• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah I don't expect miracles but let's use all available resources to get top 4. ffs sick of watching Sun?mon games and the bloody Europa league group qualifiers . Only good thing about it is Saka and Martinelli
I have league bowls on Saturdays so it suits me but I still want what is best for AFC

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Think it’s nothing more than Unai wanting Özil to run around like an headless chicken, endlessly track back, press etc.
my thoughts too - Özil just doesn't show the characteristics Emery expects and wants to see, and if Özil is truly trying to adapt then Emery needs to adjust his expectations too

no use either side taking up entrenched positions, but it probably doesn't help that Raul and Edu are more likely to take the Latino view of what constitutes a good player too, if such a thing does exist

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I actually think Xhaka is our best midfielder in form :lol: but his passing has dropped alarmingly in volume and productivity and he has completely ballsed up some easy through balls . It's alarming .
I Xhaka’s thread I left a lot of stats of why is our midfield so bad with him. Basically he contributes nothing... he doesn’t tackle or intercept any ball. He has 0.9 key passes per game if I remember well... and he doesn’t do through balls.

He has 2 tackles and 0.5 interceptions per game. So he doesn’t protect but he doesn’t distribute in an offensive way either. He is a passenger.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

No mate , that's all well and good in an ideal world and school sports . But when livelihood are concerned what they care about is what you can do on the pitch first and foremost . All very well to be the hardest trainer but if you're mediocre on matchday people aren't going to be understanding for very long .

Interesting you bring up Granit (who I have a lot of time for )because he has steadily gotten worse this season . His pass rate has dropped steadily to the point we might as well play Coquelin . If this keep up he won't be in the team in 2 months hardest trainer or not .

Özil has not been very good this season. Other players like Willock have been as good as him from what I have seen.

Do you have stats somewhere for Xhaka? Someone said WhoScored tells nothing. I'm not a fan of him, just showing a reason why he still starts after one mistake this season.

The point that I made still clearly stands. A sulking player on the bench is not good option if you have quite similar performing player to put there instead.

drippin

it probably doesn't help that Raul and Edu are more likely to take the Latino view of what constitutes a good player too, if such a thing does exist

So you think Latinos don't appreciate technical players like Özil? Brazilians and Spaniards? Did I understand what you mean? I think you're totally wrong.

Last edited:

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
So you think Latinos don't appreciate technical players like Özil? Brazilians and Spaniards? Did I understand what you mean? I think you're totally wrong.
I did add 'if there is such a thing' but you must have missed that

I was talking more about appearance than skills - a lot of people have misinterpreted Özil's languid style, and think he is sulking on the bench, as you put it - Emery's constant refrain of work, work and more work may make him a bit inclined to an overly narrow vision when it comes to training

but I won't argue with you - you are judging by different criteria than me - I honestly don't know much about the technical side of footbal, but I'm pretty sure I know more about what makes people tick than a lot of posters on here

drippin

I did add 'if there is such a thing' but you must have missed that

I was talking more about appearance than skills - a lot of people have misinterpreted Özil's languid style, and think he is sulking on the bench, as you put it - Emery's constant refrain of work, work and more work may make him a bit inclined to an overly narrow vision when it comes to training

but I won't argue with you - you are judging by different criteria than me - I honestly don't know much about the technical side of footbal, but I'm pretty sure I know more about what makes people tick than a lot of posters on here

Well there isn't such a thing in the way you think in my opinion. That's why I said I think you're totally wrong. Having looked at Spain (Raul, Emery) & Brazil (Edu) national teams for many years it's pretty obvious they love technical players like Özil. It's very weird to see such a suggestion in a football forum.

I'm not saying I think he is sulking. I'm saying it's very possible reason why he isn't even on the bench, based on training (what Emery said) and earlier experiences in matches.

I haven't seen or heard 24/7 what he does on the bench currently or when things don't go like he would want to as a self-proclaimed perfectionist.

Maybe he is like Auba seems to be, laughing and cheering, who knows. Although I doubt it. People are different of course, but it's not hard to guess what happens if a (currently) former top player and perfectionist doesn't get game time like he would want to.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

my thoughts too - Özil just doesn't show the characteristics Emery expects and wants to see, and if Özil is truly trying to adapt then Emery needs to adjust his expectations too

no use either side taking up entrenched positions, but it probably doesn't help that Raul and Edu are more likely to take the Latino view of what constitutes a good player too, if such a thing does exist
Emery is the manager he should not lower his expectations. Just the same as Pep did not adjust his expectations for Aguero. It would be a very bad example to bring a player who is below whatever bench mark you've set. How do the other players respond to that? It's okay for Mesut then its okay for us. Setting the example that nobody is allowed to coast below expectations keeps standards high.

Is Emerys methodology the best and is it getting the best performances and results is a different matter.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Emery is the manager he should not lower his expectations. Just the same as Pep did not adjust his expectations for Aguero. It would be a very bad example to bring a player who is below whatever bench mark you've set. How do the other players respond to that? It's okay for Mesut then its okay for us. Setting the example that nobody is allowed to coast below expectations keeps standards high.

Is Emerys methodology the best and is it getting the best performances and results is a different matter.
I'm not sure 'adjust' is synonymous with 'lower' - but I'm through arguing with people who don't want Emery and Özil to make it work for the good of the team - they are not enemies, and should be on the same side, but it seems some posters are enjoying this sham war

say yes

forum master baiter

Spot on as usual.

drippin

I'm not sure 'adjust' is synonymous with 'lower' - but I'm through arguing with people who don't want Emery and Özil to make it work for the good of the team - they are not enemies, and should be on the same side, but it seems some posters are enjoying this sham war

But they both are on the same side, on the side of Arsenal. Emery said it looks like Özil is close to featuring more. Özil said he respects Emery and works hard.

I want the Özil back I have seen for many years, and still have hope he can make a comeback. Those skills just don't disappear, he only just turned 31.

I just don't like when people use Özil situation as a weapon against Emery, when many things suggest things have been quite reasonable and can be understood in a wider context. Emery can be criticized in a lot better ways.

Kav

Established Member
Özil has not been very good this season. Other players like Willock have been as good as him from what I have seen.

Do you have stats somewhere for Xhaka? Someone said WhoScored tells nothing. I'm not a fan of him, just showing a reason why he still starts after one mistake this season.

The point that I made still clearly stands. A sulking player on the bench is not good option if you have quite similar performing player to put there instead.
How many games has Özil played for you to come to that conclusion that he’s not been very good? Mind you I’m not disagreeing with the qualitative assertion but rather the substance of the claim within the context of sample size.

Also on another note, why does this thread have so many pages and the man has barely kicked a ball all season?

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Also on another note, why does this thread have so many pages and the man has barely kicked a ball all season?

Mainly because it’s full of posts from people demanding he play as he is our only creative outlet and also declaring if he started the last game we would have won 10-0 and furthermore Emery is Mephistopheles/Lord Of The Underworld/Satan/The Father Of Lies

GDeep™

League is very weak
Mainly because it’s full of posts from people demanding he play as he is our only creative outlet and also declaring if he started the last game we would have won 10-0 and furthermore Emery is Mephistopheles/Lord Of The Underworld/Satan/The Father Of Lies
Hardly, it’s mainly people complaining about his wages, him still being here, not training hard enough, not having the right attitude etc.

Post anything positive about him and people pull their knives out. Turned very weird on here.

Stuff about him paying off coaches, people bashing him for getting away from those attackers and not staying and fighting, can’t seem to do anything without being criticised.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Mate :lol: You must be one of the most frequent posters on this thread . Most times I log in in the morning it's frequently your name that's bumped the Özil thread . In fact I'd say the people that don't like Özil tend to be here more than those that do .

No one has to take my word for it , just have to look through the thread . ;)

Iceman10

Established Member

Yep. Earlier I said the door had never been closed on Özil, but that is contingent on Özil meeting the demands of what Emery wants from him, and now Özil has accepted he has to work hard to earn his place we should assume he is sincere and that is what he will do. This interview was good and classy, but all it did was keep the door open instead of closing it, which is what would have happened if he had decided to go down the route of lashing out against the manager.

Iceman10

Established Member

Obviously because he has been available for starts but the manager has not had him in matchday squads and has stated in press conferences this is because other players had moved ahead of Özil for consideration. Then we had Per's comments, and then recently Raul's (and now Özil himself).

I would say though if we had Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, or certain other managers at the club and they had done the same as Emery over the last few weeks many here would have just accepted the man-management, some probably would even have cheered it, going by apathy and hostility towards Özil here at A-M over the summer (which miraculously has changed over the last few weeks for reasons we all know by now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom