• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

ArsenalFever

really interested in where he ends up
Looks like Tottenham are in the race.

As regards to Cavani, I wish listed him prior to the season starting, could be a smart transfer on a free.

Leno for captaincy, Ceballos in, marquee center back signing (pay the money), Saliba looks ready, marquee attacking mid signing, left wing also.
Barring Martinelli, a foundation is needed to integrate the youth, that includes Guendouzi.

Smith Rowe is the most ready to play in the league out of our youth prospects along with Gabby.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Leno
Bellerin Saliba Zagadou Tierney
Camavinga Guendouzi
Sancho Foden Saka
Martinelli
Here is my future Arsenal team and this could potentially workout. In the winter window we buy Camavinga and loan in Foden until the end of the season (where we pay his release and he joins us - Arteta would have a major pull here hopefully). Then, we finish 6th in the league and win the EL (this gets us back into the CL). From here, we pick up Zagadou in the summer and Saliba comes back from loan while Bellerin and Tierney are back and better then ever. We slowly start integrating Martinelli and Saka into the starting line up and this team starts to gel, we finish next season in 4th. That summer we pick up Sancho and the following season we win the CL and PL double!

One can dream lol.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Dream:
Out: Laca, Auba, Özil, Xhaka, Chambers, Sokratis, Mustafi.
In: Cavani, James Maddison, Ndidi, Soyuncu, Yan Couto

Probably not realistic tho, especially because the Leicester guys are in sight of currently more attractive clubs (Barcelona, Real, Atlético, Internazionale, Juventus, Bayern, Leipzig, Dortmund, ManU, Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, PSG these are all possible more attractive clubs than Arsenal), but they could be the best possible options, you see, proven players in the English League, who still have several years in a high class level, still some margin of improvement, and who are the best players in a team that is doing one of the best campaigns of the whole Premier League history.

I think they are borderline irrealistic tho, not just for money. The same for the like of Werner, Partey, Koubaily etc.

Martinelli/Saka* ----- Cavani (Nketiah) ----- Pepé (Nelson)
---------------- Maddison ----- Torreira/Guendouzi ---------
-----------------------------Ndidi --------------------------------
Tierney -----------Soyuncu ---- Saliba --------------- Bellerin/AMN
----------------------------- Leno ---------------------------------

* Two players with world class potential maybe, higher ceiling than Zaha or some others imo.

But I could be ok with Grealish instead of Maddison, some defensive midfielder who has athleticism to cover the field, intercept etc and a minimally decent defender, these players being ready to elevate the club since the first minute. Zagadou yesterday seemed to me better than Upamecano too and his winning duel rates are excellent, may be an alternative, for a big money too.

Laca and Auba out to make money and Cavani for 'free'.

Last edited:

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Camavinga is very young (not exactly what Arsenal needs, especially that in midfield we should have more experience), and he would also be very expensive since every club in Europe would be keeping an eye on him.

EL8hbGOWkAAKsD_

If it is to break the bank, I would prefer Ndidi, better age, proven in the EPL.
Camavinga is borderline irrealistic too.

Goonger

Trying to think what i'd like to see Arteta do. I think in January i'd like to see a couple of moves to help stabilise the defence & midfield.

We are likely to have a limited budget for January, so whatever we have i'd like used on a centre back. Demiral would be my choice, but that might prove difficult. I think him & Saliba make a great potential partnership for years to come..

In midfield, i wouldn't mind a stop gap signing if things are tight. Someone perhaps experienced that wont be a big outlay. Was thinking 1 of Vidal / Rakitic or perhaps Emre Can on loan? This should help give us stability in the short term, & can go bigger in the summer.

I want Arteta to move to a 4-3-3 formation. I want Torreira as the DM until the end of the season, with 2 proper midfielders just in front, say Vidal & Ceballos. This gives us 6 months to see if both if Torreira can excel in his favoured position with a more stable midfield, & also lets us see if it's worth going for Ceballos at the end of his loan. If not both can go in the summer as part of an overhaul.

Then, in the summer, it would all be about reassessing.
Can Torreira cut it, if not, sell. Consider Fernandinho on a free in the summer if needed.
Is it worth going for Ceballos or are we better with new options?
Are Auba & Lacazette commited (new contracts) & willing to put in the effort, if not get rid. Auba for Jovic & some cash would be good, perhaps someone like Moussa Dembele for Lacazette, gives us 2 different types of forwards.
Get the deadwood out. Xhaka, Özil, Mustafi, Elneny, Sokratis, Mkhitaryan good for starters. Should help free up some more funds to go big on a more athletic midfielder like Partey or Zakaria or the likes.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Trying to be somewhat realistic:

Winter 19/20

Out: Xhaka (€30m, £100k) Mustafi (€15m, £90k)
In: Partey (€50m, £100k) Demiral* (€30m, £50k)

Net: €45m spent, £40k wages/saved
(If necessary to balance the books sell Laca now for €60m, Özil can go if anyone wants him)
*My preference would be Dias but he'd likely cost at least double

First XI
Martinelli - Aubameyang - Pepe
Willock/ESR/Ceballos - Partey
Torreira
Tierney - Demiral - Sokratis - Bellerin
Leno​

Summer

Out: Lacazette (€60m, £180k) Aubameyang (€70m, £200k) Özil (free, £350k), Mkhitaryan (€10m, £180k) Elneny (€10m, £50k) Ceballos (end of loan) Chambers (€25m, £50k) Maitland-Niles (€15m, £35k) Luiz (€5m, £120k)

Total: €195m, ~£1.15m wages/week saved
(Ideally, I'd replace Kolasinac and Sokratis as well + potentially Bellerin if his form doesn't pick up, but that might be too much)

In: Fernandinho (€5m fees, £150k) Alderweireld (€5m fees, £120k), Aouar (€50m, £100k) Dembele (€50m, £100k), Aarons (€20m, £50k), Ziyech (€30m, £100k)

Total: €160m, ~£620k wages

First XI
Martinelli - Dembele - Pepe
Aouar - Partey
Fernandinho
Tierney - Alderweireld - Demiral - Bellerin
Leno​
Second
Saka - Nketiah/Nelson - Ziyech
ESR / Willock - Guendouzi
Torreira
Kolasinac - Holding - Saliba - Aarons
Martinez​

I desperately want Ziyech, but he's best in a free role on the RW. Can't think of a LW I would want though. Depending on opposition this squad would allow you a lot of flexibility for the attacking four. Could drop Fernandinho and play Ziyech at CAM when we expect to dominate possession. Can play Martinelli as striker and potentially Pepe on the left. Can play Ziyech on RW when you need high workrates there in a tough game, or Pepe for the counter tactic.

Last edited:

ArsenalFever

If Dias is attainable, ide prefer Arsenal pay the money.

How likely is it that Arsenal sell in January considering the circumstances, can Mkhi be recalled, would he want to be recalled...

Estimated 40m in January before sales, will be interesting to assess Arteta's vision in terms of recruitment, in the coming transfer market.

Is it even worth spending a penny unless Arsenal can afford what they need.

Arsenal are actually stocked at center back, so a marquee signing is surely worth splashing it out for rather than just adding to the party.

Would like Arsenal to look at a couple affordable squad additions in January from eastern Europe, Alexey Miranchuk from Lokomotiv Moscow who could be a perfect Özil pairing and replacement, and Florinel Coman from Steaua Bucharest who could be a fantastic option for left wing for the money.

Wouldn't surprise me if Arteta looked at Dani Olmo in January too.

Justin1986

Trying to think what i'd like to see Arteta do. I think in January i'd like to see a couple of moves to help stabilise the defence & midfield.

We are likely to have a limited budget for January, so whatever we have i'd like used on a centre back. Demiral would be my choice, but that might prove difficult. I think him & Saliba make a great potential partnership for years to come..

In midfield, i wouldn't mind a stop gap signing if things are tight. Someone perhaps experienced that wont be a big outlay. Was thinking 1 of Vidal / Rakitic or perhaps Emre Can on loan? This should help give us stability in the short term, & can go bigger in the summer.

I want Arteta to move to a 4-3-3 formation. I want Torreira as the DM until the end of the season, with 2 proper midfielders just in front, say Vidal & Ceballos. This gives us 6 months to see if both if Torreira can excel in his favoured position with a more stable midfield, & also lets us see if it's worth going for Ceballos at the end of his loan. If not both can go in the summer as part of an overhaul.

Then, in the summer, it would all be about reassessing.
Can Torreira cut it, if not, sell. Consider Fernandinho on a free in the summer if needed.
Is it worth going for Ceballos or are we better with new options?
Are Auba & Lacazette commited (new contracts) & willing to put in the effort, if not get rid. Auba for Jovic & some cash would be good, perhaps someone like Moussa Dembele for Lacazette, gives us 2 different types of forwards.
Get the deadwood out. Xhaka, Özil, Mustafi, Elneny, Sokratis, Mkhitaryan good for starters. Should help free up some more funds to go big on a more athletic midfielder like Partey or Zakaria or the likes.
Exactly how I see it , great post

Justin1986

Does anyone know anything of igor zubeldia , heard his name mentioned a few times and just thought because of the Spanish and real Sociedad (Xabi Alonso) link that this may be something we look into ??

Bloodbather

Established Member

Think we desperately need a CB, a DM and a CM. That's where the bulk of the spending should go to. The team lacks a solid foundation in the middle, and having one is a requisite for having a great team. It's not a coincidence that the greatest teams in Arsenal history have had rock solid players forming the foundation, from Keown-Adams with Petit-Vieira to Campbell-Touré with Gilberto-Vieira.

For CB, my pipedream is Kalidou Koulibaly, but I think Napoli charge 100 million+ for him. He'd probably have been gone by now if they didn't charge so much. I'd go Dayot Upamecano, a player that has already been linked to us. A rock at the back, I liken him to Kolo Touré a bit. Could form a nice partnership with Saliba, they speak the same language, too.

For DM, Denis Zakaria is a no-brainer for me. The team desperately needs a physical, athletic defensive midfielder holding the fort. We've needed one for ages. Zakaria fits the mold perfectly and has been brilliant for Mönchengladbach. Could see him having a Fabinho-lite impact for us.

For CM, we need an all-arounder who can create but also has the work rate to contribute defensively. Houssem Aouar is my pick here. Advances the ball very well, good playmaker, and isn't a liability defensively. He'd provide much needed dynamism to our midfield, I'd much rather have a player like him instead of a playmaker with a poor work rate. *cough* Özil *cough*

Leno
Bellerin Saliba Upamecano Tierney
Aouar Zakaria Guendouzi
Pepe Aubameyang Martinelli

Last edited:

Harry Hunter

Upamecano
Partey
Havertz
Vinicius Jr/Jovic

Leno
Partey Torreira/Guendouzi
Havertz
Pepe Jovic/Martinelli Vinicius Jr/Martinelli

Swap Auba for either Jovic or Vinicius depending what position we see Martinelli long term and sell Laca and all the dead wood players to fund the other transfers.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think we need to really be buying in the 23-24 age range of players who have seasons behind their play.

I'd like two way central midfielders of a high technical level. Capable of running, pressing, tracking, tackling but also confident in possession, able to dribble and capable of playing key passes forward. Players look good on YouTube compilations. Someone like Szlobozlai is attracting attention. Does he effect the game though? Can he run back at pace? can he tackle?

I would much rather we invested in players like Golovin and Pellegrini at 30 million each. We need a midfield rebuild.

WiscoGooner8

Think we desperately need a CB, a DM and a CM. That's where the bulk of the spending should go to. The team lacks a solid foundation in the middle, and having one is a requisite for having a great team. It's not a coincidence that the greatest teams in Arsenal history have had rock solid players forming the foundation, from Keown-Adams with Petit-Vieira to Campbell-Touré with Gilberto-Vieira.

For CB, my pipedream is Kalidou Koulibaly, but I think Napoli charge 100 million+ for him. He'd probably have been gone by now if they didn't charge so much. I'd go Dayot Upamecano, a player that has already been linked to us. A rock at the back, I liken him to Kolo Touré a bit. Could form a nice partnership with Saliba, they speak the same language, too.

For DM, Denis Zakaria is a no-brainer for me. The team desperately needs a physical, athletic defensive midfielder holding the fort. We've needed one for ages. Zakaria fits the mold perfectly and has been brilliant for Mönchengladbach. Could see him having a Fabinho-lite impact for us.

For CM, we need an all-arounder who can create but also has the work rate to contribute defensively. Houssem Aouar is my pick here. Advances the ball very well, good playmaker, and isn't a liability defensively. He'd provide much needed dynamism to our midfield, I'd much rather have a player like him instead of a playmaker with a poor work rate. *cough* Özil *cough*

Leno
Aouar Zakaria Guendouzi
Pepe Aubameyang Martinelli

I like the look of that. I think we for sure need someone like Dayot in back. I’m sure we will be looking for our “Fernandinho or Rodri”, so Zakaria, Partey, Tonali or Florentino would be good. Could use a “modern CAM/CM” such as Havertz (pipe dream), Aouar (also probably pipe dream), Dani Olmo, Phil Foden. I think one of those 4 at each CM spot paired with Torreira could be great balance. Not sure a single one of those guys is available in January, with the exception of Foden (although apparently our future dealings with City are ruined). If Auba wants to leave, try to get Jovic or another young exciting striker.

January
Out
:
Xhaka to Hertha Berlin - 45 million
Auba to Real Madrid - 60 million
In:
Timo Werner, 30 million release clause
Thomas Partey, 50 million release clause
Dayot Upamecano, 50 million release clause
Spend:
25 million

Summer
Out
:
Lacazette, 60 million?
Özil, free
Mustafi, 15 million?
Mhikitaryan, 10 million?
In:
Jack Grealish, 30 million? (Relegation)
Houssem Aouar, 60 million?
Kai Havertz, 80 million?
Spend:
85 million

Last edited:

WiscoGooner8

January
Out
:
Xhaka to Hertha Berlin - 45 million
Auba to Real Madrid - 60 million
In:
Timo Werner, 30 million release clause
Thomas Partey, 50 million release clause
Dayot Upamecano, 50 million release clause
Spend:
25 million

Summer
Out
:
Lacazette, 60 million?
Özil, free
Mustafi, 15 million?
Mhikitaryan, 10 million?
In:
Jack Grealish, 30 million? (Relegation)
Houssem Aouar, 60 million?
Kai Havertz, 80 million?
Spend:
85 million

That’s the stuff of my dreams right there. However how do we fit all of those midfielders on the pitch? They’ll all want to be playing every game. Unless you put Aouar on the left where he has played a little for Lyon, but he’s definitely a CM.

That’s the stuff of my dreams right there. However how do we fit all of those midfielders on the pitch? They’ll all want to be playing every game. Unless you put Aouar on the left where he has played a little for Lyon, but he’s definitely a CM.
Most of them can play multiple positions. Grealish as winger or midfielder, same with Havertz, he could possibly play as striker as well.

Buying these players doesnt really result in any increase of midfielders thought. We are buying 4 CMs and selling 3 + Ceballos will be leaving.

ChefMan21

The below assumes we lose Laca, PEA, Torreira, Mustafi, Mkhi, Elneny, Sokratis, and Özil plus another £60m or so from a transfer kitty.

Inclined to move away from a 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 for two key reasons:
  1. everyone wants to play 4-3-3 and they're largely training to both implement and defend against that;
  2. I think there's a lot of quality midfielders out there that we should be looking at (more so than strikers/wingers, at least that's my perception);
http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=v23q

Defence
Keen to get some size and strength into our CB pairing, while aiming for players around that 24-26 mark.
  • Tah. He's strong and aggressive, which I think is something we miss, while also being good in the air (he's 1.95m).
  • Umtiti. Think he's a top-class defender when fit, and as he is not being played much, could probably get him on the cheap. The knee is quite clearly a concern, which would also put downward pressure on his price. Nevertheless, I'm also distinctly aware that Saliba is coming, which gives us great depth at CB even with injury: Tah, Umtiti, Saliba, Luiz, and Holding.

Midfield
Again want power and strength here, but also want intelligence. The intelligence comes from the DM position and a more advanced central midfielder - players that have a brain to spark the attack for when we're transitioning. The power and strength come from the two more centrally/traditionally-local central midfielders, in this case, Milinkovic-Savic and Berge.
  • Tonali. The biggest thing I like about him? He's quick between the ears. He's compared to Pirlo often enough, which is interesting, and I've liked him in the games I've seen. He also solves a problem of not having a good link between defence and attack. His passing range and quality are fantastic.
  • Milinkovic-Savic and Berge. Two big bodies to control the midfield and give us a presence, which we've lacked for years. The former is 1.91m, while the latter is 1.95m. Two very different players, but the idea would be for them to protect Tonali and the goal as much as possible in defence while playing key roles in attack (especially the former).
  • Puig. I was impressed with him when he played against us in the preseason and he's another who has that characteristic I will always love: being quick between the ears. Not concerned about his size because of how well he handled us, and since he's not getting a run in the Barcelona side just yet, I'd grab him before his value (potentially) skyrockets.

Attack
This was difficult. My issue is that spending on strikers when our midfield and CB pairing need such work was not the best way to build the foundation of the side. I think we would do well to simplify Pepe's game to a central striker role. He can drift and do what he needs to do, but I'm more concerned with him scoring goals than making dazzling runs.
  • Cavani. Unsure of this one, but he is off contract, and I'm sold for a few reasons (1+1 type contract). Firstly, he brings much-needed experience and goals to the side. Secondly, he's made that transition from wing to striker (and vice versa), which would help Pepe. Thirdly, I think Martinelli would do well to learn from him (incl. concerning the second point).
We could probably buy a striker instead of Cavani, but it's going to cost plenty to buy one of quality - at least there's no transfer fee for Cavani. Could also supplement with a loan signing as necessary.

I think this could be achieved over 2-3 years (earlier if we're willing to spend), and would create a solid foundation in defence/midfield (before we focus on our attack.)
Still this, but realised I forgot a keeper. Perhaps someone like Lafont?

Top Bottom