• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 121,249
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBL

Established Member
He's had some good games, had some dreadful games. The same as all of our defenders. Which points out to me that it's probably the system and our defenders, who are fairly average anyway are being left over exposed. Auba, Lacazette and Özil don't track back, our full backs push up the pitch and don't always have the energy to get back into positions in time and a midfield pairing of Xhaka and Torreira just inst mobile enough.

You compare it to the City/Liverpool system where players like Mane, Firmino, Sterling and Bernardo Silva are always working hard defensively. Same with the midfielders for both teams and some of these are elite players that you wouldn't necessarily associate with defensive work rate, so why don't our players do it? Are they not being told do or are they just lazy? Strange situation. I'd struggle to see any cb's looking comfortable in our team atm.

ScotsGooner89

Probably has the skills to play DM but even then his constant backing off could cause problems for the CB pair behind him. It’s strange though because I always had the impression he was a really rash defender but with us he just allows their ball carrier to do whatever he wants unimpeded.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
There were red flags everywhere. Why would Chelsea make him surplus to requirements during a transfer ban to play teenage CB’s?

Lampard didn’t push him out, just told him that his game time is limited as the club wants to develop the younger guys.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
My mistake. He must be amazing. That he couldn't get to Connolly last night (Who should have had their first) is due to our team. That Chelsea hardly put up a fight before selling is just a fluke. My bad. Fantastic player. Hasn't put a foot wrong here.

I didn't comment on his qualities or how he performed for us. I pointed out how does it make sense to have someone as one of the first players on the team sheet yet they thought he was an absolute liability. Only 1 outfield player has started more matches for Chelsea last season than Luiz.

Can you give me a logical explanation why they did that? The obvious answer is they rated him and considered him a vital player for them.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
There were red flags everywhere. Why would Chelsea make him surplus to requirements during a transfer ban to play teenage CB’s?

Lampard didn’t push him out, just told him that his game time is limited as the club wants to develop the younger guys.

He was 32, wanted to desperate go. What good would it do for Chelsea to stand in his way? They were building a new side with a lot of youngster anyway. Better do that than have a disgruntled player mope around the club, probably not even giving 100% anymore.

Players have all the power nowadays anyway. Look at Kos. We wanted him to stay, yet we couldn't. Most clubs will let go a player without too much hassle unless he is a world class player or very young with high ceiling.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We should never buy players from clubs we should be competing with, Chelsea, United , Dortmund etc none of thes teams would sell us good players only bums. Look at the players Chelsea have given us over the years; Gallas, washed up Cech and now Luiz. They're taking us for mugs!

DasBootist

We should never buy players from clubs we should be competing with, Chelsea, United , Dortmund etc none of thes teams would sell us good players only bums. Look at the players Chelsea have given us over the years; Gallas, washed up Cech and now Luiz. They're taking us for mugs!
I thought you rated Aubameyang

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Tbh I thought £8m for him was a bargain BUT I didn't think for a minute that he would be a regular starter. He's one of the reasons we are so bad in defence, Sokratis was great last season and hopeless this season, the only thing that has changed is Luiz next to him. I thought our starting CBs would be Holding (when fit) & Sokratis, I still think that's our best pairing but maybe Sokratis is too damaged now. Chambers couldn't even keep a CB position at Fulham, he won PoS as DM. We really need to try and do something in Jan but not just another has been, someone with a future!

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Chelsea fans were ecstatic when Luiz left from what I read.. Mustafi started 30+ games for us a few seasons back, everyone would have been thrilled if we managed to con a rival to buy him then.. Just have to accept Chelsea got the better of us yet again.

Eh, it was 7 mil for an experienced top team CB. Still don’t think it was a bad deal. He shouldn’t be our starter though.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Shockingly bad defender, would perfer to see Chambers at CB rather than him. Also I really don't understand why both him and Xhaka are in the team. Luiz was playing 60 yeard crossfield balls, isn't that xhakas job?

I still believe Luiz could do a job at DM, better than Xhaka in my opinion. But Luiz in a 2 isn't going to work. I'd rather play Torreira at CB than Luiz.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Luiz won't be a good DM and he will not want that role. Starting him will cost us points, with defeats being always imminent. Just coach the defenders in a old school way. Make them keep good defending shape, close down early, showing aggression and winning one-one-one, making tactical fouls if necessary. Playing old school defense does not mean the constant backing off like Luiz did. In the days of old guards, our FBs still running up and down on the sidelines.

Luiz tendency of backing off sometimes is really irritating. Xhaka and Guendouzi are not the fastest players with tracking back, yet Luiz keeps making our midfielders more running distance to catch up and leaving opposition attackers closer to firing range.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Is it me, or is it getting to the point where we should play him at DM or not at all? His defending is hysterically bad.

I’m still waiting for that one game where he turns into a prime Lucio for no apparent reason. I’ve seen nothing as of yet.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Is it me, or is it getting to the point where we should play him at DM or not at all? His defending is hysterically bad.

I’m still waiting for that one game where he turns into a prime Lucio for no apparent reason. I’ve seen nothing as of yet.
That`s what disappointed me. We all knew we weren`t getting a consistent top class defender, Luiz has been never been one. But he would often have games where he looked very, very good. Hasn`t shown that at all here. Though it is a lot easier to look good in a well drilled defence like Chelsea have had than our comedy one.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I feel like it's at least worth giving him a try at a midfield position. As previously stated, not like we are superstacked with quality there anyway.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I still don’t trust him and he’ll probably have a stinker against Chelsea but he was a brick wall today tbh.

Countless clearances from corners and crosses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom