• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kia Joorabchian's Transfer Targets: January 2020

Which area of the pitch is the biggest priority to improve in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Upamecano is world class. A 23 terry/ferdinand aren’t that much different to a 30 terry/ferdinand in terms of ability, they are already world class at that age.
Even if there exist tiny marginal difference between the ability of Upamecano and Koulibaly. Is that margin worth losing us over £60m of transfer fee and give up £80m of selling profit (£140m in total)?
If you use that attitude to buy other players, we are going to give up £140m after £140m.
Aouar is performing like a prime modric at the moment. Why not getting him instead of spend on let say an expensive prime modric, which their ability is almost identical?

Upamecano has a lot to learn. Both him and Konate has massive positional issues and have the tendency to make errors and lose concentration. He is good on the ball, but I have a feeling that there are better young centre backs out there. Probably alot cheaper too.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I thought Koulibaly was very in the 15/16 season ( if I recall correctly). Then the following season he was extremely error prone, I havent watch Serie A regualrly for a season or two now. Koulibaly Reminds me of Mustafi, wins a lot of headers and challenges but always has a brain fart in him.

As for the Upamecano he looked woeful for France under 21s during the tournament

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Read this post again and you will know why:

Why don’t we buy Upamecano who is just as equally as good as Koulibaly? And instead of losing the complete chunk of transfer fee after 5 years, we make a profit.
It’s like why you would get a 28 Neymar when you can get a 21 Mbappe who is just as good and you can earn money with it instead of losing huge money?

If Upamecano and Saliba are your center back pairing entering next season, you'll be looking at a combined age of 40. Two CBs who are works in progress. Not sure that's a good idea.

I've been saying for awhile that Arsenal needs to emulate Liverpool and sell strategically in order to replenish the squad, but Liverpool didn't buy Suarez, Coutinho and others just to turn a profit on them in the future. When that's your priority, you've become a selling club. Future value is important, but it should only be a factor in a comprehensive determination of what a player can bring to a team. Sometimes an established veteran with limited resale value is a better fit. Arsenal needs to look at both the near and long-term futures.

Malky

Established Member
I'm pretty confident we're not even considering Koulibaly, we can't afford him even if we mange to offload all our CB's (except Saliba) If there was a chance of Napoli selling at an affordable price we'd need to join the very long queue.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I understand your point and do agree to a degree but it's important to strike a natural balance which is what I think @Idiotologue is hinting.

Bringing established stars in their prime to a young team with potential has more impact than just the contribution the player himself brings to the table. Young players value having figures on the team that they can rely on as they are improving, and the elevated level of competition gives them more confidence.

I don't know if you guys follow the NBA or not, but the NBA team I support, Miami Heat, has been a textbook example this season of what I referred to. They had talented young players on the roster but no established star to lead the way. Then they acquired Jimmy Butler, a 30 year old Top 10-15 caliber player and he's completely unlocked the potential of the young players on the team and the team improved immensely, not just because of the value added by Butler himself but because of his elevation of the young players on the roster.

A sports team is a curious blend of a business environment and a family. Coaches, regardless of their age, being father figures who'll show the way, give you insights, push you but still pick you up when you are down, is obvious - but also important is having older brother figures on the team, who'll both compete with you and pick up some of your slack as you make mistakes and show you the way. Your father figure may not be your actual father, and your older brother figure may not be your actual older brother, for some people the 'father figure' is actually the mother, but what's true is that they are very relevant in the development of young men.

Sorry for the tangent, I tend to do that.

Last edited:

Bloodbather

Established Member

I thought Koulibaly was very in the 15/16 season ( if I recall correctly). Then the following season he was extremely error prone, I havent watch Serie A regualrly for a season or two now. Koulibaly Reminds me of Mustafi, wins a lot of headers and challenges but always has a brain fart in him.

As for the Upamecano he looked woeful for France under 21s during the tournament

That's very, very disrespectful to Koulibaly. Mustafi isn't the quarter of the defender Koulibaly is.

Koulibaly is one of the world's best at headers and challenges, not merely decent at it, his positioning is very good and he's much better on the ball than he's usually given credit for. Just gives you confidence in defense, similar to VVD in that sense.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
If Koulibaly costs 70 mil and Upamecano 60 mil, you’d go Koulibaly?

We are going to lost 70m transfer budget and give up 40m of selling profit, a total lost of 110m in 5 years just from this deal, in exchange for an extremely tiny marginal difference of football ability between a world class player and another world class player.

Although I find that they are both playing at the same level, I will respect your judgement on both players.

But even with the ability difference you mentioned, the difference for their ability difference is worth a maximum of £30m to me.

That means if Koulibaly is free now and Upamecano price will rise from £60m to £90m in 5 years, I will think it’s logical to take the deal. Or similarly, if Koulibaly is worth £30m now and Upamecano is performing very averagely which his selling price stays the same in 5 years. Then I will accept the deal.

But Koulibaly is highly unlikely to cost that little and Upamecano is highly unlikely to perform bad in the future as he is a world class prospect. So the most logical approach is to buy Upamecano even if there exist a difference in ability as you’ve mentioned.

When you sign Koulibaly, even if you don't sell him for a profit, a player like him wins titles, cups and gets you back in the CL.

Upamecano, looks a serious talent but his injury record hasn't been great.

We really missed a gem by not signing VVD, who was the scout that said he wasn't good enough ... Steve Rowley?

MikeVinna

Established Member
I’d rather get a lefty in. If Umtiti is fit and unhappy with Barca in the summer he’d be my ideal signing. But I realise how unrealistic that sounds.

kopzilla

Always Negative
I remember Luiz played as a CDM or CM for a while in Chelsea...we can do the same ...replace Xhaka with Luiz in midfield & get a new CB or loan one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom