• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Saka has played more games as a left back for us? What? Do you mean for the youth team/U23s? In the first team he's been solely a left winger, which is obviously where he's best.
He means for England where hes predominantly been played as a LB. Hes pretty much a winger at this point. OP also added "in the games I've watched" meaning hes seen most of his 90 min performances for England before his Arsenal debut.

In any event, hes right re Nelson.

Afro Mugo

Saka has played more games as a left back for us? What? Do you mean for the youth team/U23s? In the first team he's been solely a left winger, which is obviously where he's best.
I meant in the youth teams . He played LB for England from u16 , u17, u18. Though in the Euro u17, he was constantly rotated in between the two positions. Only recently after his first team exploits has he been moved to LW permanently at u19 level. He's first u18 season while still a school boy he played almost 40-60 at LB -LW and it was the same case at u16 level. He's only been permanently stationed at LW once he brokethrough at u23 level. My point was , he's played as a defender a lot in his youth but at first team level it is his defending that has come under criticism despite the fact he's not played as one in first team level. It just shows how hard the transition is from youth to first team. Reiss, on the other hand had never played in defence before but was intergrated as a RWB and expected to perform as he did in the youth teams. This was when he was tearing up the u23 level . IMO this really damaged his confidence. He didn't get the chance to continue what he was doing at youth level. Moving from u23 to first team is hard enough as an attacker . As a defender its even harder.

I meant in the youth teams . He played LB for England from u16 , u17, u18. Though in the Euro u17, he was constantly rotated in between the two positions. Only recently after his first team exploits has he been moved to LW permanently at u19 level. He's first u18 season while still a school boy he played almost 40-60 at LB -LW and it was the same case at u16 level. He's only been permanently stationed at LW once he brokethrough at u23 level. My point was , he's played as a defender a lot in his youth but at first team level it is his defending that has come under criticism despite the fact he's not played as one in first team level. It just shows how hard the transition is from youth to first team. Reiss, on the other hand had never played in defence before but was intergrated as a RWB and expected to perform as he did in the youth teams. This was when he was tearing up the u23 level . IMO this really damaged his confidence. He didn't get the chance to continue what he was doing at youth level. Moving from u23 to first team is hard enough as an attacker . As a defender its even harder.

He played majority of his games with u18 as a left forward. Same with u23.

Afro Mugo

He played majority of his games with u18 as a left forward. Same with u23.
Isn't it precisely what I've said. I specifically mentioned his first season while still a school boy he still played a few games at LB and across England youth teams since u16 level he's been used there . Anyway I prefer him as a winger and the whole point of my post is getting lost in the Saka argument. The point was people criticize his "lack of defending " and this is a guy who has played regularly as a defender . Reiss was played as a wingback despite the fact he's never played there before which made him lose a lot of confidence . He then went on a loan where he didn't play a lot despite his early season scoring . He's never really got consistent game time in senior football for him to showcase his talent

CJJ

Established Member
I assume this would probably be overlooked but while it was short i think he came on the pitch with discipline, didn't try to take big chances potentially leaving us exposed. Basically just came on and provided the calmness we needed.

Good job Nelson, more of that and you are knocking on the XI door.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I assume this would probably be overlooked but while it was short i think he came on the pitch with discipline, didn't try to take big chances potentially leaving us exposed. Basically just came on and provided the calmness we needed.

Good job Nelson, more of that and you are knocking on the XI door.
Kept it simple and didnt overthink anything. He needs games like that to build on. Glad he looked good even though his run out was very short. Showed great technical security.

Afro Mugo

Watching Renato Sanches Masterclass yesterday reminded me of the impact confidence has on a player. He couldn't even hold up the ball at Swansea and looked very timid at Bayern. He was a beast and looked like a real star yesterday. At this moment I wouldn't mind if we sold Reiss with a buy back clause if that is what will get his confidence back . He needs games to get his confidence back and in the state our club is I'm not sure he'll get enough games to build back his confidence without much pressure.

Gunner-Union

I have read that he and Sancho were considered similar prospects, just hope Reiss can now kick on and hopefully under new management really show what he can do

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I have read that he and Sancho were considered similar prospects, just hope Reiss can now kick on and hopefully under new management really show what he can do
Needs to be a bit braver. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Hes doing diligent stuff at times but when it calls for him to he adventurous he is backing away.

Leaving is a possibility here. He needs to back himself more otherwise this narrative will continue and he wont get more chances to perform and show his talent. I dont think hes been bad either, but could be better. Gnabry was similarly timid at first so it's not over.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Needs to be a bit braver. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Hes doing diligent stuff at times but when it calls for him to he adventurous he is backing away.

Leaving is a possibility here. He needs to back himself more otherwise this narrative will continue and he wont get more chances to perform and show his talent. I dont think hes been bad either, but could be better. Gnabry was similarly timid at first so it's not over.

Agree on Gnabry , man kept it simple and scored when given the oppurtunity, a few goals for Nelson will allow him to develop in peace .

Freddie's first interview at Leicester he went out of his way to declare Nelson the future of Arsenal football Club - his words .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Agree on Gnabry , man kept it simple and scored when given the oppurtunity, a few goals for Nelson will allow him to develop in peace .

Freddie's first interview at Leicester he went out of his way to declare Nelson the future of Arsenal football Club - his words .
There's often a bit of revisionism on Gnabry's time at Arsenal - he was always hugely promising but his development was far from linear. His first 5-10 games or so he was very cautious at times, and didn't play very adventurously. That said, there was generally more positiveness towards Gnabry at that time, so it's not often talked about.

Nelson's had a baptism of fire this season, and people have gotten on his back almost immediately when he hasn't actually been bad at all this season - the only really bad games I can remember him having was his Watford cameo and a game for the England U21s which was the worst I'd ever seen him play.

That said, I think he's built up enough of a foundation to do a lot more than what he's currently doing. At the moment, it's just the basic stuff, which he's doing quite well and did so on Thursday. He just needs to start trusting his dribbling and shooting way more, be a bit more incisive. He can score goals when given the opportunity and I think we need to stick with him for as long as possible.

Gunner-Union

Part of the problem is we’ve been so bad and the fans are so frustrated and fed up that any bad performance by anyone is getting highlighted. Heard so many great things about him let’s hope under Freddie and whoever he can be allowed to develop

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Hard for young players to express themselves when we’re as watertight as a sieve defensively. It feels like with every turnover in possession the opposition can be straight in on goal and that nervousness spreads throughout the team.

I actually concur with those suggesting a sell with buy-back if he isn’t trusted to start regularly. Sancho wouldn’t be the player he is if he stayed at City (they should let Foden go btw) and not would Gnabry if he stayed at Arsenal.

@MutableEarth hit the nail on the head about him needing to back himself more though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This boy has close ball control. I know that he can shoot. But the application is not there most of the time. No runs in behind. Is he happy being a sub then. He should show more fight.
That's one aspect of his game today that I really didn't like. His runs and movement was very poor - was too narrow at times and didn't create enough space with his movement. Wasn't bad on the ball but those intangibles were not there today. He started well IMO but faded over the course of the game - I was surprised he had 90 mins today, but maybe Freddie wanted to throw him a bone.

He really needs to start displaying some confidence and bravery, it will take his game up so many levels. The skill is there. That said, I was OK with his performance, his only really bad game for me was Watford. But there is much room for improvement and I think he can achieve that here without going on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom