• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let's hope they all do!

I'm hoping for big performances after good break! Emery will surely have improved a lot of things and I've been told by forumers here that when we were thirdz in the league it was no luck, it was hard work and we deserved to be there! So lets get back to thirdz!

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
One look at the current standings in the table + decent knowledge of basic maths determines that we cannot get back to third this game week, smh.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Why are so many of you parroting this attacking midfielder nonsense? He plays as a CM just a few steps from the coveted DM position you lot love. He’s just been poor.
You can have all the reservations you want about him but lets be real here; playing box to box and at times being ahead of Özil on the field is very different to playing as an achorman who sits in front of the back 4.

He has clearly been instructed to get involved in and around the box too, its embarassing. I know its a different level but he was fantastic for Uraguay in his actual position over the break (and he also was for us until Jan )

Ashybashy86

You can have all the reservations you want about him but lets be real here; playing box to box and at times being ahead of Özil on the field is very different to playing as an achorman who sits in front of the back 4.

He has clearly been instructed to get involved in and around the box too, its embarassing. I know its a different level but he was fantastic for Uraguay in his actual position over the break (and he also was for us until Jan )
If he's not sitting back breaking up play, he's higher up the pitch running around like a headless chicken. Of course he's looked poor.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

This decision alone should get Emery fired. Torreira’s early impact breaking up play in front of defence should’ve been something he built on not undid.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
This decision alone should get Emery fired. Torreira’s early impact breaking up play in front of defence should’ve been something he built on not undid.
Shades of Wenger, when he'd try crazy things like trying to turn Eboue into CRonaldo, playing Bendtner on the wing and other mad stuff that I can'r recall. Lets hope he sees sense and sticks Lucas where he needs to be.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

He plays behind Özil though it's a myth he's our attacking midfielder. He showed up further than Özil a few times in a game and people ran with it and started acting like he's a number 10. The reason he doesn't play in front of the back 4 is because he isn't good at getting it from the defenders and passing or moving the ball forward which is why Xhaka and Guendouzi play there, you guys want a DM that does nothing but wait for a tackle.

I reckon we can only play him DM when we have 3 at the back like Emery did for a few months.

I don't watch Uruguay, I can only judge him from what I've seen at Arsenal. But I hope he can prove me wrong, I just don't like how he gets absolved of all blame for him poor performances.

Last edited:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The reason he doesn't play in front of the back 4 is because he isn't good at getting it from the defenders and passing or moving the ball forward which is why Xhaka and Guendouzi play there

That was literally his role for two years at Sampdoria. 90% of his body of work - what your scouts saw, the reason you brought him in presumably - was this. He's never been given the chance to do this for you. I cannot fathom why he was even brought in if you're not going to play him in his natural position.

Of course he isn't absolved of all blame but I fully understand his frustration.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That was literally his role for two years at Sampdoria. 90% of his body of work - what your scouts saw, the reason you brought him in presumably - was this. He's never been given the chance to do this for you. I cannot fathom why he was even brought in if you're not going to play him in his natural position.

Of course he isn't absolved of all blame but I fully understand his frustration.
Issue is a rather simple one to me - he's very determined and that somewhat makes up for his short stature and lack of pure athleticism but I don't think this is enough for Emery to trust him at the base of the midfield.

Firstly, Emery does have a preference for taller players in those deeper positions - his most recognizable midfield pre-PSG was Krychowiak and Nzonzi, two particularly large midfielders. Secondly, Torreira hasn't really proven himself to be a great progresser of the ball so far at Arsenal, however decent his range of passing was at Sampdoria. This is why Xhaka and Guendouzi have consistently rotated that deeper spot in midfield picking the ball up off the defence.

We can obviously analyze deeper at how incredibly poor our midfield is structured no matter who plays in these positions and point to Emery ultimately being the problem, but Torreira's performances have still not been convincing this season so far - in a vacuum. We know he's a very capable ball-winning midfielder who is decent at carrying and passing without being particularly spectacular. I think if he was a better technician, he'd play at the base more, a la Verratti (although Verratti wasn't a massive fan of Emery, probably for a similar issue of stature).

MATHEO

I understand why many managers prefer a technical passers at the base of their midfield, Sarri did it with Jorginho and pushed Kante higher up the pitch, Juventus had their success with Pirlo and Pjanic, Guardiola has always had that with Fernandinho, Xabi Alonso, and Bosquets. Fabinho with Klopp nowadays and even Lallana played as the deepest midfielder at times this season.

But this only works if you push your team higher up the pitch in the buildup, to give space and options to your talisman to spread long passes and control the game from deep. The way Arsenal is setup during the buildup is having 9 players in their own half, the wingers come too short and deep and that creates an overload in our own half and makes us vulnerable to pressing, rendering the use of such player in that position useless.

Xhaka is far from being a perfect player, his tackling technique is terrible for a defensive midfielder and he makes baffling and rash decisions at times, but the way Emery sets his team up is hindering him from being able to use his strengths which are dictating the play and stretching teams with his passing. Xhaka's strengths became redundant and has been absolutely useless under Emery.

My point is, his argument against playing Torreira as a DM only works if the tactics are suitable for a technical passer in that position, but they're not

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Amen to that. He is a very good player. Just need to play him where he is comfortable and effective. How often have we seen him play as the most advanced midfielder struggling to get to the ball. Just because Özil cannot be bothered to press doesn’t make Torreira the CAM we should use. It’s such ****ed up reasoning from Emery...

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He doesn't have the passing to operate as a lone 6, tho there is a part of me that wonders why we've strayed from the Xhaka-Torreira double pivot that worked fairly well while it was by no means perfect.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Reading Emery's quote on Torreira needing to improve. I kinda half agree with his words on the face value, but asking Torreira to play in the hole between the opposition lines and press early is really too much asking. Pressing is coordinated efforts. Positional work is not enough.

Question is: has Emery improved himself, given him spending big in the summer?

nick gould

Good ball winner but not much of a defensive midfielder. In the build up to Southampton's second goal the boy was jogging back leaving his defenders exposed. Roy Keane, Le Coq would have been busting their guts to get back. I don't think he has much over Joe willock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom