• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
the most influential manager of all time

You're ****ting us, right?:lol: Guardiola the most influential manager of all time? Come on. The overrating and omitting of football history when it comes to this guy is ludicrous. Even a contemporary like Bielsa, who has won far less than Pep, is more influential overall. Trophies don't equal influence on the sport.

Highbury

I still rate Mourinho as a manager, but appointing him shows a clear lack of planning and conviction at the board level. We were meant to be at the start of the process of a new youth project, yet at the first sign of trouble we chuck that out and get the antithesis to youth project to take over? Raul and Co. will have bottled it.

Was that really the aim? We brought the Europa League merchant on a 2 year contract with no record of developing youth. If we wanted to take that route we would have taken a punt with Arteta, a young manager with Arsenal heritage.

You can say that a club like Chelsea have embarked on a youth project, but there is nothing to suggest that we decide to take that route.

Signing a few young players is regulation stuff - every club does it. Not to forget we brought in Luiz this summer instead of trusting Saliba.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

There is no guarantee he would be a success but it is a risk I would be willing to take. I would rather take a punt on an up and coming assistant manager like Mikel than hire this toxic and noxious Mou.

We need top four badly this year though. I hate the guy as well but Mourinho has a track record of good first seasons.

Give him a short contract and let him restart his career before leaving for a top European club again.

We’d keep PEA and Lacazette, and when he’s gone use the CL money to get new guys in. If Arteta flops we’d have no Laca, no PEA and not much money.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Not buying the Mourinho comes rejuvanated stuff. That's what United fans told themselves when they signed him.

That and that he would get the best out of Pogba, etc., etc.

Maybe in 18 months time we we'll see another clarivoyant tweet from someone pointing out the obvious that we didn't wish to see because the man currently in charge is not up to it.

I have no idea why people are thinking he does well here, nothing suggests that...it looks like such a bad match up on paper.

Toby

I still rate Mourinho as a manager, but appointing him shows a clear lack of planning and conviction at the board level. We were meant to be at the start of the process of a new youth project, yet at the first sign of trouble we chuck that out and get the antithesis to youth project to take over? Raul and Co. will have bottled it.

Tbf the hiring of Emery by the last regime was the making of these problems now. The current guys are left in a reactionary position mid season.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
You're ****ting us, right?:lol: Guardiola the most influential manager of all time? Come on. The overrating and omitting of football history when it comes to this guy is ludicrous. Even a contemporary like Bielsa, who has won far less than Pep, is more influential overall. Trophies don't equal influence on the sport.

Most of all time after 2016*, mate. ;)

carlito'sway

Established Member

I love Bielsa and I may be one of his biggest fans, since his early days at Newell's, he is definitely a visionary. Having said that, I agree that Pep has been more influential the last 10 -15 years. The combination of winning trophies and managing some of the world biggest clubs can't be discounted either in that assessment. Pep is up there with the Rinus Michels or Sacchi's of the world, easily among the top 5 most influential ones ever.

Highbury

I said arguably. There are a lot of factors in Pep’s favor as opposed to someone like Bielsa who is somehow a genius who cannot win.

When you consider the impact Pep has had on the game in just 11 years, it is difficult to look past him.

carlito'sway

Established Member
We need top four badly this year though. I hate the guy as well but Mourinho has a track record of good first seasons.

Give him a short contract and let him restart his career before leaving for a top European club again.

We’d keep PEA and Lacazette, and when he’s gone use the CL money to get new guys in. If Arteta flops we’d have no Laca, no PEA and not much money.

If we think that our fanbase is divided, I would hate to see how it is like after a season or two with Mou and his toxicity. Heck, I would give Emery an extension rather than have this ****. F**** him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Saw a lot of these objections on principal when I first joined AM and we were linked to Suárez, people saying they wouldn’t watch the games if we signed him. Look how that turned out.

Think it’s a similar thing this time round, guy’s a ***** but I’d still rather Jose than Ole Gunnar Arteta.

Toby

I love Bielsa and I may be one of his biggest fans, since his early days at Newell's, he is definitely a visionary. Having said that, I agree that Pep has been more influential the last 10 -15 years. The combination of winning trophies and managing some of the world biggest clubs can't be discounted either in that assessment.

Nah, don't agree with that. Trophies don't count for me in terms of influence. And Pep's basically been working under laboratory conditions everywhere he went which gives him that extra plus. He's been influential, but I don't think he's the most influential among his contemporaries and sincerely not of all time.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He wouldn’t win the Premier League or Champions League here anyway, but if he did he would definitely make snide remarks about Arsène...just the thought of that, uhhh, no...

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Any manager with a Klopp type personality?Feel we need that type of person that can come in and be the link between fans and players.

Many fans seem totally disconnected from the players and I’m sure most of our players seem playing as just another pay cheque rather than pride.

Last edited:

Toby

I said arguably. There are a lot of factors in Pep’s favor as opposed to someone like Bielsa who is somehow a genius who cannot win.

When you consider the impact Pep has had on the game in just 11 years, it is difficult to look past him.

Impact in terms of winning stuff, yes, impact in terms of football? He's had more impact on how people try to play against him than inspire a distinct brand modelled on his approach. And Pep's really not that innovative when you got a bit of an overlook of what came before; he's a great recycler.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Nah, don't agree with that. Trophies don't count for me in terms of influence. And Pep's basically been working under laboratory conditions everywhere he went which gives him that extra plus. He's been influential, but I don't think he's the most influential among his contemporaries and sincerely not of all time.

We can agree to disagree. I updated my post....For my money, Pep is easily top 5 with the likes of Michels or Sacchi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom