• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
The guy makes 3-4 fouls a game by the way. Even when he is 'playing decent'. It was no different today, he missed at least one yellow card.

I don't understand how anyone (Wenger, Emery) can look at him and assume he is ready for the PL. I see a player who is 2-3 levels slower than this league, it's not his fault, but he obviously will never adapt if he hasn't done it yet.

It was initially a good decision to keep him in the squad but he should have been slowly eased out, only playing in games which are expected to be lower-paced, and eventually selling him. Not this captain bullshit.

HBL

Established Member
The amount of abuse him and Mustafi in particular have received since joining the club is disgrace. You have no idea what sort of impact that could have on people, the reaction to being subbed was wrong but I can certainly sympathise with him from a human perspective. Xhaka didn't ask to be captain, doesn't ask to start every week but now he is just being thrown under the bus and is a massive scapegoat. There have been far worse performances from some players and more importantly the coaches this season. Truly hope he can turn his career around here.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
They'll always back each other. Cheering a sub like that is really poor form, but it was a horrendous reaction from Xhaka regardless.

Emery created that situation by subbing him though, Saka was never going to change the game either.

I agree with this:

This has been bubbling for ages now and I don't blame him for giving back..

Feels like it's reached the point of no return now though, he should be sold in january..

arsmile

Established Member
xhaka comes out looking bad
the fans come out looking bad

but it's emery's fault...he manufactured that situation

the club is toxic with his stupid bullshit

HBL

Established Member
I agree with this:

Feels like it's reached the point of no return now though, he should be sold in january..
He shouldn't be sold in January. We should appoint a new coach, let him assess the situation and then decide what we do.

Eduardo_da_Silva

He is payed to play for AFC and fans have every right to express their opinion. If they applaude him or if they boo him they bought the ticket and payed alot sobthey can do exactky that. His reaction shows why he should not be a captain and all that **** about his elite mentality has nothing to do with reality. His time at Arsenal has passed and just like with Mustafi there is no way back.

blaze_of_glory

I agree with this:

Agreed he has been treating like crap by the fans. Yeah he's got problems, but look at how Liverpool fans treat Henderson, he's not really that great but they have always supported him. Though Henderson's also been managed a lot better of course so that this situation doesn't develop.

But I do think it's still a bad reaction as captain. Understandable but still shouldn't happen.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Our fan reaction was bad and classless. But so was Xhaka's reaction. In fact, Xhaka's reaction shows why the situation reached this point. Fan hatred to some of their own players is there in every club. But after a point, the players normally accept it and try to improve or leave the club before things get worse. Both Xhaka and Mustafi have one thing in common. They don't seem to accept their mistakes and showed signs of arrogance on all their interviews.
We have had players like Elneny, Flamini, Lichtsteiner etc. Have you ever seen our fans boo them like this? They knew the level of their game. They never gave interviews blaming others. Also, managers dropped them when they were poor. In Xhaka's case, it is both his own attitude and Emery's stupidity that brought it down to this level.
Anyway, there is no looking back now. He should be sold in January.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Never thought our club will come down to this level. :( what a disaster.

Just pass on the arm band and move on man. Express your thoughts about the sub to your manager later. Not in middle of the match.

But the bigger problem is Unai Emery. He is singlehandedly destroying us.

carlito'sway

Established Member
The amount of abuse him and Mustafi in particular have received since joining the club is disgrace. You have no idea what sort of impact that could have on people, the reaction to being subbed was wrong but I can certainly sympathise with him from a human perspective. Xhaka didn't ask to be captain, doesn't ask to start every week but now he is just being thrown under the bus and is a massive scapegoat. There have been far worse performances from some players and more importantly the coaches this season. Truly hope he can turn his career around here.

I wish Xhaka had kept his cool today but the treatment he got from the fans was nothing less than disgraceful and embarrassing. The dude is the club captain, ffs! The f*** state of Arsenal Football club......:facepalm:

ChefMan21

Ten thoughts...

1. Fans are right to be unhappy when we throw away a 2-0 lead.
  2. Perhaps their unhappiness shouldn't have been expressed by booing, but how else at this club do fans make their feelings known?
  3. I keep thinking that what we saw was raw emotion and in a way real-time politics.
  4. There's no way for the club to send out a pre-prepared response to a fan letter or press release in a situation like that. Management and coaching staff see it, shareholders see it, sponsors see it, the press sees it, other clubs see it, and other players see it.
  5. To me it speaks to a broader ambition amongst the fans from the club - we want more.
  6. He is the captain which means two things: 1) he should have some level of respect (both ways, I'll come to that in a second) and 2) at least 30 per cent of what happens on the field in those 90 minutes is his responsibility. (the other 70 per cent being shared between him, the manager, the board and shareholders, the other players, and the fans).
  7. In relation to respect, that was a really poor reaction from him when coming off. Not a good look. His reaction says to me there's a real mental weakness there - a captain should rise above, perhaps even fire up the 10 players left on the field plus sub by clapping, shouting and encouraging them to get the 3 points.
  8. Having said that, should you ever boo your captain? Hard to say, but it does make me wonder...
  9. ...why on earth you would let people pick the most popular person at the club via a players vote to be your captain and leader. Thatcher (politics) and Keane (football) always struck me as being real ****s, but real leaders too. If you're a leader, are you happy to be both a popular leader and an unpopular one?
  10. Seems to me that we are potentially at a crossroads as a club: short term in terms of the season, and long term in terms of how we handle player/club/fan relationships. Might be nothing, but could also be something.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The guy makes 3-4 fouls a game by the way. Even when he is 'playing decent'. It was no different today, he missed at least one yellow card.

I don't understand how anyone (Wenger, Emery) can look at him and assume he is ready for the PL. I see a player who is 2-3 levels slower than this league, it's not his fault, but he obviously will never adapt if he hasn't done it yet.

It was initially a good decision to keep him in the squad but he should have been slowly eased out, only playing in games which are expected to be lower-paced, and eventually selling him. Not this captain bullshit.
Hear, hear!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I agree with this:

I understand that he took too much abuse its difficult but as club captain he should have understood that he didn't need to do that

Fallout

1) some fans cheer the sub
2) he throws the armband in some player's direction, frustrated
3) a few seconds pass
4) it becomes obvious he has no intention to get off the pitch quickly
5) fans tell him to get off faster
6) he raises his arms in defiance
7) boos begin

i'm sorry but he's a baby.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
xhaka comes out looking bad
the fans come out looking bad

but it's emery's fault...he manufactured that situation

the club is toxic with his stupid bullshit
To be fair to emery he took off xhaka so we go more attacking agree about made him captain its wrong decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom