• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Sheffield United vs Arsenal | Monday 21st October | KO: 20:00 | Sky Sports

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

bielsa is doing this since early 2000
nothing new.
yet o dont take merit away from wilder, quality coach.

the game was afwul, we need to stick to emery till we get cl then bin him. our football is now disgusting but it can get us good results. we are 5 and we only lose what? 3 games since the season started.
this is about getting results, we are on the right path.

once we get cl football we can think about a manager that is not this pragmatic.

Yeah there’s nothing new under the sun in terms of tactics but it’s the ridiculous levels of success he’s had that have won me over.

Bielsa god bless him has done amazing work but you never know what you’ll get with him from job to job, might be there six months or even less.

Wilder has had consistently exceeded expectations everywhere he’s been.

Manberg

Predator
Xhaka coming off didn't change anything at all. We often point fingers at players x, y and z but it's Emery's system that's the biggest problem.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
A number 10 can receive the ball in a variety of ways. Regardless of how they receive it they need to link midfield and attack which I think we can all safely say is not happening. The ball goes up and rarely sticks.

If we dont trust our other 10 to play on the half turn get a 10 in who can play back to goal, hold it up, lay off and pick up a new position. Firminho does this for Liverpool he plays as a half 9 half 10.

We could get rid of the ten and play a flat 3 midfield and put a front three of Aubameyang Lacazette Pepe out or try Lacazette in the ten and have Aubameyang through the middle with Saka or another out wide.

I’ve been calling for us to ditch then 10 role but it doesn’t have to be a flat 3 in midfield.

There are players like De Bruyne, Gundogan and Silva who play in CM positions but have enough guile and creativity to negate the need for a pure 10.

Even the Real team that won 4 CLs in 5 seasons had Kroos, Modric and Casemiro. No CAM but Benzema playing like a false 9 (drifting deep and wide to drag defenders away for Ronaldo) and Modric/Kroos playing high quality 1 touch passes.

Every time I see Xhaka and Douzi take 3/4 touches before playing a sideways pass my heart sinks.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka coming off didn't change anything at all. We often point fingers at players x, y and z but it's Emery's system that's the biggest problem.

It’s both. Several players aren’t good enough and those who are, aren’t being played to their strengths

MikeVinna

Established Member
So yeah I ended up tuning in for this match anyway even though I told myself I’d skip it when I saw our line-up. I really wish I had skipped it because I’d be feeling a lot more positive today if I had. Anyway..

It’s our play through the middle thats extremely lacking. No one that can find that space in the middle and drift between the lines. Well we have someone but he’s sitting at home week in week out collecting 350k a week and no one knows why.

I imagine our fullbacks are extremely irritated that every single play goes through them. Chambers was visibly frustrated at the end of the match because of every single ball from the back being played his way. We just switch it from side to side expecting our damn fullbacks to dictate our attacks. Its absolutely ludicrous the way we’re set up.

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed

That was partly because he took our most dangerous player off and kept Saka on, also we still had jokers like Kola on the pitch.

We least we were starting to look like we had control of midfield.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Well last night was a downer but crucially, so many had no expectation that we would win. That attitude vs a top side or a rough team, but a newly promoted team? That's our real level now. No expectation. We haven't progressed and getting our first choice FB's back won't make a difference. Emery shouldn't have a lot of time left.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I’ve been calling for us to ditch then 10 role but it doesn’t have to be a flat 3 in midfield.

There are players like De Bruyne, Gundogan and Silva who play in CM positions but have enough guile and creativity to negate the need for a pure 10.

Even the Real team that won 4 CLs in 5 seasons had Kroos, Modric and Casemiro. No CAM but Benzema playing like a false 9 (drifting deep and wide to drag defenders away for Ronaldo) and Modric/Kroos playing high quality 1 touch passes.

Every time I see Xhaka and Douzi take 3/4 touches before playing a sideways pass my heart sinks.
Said it a few times myself the number 10 role is dead for now. Athleticism and technique are the current kings.

Offensive and defensive phases switch more between 2143/343 to 433/451. To make those adjustments you need athleticism across the board.

But we still insist on using a 10. So if we are to use it my preferred player would be Lacazette for the reasons stated. He can hold the ball up feed it out wide or recycle allowing the team to squeeze further up or simply turn and have a dig.

A really interesting book is reinventing the pyramid. Have a read and see how teams lined up 100 years ago. Teams lined up in 235 / 1234 its fascinating but in reality it's how a lot of teams end up near playing now. City for example regularly play a 2332 which when you see it is practically a 235 given how close the 3 and 2 are together.

Wryer

We can try all sorts of formations and still we won't find one that will make us tick. Put it this way - you put Man City in any shape - and they will tick, bar that one or two bad days.

End of the day, our players are poorly coached, slow to react and basically naive. That renders any tactical strategy moot. Not all players are that bad, but we are only as strong as the weakest link. And unfortunately, we have way more than one weakest link - so it's not just about replacing anyone one in particular.

God save us.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We can try all sorts of formations and still we won't find one that will make us tick. Put it this way - you put Man City in any shape - and they will tick, bar that one or two bad days.

End of the day, our players are poorly coached, slow to react and basically naive. That renders any tactical strategy moot. Not all players are that bad, but we are only as strong as the weakest link. And unfortunately, we have way more than one weakest link - so it's not just about replacing anyone one in particular.

God save us.
I don't agree with this at all. You're suggesting we don't have good enough players to beat Watford and Sheffield?
It isn't the calibre of players we have that is letting us down it is the fact that we have a clueless man leading them and picking the team each week.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

I don't agree with this at all. You're suggesting we don't have good enough players to beat Watford and Sheffield?
It isn't the calibre of players we have that is letting us down it is the fact that we have a clueless man leading them and picking the team each week.
Some of those youngsters like Willock and Guendouzi may be talented but often they're up against seasoned pros in the lower teams who know the prem inside out, and they sometimes come up short. You can't deny that watching the match. Willock hardly seem to touch the ball against Sheffield. Meanwhile Chambers and Kola looked like Championship quality.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Some of those youngsters like Willock and Guendouzi may be talented but often they're up against seasoned pros in the lower teams who know the prem inside out, and they sometimes come up short. You can't deny that watching the match. Willock hardly seem to touch the ball against Sheffield. Meanwhile Chambers and Kola looked like Championship quality.
Come on Trax, this is an absolute strawman. We've watched youngsters from Arsenal cane seasoned pros many times before. It isn;t about the players, the manager hasn't got a clue here. We have a much better squad than either Watford or Sheffield. Willock and Guendouzi are two players on the field.

Wryer

We basically agree - the players are poorly coached.

However I add further that some players we have are not up to mark - whether that is purely just coaching or sheer quality is up for endless debate. Attributes wise - we are shockingly naive. We don't have enough intelligent players. And yes, there are Sheffield and Watford players that are smarter than our players. Without this game intelligence, you can forget about applying the technique, pace, and passing that we are supposedly better than those teams. I say Man C players can play any formation and make it work, not just because they are better players, they are simply smarter players. Again, Is that acquired through coaching or innate? I'll not get into that endless debate.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I say Man C players can play any formation and make it work, not just because they are better players, they are simply smarter players. Again, Is that acquired through coaching or innate? I'll not get into that endless debate.
Pure speculation so not sure how you feel you can ask a sincere question off of it..

We basically agree - the players are poorly coached.
We do but I am not agreeing with the part that Watford and Sheffield have 'more intelligent players' than we do they simply have better systems..

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Pure speculation so not sure how you feel you can ask a sincere question off of it..

We do but I am not agreeing with the part that Watford and Sheffield have 'more intelligent players' than we do they simply have better systems..
Think we can agree it's a combination. Kola and Chambers were woeful against Sheffield and whilst Xhaka, Luiz and Sokratis are capable of quality stuff they are also rash and just as capable of throwing games away with free kicks and penalties. Pep wouldn't have them for sure.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Think we can agree it's a combination. Kola and Chambers were woeful against Sheffield and whilst Xhaka, Luiz and Sokratis are capable of quality stuff they are also rash and just as capable of throwing games away with free kicks and penalties. Pep wouldn't have them for sure.
Great comment but if you think back to the game in question which individual error comes to mind that cost us this game? None of Luiz, Sokratis, Xhaka, Kola or chambers were the reason we lost this game. The way we were set up, the way we approached the game and the way we reacted to it is all down to the manager...
Pep not wanting them is another strawman because the notion posed here was that City's players could play any formation regardless because they're that bloody brilliant. Whether Pep would take our players is absolutely irrelevant in that hypothetical because Pep has a set way of playing...

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Great comment but if you think back to the game in question which individual error comes to mind that cost us this game? None of Luiz, Sokratis, Xhaka, Kola or chambers were the reason we lost this game. The way we were set up, the way we approached the game and the way we reacted to it is all down to the manager...
Pep not wanting them is another strawman because the notion posed here was that City's players could play any formation regardless because they're that bloody brilliant. Whether Pep would take our players is absolutely irrelevant in that hypothetical because Pep has a set way of playing...
No-one was marking Jack O’Connell as he reached the ball beyond the far post, and for some reason Lys Mousset was allowed to stand on his own next to Leno - who had no chance. Should the manager be telling them who to mark at every point?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
No-one was marking Jack O’Connell as he reached the ball beyond the far post, and for some reason Lys Mousset was allowed to stand on his own next to Leno - who had no chance. Should the manager be telling them who to mark at every point?
Fair enough but if the manager can't enforce a system that creates chances against sheffield then we're screwed no matter who we play with or who we're up against...

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Trax, I also have to point out that we faced far too many corners against a side which was allowed (as is usual with Unai's formation and tactics) to build pressure deep in our half from OUR ridiculously slow version of playing it out the back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom