. Complete turnover. Though: Sitting 2nd in the league on same points with HSV and you can clearly see what's at work here, although it might not be perfect yet after (just!) about 3.5 months. That's a situation calling for patience, still some people want the coach's head. Contrast to here is that almost 1.5 years into the new manager you can't see **** on the pitch and people still want to give him time beyond this season.

Kav

Established Member
Did you happen to know that Pep & Klopp also want great work attitude and stamina from players for their tactics to work? It doesn't have to be either or.
I agree which is why I said that it would be good if Emery valued both flair and hard work and not just work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom