• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The minimum expectations for a successful season: 19/20 edition

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
These threads are always interesting to read through, and it gives us a glance into the state of the club on the pitch, and perhaps now as a complete club.

In the past we spoke about winning trophies and finishing in automatic Champions League qualifying positions. Some would go on to state that a trophy win would be the only marker of a successful season at Arsenal Football Club.

Safe to say that no longer is the standard. We have now become accustomed to mid table to outside the top four finishes, coming close in recent seasons but now seemingly drifting further and further from what once was our bread and butter.

So my question takes on a further dimension to just this season. I think it would be safe to say that isnt really a successful outcome this season, but certain outcomes could set us up for a recovery period in years to come.

So I ask... what are the minimum requirements for a successful season, both on the pitch, and I'd ask you to consider off the pitch as well.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Any form of success has already gone. If( ha!!!) we win the EL then yeah.

The only thing I'd consider a success for this season would be kronke selling

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
On the pitch:

Exciting football, we're so boring nowadays it hurts.

Off the pitch:
People at the club with an actual plan to take the club to the top of European football. It just feels like we're flailing around nowadays without a scooby of what's the next step that we will take.

More risk taking. Wenger started to get so risk averse and safe in his latter years. Buying middle of the road guys like Mertesacker, Xhaka, Cech and Welbeck. Its like the club's transfer motto was "safe pair of hands" and look where that got us. Imagine if the club had taken a few gambles and brought in Koulibaly, Kante, Ter Stegen and Mane instead.

I can forgive him Xhaka because that didn't work out and he was at the right age. But anyone could have seen that the likes of Cech, Per and Welbeck were already at their ceiling

Higher standards. This applies to on the pitch too but I'm seeing too many average to at best good players getting praised to the hilt by the fanbase and its annoying. It is like, we've all been duped into lowering our standards. Even now I see people clamoring for the days of Monreal and Per in defence, when those two had more than their fair share of clownish performances.

We actually conceded more goals in the league, after we signed Per and Nacho compared to when we had Toure, Gallas, Djourou and Vermaelen as our defenders. There was certainly no marked improvement.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
None even europa i can't see us winning. just finish the season and start act like football club with real plan.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Sell the twerk brothers and Özil in winter, bring in fernandinho, get a manager who can get the players to believe in a system.

And learn the tactical foul ffs. That was the difference between our counters and city's. And kolasinac of course

ScotsGooner89

Minimum for a successful season hasn’t changed from the start. Still require champions league qualification from whatever means possible, would actually rather win the EL than somehow manage to miraculously get top 4, at least it’s a real trophy.

I’m not saying that goal is realistic, just that us having a successful season is not realistic now.

Realistic hope for the season is finish top 6. Hire a manager who proves to be a success, preferably with a brand of football that’s exciting to watch. Show evidence that next year can be better with 3-4 signings and go again.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

What’s happening now is the least of my expectations. The club is so unrecognisable it’s painful. I don’t see how we’ll ever become a top club again in my lifetime not even being dramatic.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
For me, a successful season points more towards our movements off the field of play in addition to what happens on it. Off the field takes more importance for me.

The following applies to the rest of this season and the summer before next season.

Off the pitch
  • Clear roles and responsibilities defined for Edu, Raul and co.
  • Appointments of proper football persons behind the scenes. I would actually go and get someone like Sven Mislintat back.
  • The appointment of a top class manager, who is proven over time with a team with average financial resources. This manager must be young and have a clearly defined style of play and approach to games on the field. My personal preference would be someone in the summer, with Freddie guiding us until then.
  • A clear plan to back the incoming manager financially, with quality signings right through the team. In addition should there be a plan of action and targets linked to this plan (quality squad built, top four finishes, league challenge). This point doesnt need to be announced by the club.
On the pitch
  • 50 points for the season (that translates to 10 more wins)
  • Give Freddie some staff to work with, with a focus on defensive organisation as he is my man to take us to the end of the season. Get people like Martin Keown in (who helped us during our 2006 CL run), and other smart people who can assist us with our survival strategy.
  • Give more time to our youth players, to prepare them for more first team contributions during the 20/21 season.
A rough plan in my mind, giving us time to prepare for next year and beyond. We cannot afford to much this next appointment up. We need a proven person who can work under our conditions.

TheEconomist

Established Member
Minimum for a successful season hasn’t changed from the start. Still require champions league qualification from whatever means possible, would actually rather win the EL than somehow manage to miraculously get top 4, at least it’s a real trophy.

I’m not saying that goal is realistic, just that us having a successful season is not realistic now.

Realistic hope for the season is finish top 6. Hire a manager who proves to be a success, preferably with a brand of football that’s exciting to watch. Show evidence that next year can be better with 3-4 signings and go again.
Yes exactly. The criteria is the same as it was before the season started. You can't just downgrade your expectations halfway through, you just have to accept it probably won't be a successful season.

Although I would add if we can get rid of the Kroenke's that would be a success

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Qualify for the Europa League and develop the club's young players (Saka, Martinelli, Willock, Guendouzi, ESR, Nelson), which is literally what Arsenal has on the other clubs in England these days, the greatest youth talents, more than Chelsea imo.

Next year Arsenal will need to buy yes or yes, a quality CB, a fast touchball and creative CM and a defensive midfielder who really knows how to defend.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom