• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toast

Established Member
It looks like we're going for a massive gamble. Let's hope Arteta is one of those rare assistants who can make the step up to management of a major club (though have any ever done so without having any experience?)

For this season there's little harm in gambling; we're already at pretty much rock bottom. Worst case we'll stay midtable. However, with an appointment like this the main question will be what happens next season. If Arteta can't clearly turn it around this season would we, should we, then give him another go next season? Get that call wrong and you can write off another season.

Tumblin'Dice

Hates Reddit
One positive ,I guess, is that my expectations will be at an all time low.

This isn't the appointment of a team desperate to compete at the highest level against the best teams.So I need to adjust my expectations accordingly.

I can stop worrying about potential titles,Guaranteed Champions league placing, and enjoy Europa League runs,minor cup runs and get excited when we're still vaguely in contention for 4th close to the end of the season.

This is our new normal.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Thinking of a starting XI I dont think many of the players played with Arteta or if they did they were only kids themselves and he was the club captain at the time.

Leno
Bellerin Holding Soktaris Kola
Torreira Guendouzi
Pepe Özil Martinelli
Aubameyang

from that only Bellerin and Özil would have played with Arteta.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Reading some really interesting stuff on the Gunners sub-reddit about Arteta, makes him seem far more appealing.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
So we wasted 3 weeks since Emery left, just to appoint a candidate that was available from the start, and we already knew very well?

If we waited 3 weeks to negociate with Pochettino, or wait for a top coach to become available, then fine, so be it.

But to waste 3 weeks just to hire Arteta, it just feels bad and poor planing. I don't think it was their first choice. It looks like more of a panic move.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

If Arteta is going to get the position & it's been decided by the board can we just hurry up & announce him & put everyone's mind at rest about our new manager. There will be positives & negatives in every candidate, we can just focus on the positives hopefully sooner rather then later as in over a week.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

So we wasted 3 weeks since Emery left, just to appoint a candidate that was available from the start, and we already knew very well?

If we waited 3 weeks to negociate with Pochettino, or wait for a top coach to become available, then fine, so be it.

But to waste 3 weeks just to hire Arteta, it just feels bad and poor planing. I don't think it was their first choice. It looks like more of a panic move.

It's possible he was always our number 1 choice and we got told we needed to wait until City had played us, could even stretch back to why we didn't sack Emery earlier... who know's I'm just spitballing.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog

Maybe City didn't want to let him go before the game vs Arsenal, and Arteta knew all the time that he was getting the job, so he could find his assistants already.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Here's my Arsenal managerial conspiracy theory.

- Ivan (bald) bottled it with Arteta even though they all agreed he was our number 1 target before he chose Emery.

- We spoke to Arteta a few months back about the role but told we needed to wait until yesterdays fixture.

- This is why we kept Emery on for a few more weeks than needed because we knew Freddie would have no staff and would only be here for a handful of games.

- Arteta is the boards number one choice and they know what they are doing.

- Arteta will now become head coach.

The end.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
No coach is a safe bet.
Not a single one.

Much rather give it to Mikel then Carlo for example.
We are reaching all time lows, but we can still show some class and go our way instead of all those soulless clubs around.

I'll never forget a scene from Austria preseason...I climb up to the wall and there is our team, doing gym work at that moment. Everyone busy with their exercises while Giroud walks around shirtless, only one, such surprise.
and then the door opens, and it's Mikel leading the group of 5 or 6 of them, Nacho being his right hand.
Arteta leads the way, they follow in silence, and more player join the group clearly letting Mikel lead the way.
I come down from the wall and tell everyone about don Arteta while still thinking of ripped Oli.
true story

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
When plans awry he won't be able to appeal to authority like other managers because he has no resume.

You'll have players in the dressing room questioning his credentials at the first sign of trouble.

Disaster written all over it.
don't agree - the heirarchy will be more desperate for him to succeed than he will be, as they know they have to stabilize the club - those players who may resist his authority are probably due to leave before next season anyway, so can be ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom