• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
Pepe is OK, I wouldn't say he was bad, but I think we'd have been much better off with Zaha. He seems to me like a much more effective Premier League player.
Zaha's ceiling is 10 goals in a season though, while being a main player of his team. When he was Pepe's aged he scored 2 goals in 34 league games.

HBL

Established Member
This has happened his entire Arsenal career

We haven’t set up to use our wingers effectively and get them the ball in the correct positions to do damage.
Agreed, they need to be higher up the pitch but our defenders don't have the passing quality so they have to drop deeper to get the ball.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Agreed, they need to be higher up the pitch but our defenders don't have the passing quality so they have to drop deeper to get the ball.
Defenders nor midfielders. I think our trouble in possession is mostly that we can't progress the ball through midfield effectively to our attack. All our attackers are struggling. Do expect more of our record signing despite these issues though, but hard to judge him too harshly.

Tumblin'Dice

Hates Reddit
“Us players have to do better quickly. We have won only one game out of the last 12 [in all competitions]. It is not enough, we are Arsenal. It is about us, not the coach or anything else. We have to wake up quickly, starting against Everton.”

“We understand the fans. After conceding three goals, they are not happy. They are Arsenal fans, they are used to winning. We need to give them the taste of victory again. We have big games coming up. We need to keep working so we can get this fourth place.”

I can get behind this guy.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can overplay sometimes, but if we can get our attack playing a bit more direct than you basically have a winger that can beat most defenders at will.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
The guy can't catch a break. Score 2 goals against Vitoria then is inexplicably banished. Waits patiently while all our other attackers bar Martinelli keep putting in rubbish performances yet they keep getting selected. Seems only Pepe has to keep producing the goods or he will be benched.

Finally he is back in the starting 11 against West ham and puts in a very promising performance. We lose pathetically against City in the next game and he is benched again. Are we trying to absolutely destroy any confidence he has? You must really start to question your own abilities if half our academy seems to be getting a game before he does.

If that wasn't enough. In today's match, in the last 20 or 15 minutes why not throw him in? No, we decide we not even going to use our 3rd sub. That must be extremely hard to take. I'm intrigued to see how Arteta uses him.

Rant over.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The guy can't catch a break. Score 2 goals against Vitoria then is inexplicably banished. Waits patiently while all our other attackers bar Martinelli keep putting in rubbish performances yet they keep getting selected. Seems only Pepe has to keep producing the goods or he will be benched.

Finally he is back in the starting 11 against West ham and puts in a very promising performance. We lose pathetically against City in the next game and he is benched again. Are we trying to absolutely destroy any confidence he has? You must really start to question your own abilities if half our academy seems to be getting a game before he does.

If that wasn't enough. In today's match, in the last 20 or 15 minutes why not throw him in? No, we decide we not even going to use our 3rd sub. That must be extremely hard to take. I'm intrigued to see how Arteta uses him.

Rant over.
While I mostly agree that Pepe hasn't been dealt the best hand in his time here, it must be said that he was struggling with a knee problem going into the City game that he was rushed back for - not out of question that he was held back as a result. Also possible that Nelson was preferred for slightly better defensive work, which bore out in the fact that Everton didn't threaten much on the wing.

I'm happy the academy players are getting games - however I do feel that Pepe has to start playing more matches as he's been a bright spark in the last few matches we've seen him in bar City.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
This has happened his entire Arsenal career

We haven’t set up to use our wingers effectively and get them the ball in the correct positions to do damage.
Also, our players dont seem to know how to take advantage of whatever space opens up because of the double team. Our movement is so poor

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Our team has been so dysfunctional in attack that any assessment of him will be inaccurate.

When we set up and attack how we should we will see. I suspect he'll be very effective

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
Play him up front.

He'll either become Henry or Sanogo. It's a risk, but one that we should take.

We have nothing to lose, apart from £50m resale value.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I’m hopeful he’ll hit his stride soon under Arteta because it’ll obviously help the team, but it’s been so long since I’ve had a good compilation video of one of our guys tearing defenders up I’ve lost my favorite putting-off-work-I-need-to-do distraction.

Come on Mikel! Get Pepe’s confidence back! I’m tired of working at work!

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

Rant over.

Tbf Ljungberg was probably not concerned with the medium/long term as he was interim coach, Pepe is also a professional footballer and our record signing so if that doesn't give him some confidence then he probably doesn't have the right minerals to make it here anyway.

I think we'll see a new Pepe now and since its a long season he'll get plenty of game time, plenty of goals and assists.

We probably won't see the best of him until next season though, given he only joined from Ligue 1 6 or so months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom