• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

How many games has Özil played for you to come to that conclusion that he’s not been very good? Mind you I’m not disagreeing with the qualitative assertion but rather the substance of the claim within the context of sample size.

Those games he has played. I think other players for same positions have been quite similar performers.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Those games he has played. I think other players for same positions have been quite similar performers.
I disagree. We've seen very up and down performances in that position and actually Özil has been the least erratic of the lot. As I mentioned before, not brilliant but not crap either. Given that he has seen limited time one could argue he hasn't had time to grow into the season at all. Almost as if the manager is keeping him from getting up to date in terms of match fitness so he can point out and say "Look, Özil isn't match fit and it's just about November"

TBF< it would be "Gud ebening, Özil dsjdsfnjha njhsbdhsbadhl, November, JSJhksjnbfk fitness"

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Mate :lol: You must be one of the most frequent posters on this thread . Most times I log in in the morning it's frequently your name that's bumped the Özil thread . In fact I'd say the people that don't like Özil tend to be here more than those that do .

No one has to take my word for it , just have to look through the thread . ;)

Didn’t take your word for it famblud. Looked through the thread. I have 9 (quality) posts in the last 200. :lol::lol::lol:

scytheavatar

Established Member
How many games has Özil played for you to come to that conclusion that he’s not been very good? Mind you I’m not disagreeing with the qualitative assertion but rather the substance of the claim within the context of sample size.

Also on another note, why does this thread have so many pages and the man has barely kicked a ball all season?

Özil has played plenty of games last season where he's "not been very good"......... no one in his right mind can say Özil hasn't been given enough chances to prove himself. It is not clear to me why Özil deserve praises for just creating a few chances every match, we know he's capable of doing that. We need him to do more than that and unfortunately there's little evidence he sees the need to step up and evolve as a player.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Özil has played plenty of games last season where he's "not been very good"......... .
There isn't a player alive who hasn't had a bad season. Özil has been very underwhelming in his time here, on that we agree, but just writing the player off when others in the position haven't exactly set the world alight is a bit silly methinks.

drippin

I disagree. We've seen very up and down performances in that position and actually Özil has been the least erratic of the lot. As I mentioned before, not brilliant but not crap either. Given that he has seen limited time one could argue he hasn't had time to grow into the season at all. Almost as if the manager is keeping him from getting up to date in terms of match fitness so he can point out and say "Look, Özil isn't match fit and it's just about November"

TBF< it would be "Gud ebening, Özil dsjdsfnjha njhsbdhsbadhl, November, JSJhksjnbfk fitness"

I didn't say he has been crap either. In my view Willock and Ceballos have put out similar performances as Özil. Ceballos **** against Liverpool, but was it Burnley match MotM that evens it out.

From the one EPL game Özil seems to have 0 defensive stats, like tackles or interceptions etc.

Anyway my point still stands that likely an unhappy perfectionist who has been used to play no matter what, is not as good option for the bench as someone like Willock who is very eager to show what he's got.

This when both players output is pretty similar and other one is 10 years younger Hale End bloke.

I'm really not fond of that kind of conspiracy theory when Emery has Raul's and Mertesacker's backup in this case, while it's obvious Emery cannot dismiss a star player like Özil without no basis for it. Even Özil is okay with it.

(I have repeated this many times, but things keep popping up while no one acknowledges it.)

scytheavatar

Established Member
There isn't a player alive who hasn't had a bad season. Özil has been very underwhelming in his time here, on that we agree, but just writing the player off when others in the position haven't exactly set the world alight is a bit silly methinks.

Others in the position aren't paid 350k per week......

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
After reading these latest interviews, taking everything said with a grain of salt...I’m considering the very real possibility that Mesut was severely shaken by the incidents this summer, prioritized his and his wife’s safety, ended up training poorly and out of match fitness, and is now recovering fully. I hope to see the best of him still.

drippin

After reading these latest interviews, taking everything said with a grain of salt...I’m considering the very real possibility that Mesut was severely shaken by the incidents this summer, prioritized his and his wife’s safety, ended up training poorly and out of match fitness, and is now recovering fully. I hope to see the best of him still.

You suggest he is not a superman who can remain totally unaffected after a life-threatening incident towards him and his wife?

It happened just before the season start, and it has been two months now. This is why the fitness thing can affect, even if he came to train early this season.

So I hope and even believe the same, that he can make a good comeback still. From Emery's comments it seems things are looking a lot better.

I'm wondering a bit why the hell didn't Özil hit the moped guy with his car. I would have hit him to get out, it's self defence. Who cares about a robber's broken leg or other injury.

scytheavatar

Established Member
His salary isn't a reflection of his current form, rather his form when he signed the contract, and the situation the club were in that they had to bend over backwards to accomodate him.

Irrelevant, all that should matter is that right now not getting 350k per week of performance out of Özil is a millstone around our neck that's dragging us down. We simply cannot afford to waste a big chunk of wages on an underperforming player, if Özil can't make himself good enough to justify his wages then we need to get rid of him by hook or by crook. We can invest his wages on someone like Willock or Ceballos who while not as good as Özil right now has the potential to surpass him with time.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Irrelevant, all that should matter is that right now not getting 350k per week of performance out of Özil is a millstone around our neck that's dragging us down. We simply cannot afford to waste a big chunk of wages on an underperforming player, if Özil can't make himself good enough to justify his wages then we need to get rid of him by hook or by crook. We can invest his wages on someone like Willock or Ceballos who while not as good as Özil right now has the potential to surpass him with time.
His salary is irrelevant, its a sunk cost. There's a good player in there and we should make use of him if we can.

Top player. Hope he doesn't give a single penny back to the club.

Just focus on your swing and have nice time on 350k per week playing golf!

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

But they both are on the same side, on the side of Arsenal. Emery said it looks like Özil is close to featuring more. Özil said he respects Emery and works hard.

I want the Özil back I have seen for many years, and still have hope he can make a comeback. Those skills just don't disappear, he only just turned 31.

I just don't like when people use Özil situation as a weapon against Emery, when many things suggest things have been quite reasonable and can be understood in a wider context. Emery can be criticized in a lot better ways.
I'd like to think we are all on the side of Arsenal but surely recognise the reality of the situation. If Arsenal under perform Özil wont get sacked Emery might he has to ensure he gets it right in his mind. The players have to meet his standard

It's not about like or dislike but ultimately understanding Emery calls the shots no matter how much we may agree or disagree, and I'm sure there are more than not we disagree with I.e. Xhaka.

Divided_Pie

I'd like to think we are all on the side of Arsenal but surely recognise the reality of the situation. If Arsenal under perform Özil wont get sacked Emery might he has to ensure he gets it right in his mind. The players have to meet his standard

It's not about like or dislike but ultimately understanding Emery calls the shots no matter how much we may agree or disagree, and I'm sure there are more than not we disagree with I.e. Xhaka.
Emery doesn’t call the shots, according to this thread. Raul, Edu, Josh, etc have given him a directive to freeze Özil out, because surely Emery wouldn’t make this decision in isolation. Also, Emery didn’t choose Xhaka as his captain, the players did. So don’t blame Emery for that either.

drippin

Emery doesn’t call the shots, according to this thread. Raul, Edu, Josh, etc have given him a directive to freeze Özil out, because surely Emery wouldn’t make this decision in isolation. Also, Emery didn’t choose Xhaka as his captain, the players did. So don’t blame Emery for that either.

Who has said that? :)

Emery doesn't get the final call on transfers in my opinion, and he has bosses. The management group call the shots together, with everyone having their own special area. Emery is responsible for football results close to the team. Because of that decides the most who plays, tactics etc.

Does this sound correct? It's part of how I currently view it.

Token Yank

Özil has played plenty of games last season where he's "not been very good"......... no one in his right mind can say Özil hasn't been given enough chances to prove himself. It is not clear to me why Özil deserve praises for just creating a few chances every match, we know he's capable of doing that. We need him to do more than that and unfortunately there's little evidence he sees the need to step up and evolve as a player.
He also had games last year where he was dominate and/or delivered the one spectacular moment that won us the match. On a team that struggles to create chances and leaks goals for fun anyway, he should be starting every game. His offensive output/potential is worth the defensive short comings. Also he is a 10. Meanwhile the Spanish Tony Pullis persists with a 6 who can’t defend and also gifts the other team goals. Actually, he not only persists with him, he named him his captain. Our tactics now are playing a midget DM as a 10, hitting speculative long balls to Auba, and having an isolated Pepe try to dribble past 3 guys. Meanwhile, Mr Anti Football hard ass, Mourinho names Özil to his all time 11 and supposedly Simone was interested in signing Özil last January. Emery is the problem. He is a *****. I will stand by Özil.

Token Yank

when/where was this?
Saw it a couple years back. Will try to track down.

Was probably drunk at the time I first read this. It’s not him naming his all time team but what the journo’s think his all time team is. It still mentions a quote that Özil was the best 10 he has ever worked with (I doubt Lingard will change that opinion).

https://metro.co.uk/2016/05/24/jose...mesut-Özil-alongside-chelsea-legends-5901157/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom