• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
There no progress we got worse than last season at this stage last season we had better points the performance was better the away form was improving not this season

Last season is not even comparable to this one. At the same stage we only lost two games, our first two against City and Chelsea, winning 5 and drawing 3, one of which was against Liverpool. We didn't concede crazy amounts of shots too. All that while we had much inferior squad and being Emery's first season.

There seemed to be some progress last season, whoever small. This season there is nothing you can hang any hope on it.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
If Ornsteins information is correct, and there is no reason to believe that it isnt, we now know that Edu isnt good enough to be our technical director. He is one of Emerys friends since 2008.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Look at this run of fixtures, things are gonna get really really ugly. There's no chance that we're playing better by the time these games come around and even if we put in some good performances we'll not have the consistency to put a bunch of win together. We'll drop so many points. It's unbelievable.
I actually can't see us getting more than 4 points from that run.

kenshinSG

Can someone please ban that teamsoutheast? He is saying that we need to give Emery 3 seasons to get the team right. Are you Unai in disguise? Disgusted by such blind support Nothing suggests that giving Emery more time will work. Please ban that fraud and Emery needs to go to another team at his lower level

CJJ

Established Member
Its likely that none of the "big" managers are willing to join mid-season and i reckon the board is thinking to themselves that Emery is better than Ljungberg... i think we're stuck with this geezer for some more time guys. I'm not holding my breath.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Joining mid season is good I think, you get a free run for a few months because you’re taking the other managers problems.

Let’s you try and change the culture a little, then you get pre season and the summer window to prepare for the next season.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
One of our biggest weakness for many years was the almost suicidal high defensive line we used to play. Nearly every goal we conceded was by someone sprinting past our defence, walking on to a through ball. When Emery took over he still kept that. I specifically remember Chelsea having a field day exploiting that weakness just in our second game last season. I think 2 of their goals came that way. We have gradually dropped our line further back. Which I was initially very happy about.

This season I have noticed we have gone to the extreme other end, our defensive line is so deep our defenders are practically stepping on our goalkeeper's toes. Defenders shouldn't really be that close to the goal unless it is on a set piece. Look at both Leicester's goals for example, from open play, our defenders are so deep. It allows Barnes to touch the ball inside our penalty area, he flicks it to Tielemans who is also inside the area. He passes to Vardy who is even beyond the penalty spot. 2nd goal Vardy receives again the ball inside the area, he lays it back to Maddison. This is another reason why our defenders haven't got a hope in hell to look half decent. Everything they do in this situation will need to be desperate because the opponents are so close to goal with almost unlimited possibilities.

It also explains why our midfield is so easily overran. The midfield is still tasked with connecting to the attack. They cant just sit in front of the defence. What happens is they keep running endlessly both ways, failing miserably at both tasks. The whole team is a mess, resulting in being inefficient in defence while neglecting the attack.

Still perplexing why Emery keeps insisting in this extreme low block defensive line when it is clearly not working.

Last edited:

GunnerShy

We need a midfield. I think we will have to buy a whole new midfield. 3x £60m midfielders. Offset a little bit by shifting Xhaka and Torreira. Probably two next season and one the following.

blrgooner

Established Member
One of our biggest weakness for many years was the almost suicidal high defensive line we used to play. Nearly every goal we conceded was by someone sprinting past our defence, walking on to a through ball. When Emery took over he still kept that. I specifically remember Chelsea having a field day exploiting that weakness just in our second game last season. I think 2 of their goals came that way. We have gradually dropped our line further back. Which I was initially very happy about.

This season I have noticed we have gone to the extreme other end, our defensive line is so deep our defenders are practically stepping on our goalkeeper's toes. Defenders shouldn't really be that close to the goal unless it is on a set piece. Look at both Leicester's goals for example, from open play, our defenders are so deep. It allows Barnes to touch the ball inside our penalty area, he flicks it to Tielemans who is also inside the area. He passes to Vardy who is even beyond the penalty spot. 2nd goal Vardy receives again the ball inside the area, he lays it back to Maddison. This is another reason why our defenders haven't got a hope in hell to look half decent. Everything they do in this situation will need to be desperate because the opponents are so close to goal with almost unlimited possibilities.

It also explains why our midfield is so easily overran. The midfield is still tasked with connecting to the attack. They cant just sit in front of the defence. What happens is they keep running endlessly both ways, failing miserably at both tasks. The whole team is a mess, resulting in being inefficient in defence while neglecting the attack.

Still perplexing why Emery keeps insisting in this extreme low block defensive line when it is clearly not working.
Great post. I think you have hit the nail on the head here. That is why playing a high line is not necessarily bad and was just an easy point for pundits to pick up for criticism.
That is also the reason why I think the system and the coach is more to be blamed than players(including defenders). We just don`t have players to play a deep defensive line with quick counter attacking. Its painfully obvious to see that. Why we are not moving to a higher defensive line is baffling for me it may not solve our problems and we may concede more, but we would be able to score goals at least.
For the same reason, I don`t think the criticism of the summer transfer is valid. If we had brought in some high profile defender instead of Luiz, I don`t think we would have played any better or got any more points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom