• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Great Squad Cost Thread

Squad cost?

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah, Wenger was so good that got 63 points in his last season.
You've only got to see what's happening to the club now that the fans have turned toxic again. It's dropping like a stone. Even Wenger couldn't fight that . . that's why his last two years were his worst.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Everything that is wrong with the club is all because we held onto Wenger longer than we should have................ we talked about how we can't sack Wenger cause we need to have muh transition plan or else we will hire a David Moyes, yet in the end we still hired a David Moyes. The entire culture of the club is rotten and after Wenger we still held onto the virtues of being a tortoise and waiting for things to fall onto our lap. Until we can find a figure who can make the same impact in us as Wenger once did, that Pep/Klopp is making in their current club, we can forget about the fortunes of the club improving.
I don't see how getting rid of Wenger suddenly makes these BOARD DECISIONS any different? We'd simply be further along our transition path..
Everything you have listed there is a consequence of decisions at Board level and have nothing to do with Wenger being here 2 years longer or shorter or whatever.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wenger didn't meet the club's target for 2 seasons in row and got the sack.
You try doing your job with planes over head telling you to **** off, and see if you meet your targets.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Wenger didn't meet the club's target for 2 seasons in row and got the sack.
Admittedly a much stronger argument but still negates the context in which it happened.
I'm happy to move on etc. I also think we had to do it at some point but the pleas to stop the comparisons don't really make sense. Pretty clear Wenger never had the same advantages Emery currently has..

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Did the planes start showing up for no reason?
In the context of it all, yes they did. We had won FA cups in recent years and although our spend was higher than before it was still not comparable to those who were competing for the title year in year out (Leicester excluded but what a side they still have there and it isn't as though they have maintained that miraculous form for half a decade...)

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Did the planes start showing up for no reason?
They believed that sh!t narrative that the mighty Arsenal spending 5th should be challenging for the league and winning the CL. So they started screaming at him over the internet after finishing 2nd to Leicester.

Even amidst all that hate, he was so good, he still won another trophy in 2017 and only dropped out of the top4 by one point.

He was a genius manager. It took a huge concerted effort to bring him down..

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
finishing 2nd to Leicester.
Funny thing that Liverpool, Sp**s and United fans never started flying planes that season even though they finished in worse places behind Leicester...
Liverpool... The most expectant fan group ever. Yet to win the Premier league... Not a single banner flown over their stadium....

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Funny thing that Liverpool, Sp**s and United fans never started flying planes that season even though they finished in worse places behind Leicester...
Liverpool... The most expectant fan group ever. Yet to win the Premier league... Not a single banner flown over their stadium....
Arsenal fans had worked themselves into a frenzy over a number of years though. In a sense it was a compliment. Even spending as low as we did, they had hope we'd win the league every season.

And every season he couldn't make it the frustration ramped up. Like a teenager who starts to realise that dad isn't superman after all, they turned nasty.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
They believed that sh!t narrative that the mighty Arsenal spending 5th should be challenging for the league and winning the CL. So they started screaming at him over the internet after finishing 2nd to Leicester.

Even amidst all that hate, he was so good, he still won another trophy in 2017 and only dropped out of the top4 by one point.

He was a genius manager. It took a huge concerted effort to bring him down..
The paying fans got what they wanted and that’s how it should always be. Club moved on and you need to do the same. Despite the state of things now, the excitement and noise in the stadium went up ten fold after Wenger. That’s what fans wanted—hope. That’s all fans want, and they were initially given that before the wheels apparently came off. That doesn’t reverse the **** state we were left in before we hired Emery.

Anyway.... NEXT! ..... These are exciting times again. Don’t look back in anger dude.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Like a teenager who starts to realise that dad isn't superman after all, they turned nasty.
I never flew a plane over my Dad's house when I realised he wasn't Superman. I thanked him..
Although, when my football father (Wenger) was in the same boat I acted like a coward.. on here at least.

Ewarwoowar

Timing was dreadful for Wenger, whilst other top teams were building, buying players that were already elite and had years ahead of them and solid back ups, we were having to play our best players to a stand still, thus injury, we had the thinnest squad. Even when money was freed to buy, it was not free cash it was just juggled from elsewhere and to top it off was only made available at the dawn of hyper inflation, the board snoozed and we losed.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The paying fans got what they wanted and that’s how it should always be.
I don't disagree with that. They pay the ticket prices, So they made their feelings very plain and took him down.

Those of us who loved Wenger just had to watch it happen. Just as we'll watch our journey back to the mediocrity we had before that great man arrived.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Just as we'll watch our journey back to the mediocrity we had before that great man arrived.
Half the problem right here. A large portion of our fans have no clue how crap we were before Wenger..

I don't disagree with that. They pay the ticket prices, So they made their feelings very plain and took him down.
@Eaststander74 I can't agree or disagree with your statement until I know where all the money comes in. Pretty well known fact that these clubs are global brands. How much of the revenue is from ticket sales and how much is from TV deals, shirt sales and merchandise etc around the world.
Genuine question as I do not know..

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II

Those of us who loved Wenger just had to watch it happen. Just as we'll watch our journey back to the mediocrity we had before that great man arrived.
We ALL love Wenger. Those fans who ‘took him down’ love him too—I was one of them. But he needed to be removed from the control room for the good of everybody—but mostly for the good of his own health. Why not be glad he’s still with us and hasn’t dropped dead in the touch line? The lord moves in mysterious ways...

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I never flew a plane over my Dad's house when I realised he wasn't Superman. I thanked him..
Although, when my football father (Wenger) was in the same boat I acted like a coward.. on here at least.
It's like being on Oprah. ;)

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don't see how getting rid of Wenger suddenly makes these BOARD DECISIONS any different? We'd simply be further along our transition path..
Everything you have listed there is a consequence of decisions at Board level and have nothing to do with Wenger being here 2 years longer or shorter or whatever.

Answered your own question, it was always going to be a long path for us to get back to the level we want to be at. And procrastinating does nothing but lengthen the "transition path".

Top Bottom