• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I have edited the post you quoted.
Didnt know that making a statement of fact would get you banned here.

Dude you could be a really valuable poster on here as you're clearly interested in the tactical side and put effort in to your posts about it and then post some really senseless stuff that just doesn't need to be said.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Good video.

Yeah great stuff, I’d also like to see how much of yesterday’s set up he keeps.

If that is his favoured formation you can sort of second guess what our transfer policy will be going forwards.

If he wants a midfielder who can drop in as a quasi third CB to build play you’ll need a ball dominant midfielder to replace Xhaka as only Guendouzi in our squad is similar.

Also as the video indicates, with Torreira being so pivotal in our attacking set up you’d like to see a midfielder who can break lines and speed up play but also press intelligently come in, so the Rabiot links would make sense.

Judging by how the CBs rotate around in possession I think Chambers will be a key defender this year seen as how comfortable he is at right back.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

If that is his favoured formation you can sort of second guess what our transfer policy will be going forwards.

If he wants a midfielder who can drop in as a quasi third CB to do state play you’ll need a ball dominant midfielder to replace Xhaka as only Guendouzi in our squad is similar.

Also as the video indicates, with Torreira being so pivotal in our attacking set up you’d like to see a midfielder who can break lines and speed up play but also press intelligently come in, so the Rabiot links would make sense.

Judging by how the CBs rotate around in possession I think Chambers will be a key defender this year seen as how comfortable he is at right back.
Lacazette and Aubameyang are clearly not the type of strikers Arteta likes. He wants a skillful striker with good teamwork, who can drop deep to create overload in the midfield, a false 9. To me, Gouiri is the perfect fit for this role.

For Xhaka replacement, we have to search for a good passer in the midfield, and he has to be defensively good enough to play as a defender as he drops deep. Weigl would be my pick as he has played in both position with strong passing ability.

As for Torreira’s position, we need someone with good passing quality and ability to protect the defensive line. We can either keep him or have Tonali playing in that role. Tonali is a much better passer and unlike most technical midfielders who are less capable in defending, he has more energy in him and actually not bad at defending in the midfield. @OnlyOne suggested Ruben Neves, I think he would be a very good fit for either of the Xhaka or Torreira role.

One advantage of using inverted fullbacks is that the fullbacks are now occupying the midfield position, it means Özil can push further up with less defensive duties (although he still need to help with pressing), which he is closer to the final third and can focus on attacking. Szoboszlai and Aouar should be someone we have to get if we want to move Özil on.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Lacazette and Aubameyang clearly isn’t the type of strikers Arteta likes. He wants a skillful striker with good teamwork, who can drop deep to create overload in the midfield, a false 9. To me, Gouiri is the perfect fit for this role.

For Xhaka replacement, we have to search for a good passer in the midfield, and to be defensively good enough to play in a defender role as he drops deep. Weigl would be my pick as he has played in both position with strong passing ability.

As for Torreira, we need good passing quality and ability to protect the defensive line. We can either keep him or have Tonali playing in that role. Tonali is a much better passer and unlike most technical midfielders who is less capable in defending, he has more energy in him and actually not bad at defending in the midfield.

Who?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

If he wants a midfielder who can drop in as a quasi third CB to build play you’ll need a ball dominant midfielder to replace Xhaka as only Guendouzi in our squad is similar.

Would Ruben Neves not be ideal for this role?

Could prize him away for Wolves but I assume he'll be very expensive.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
City spent 500 million to get their team competing the way it is.

I’m positive but realistic about been able to replica anything near what pep achieved.

Huge difference in clubs.

I understand why you'd feel like that but actually there's not much to say their approach is the only way or even the best way.

Most successful teams haven't got their with the buy whoever you want in every position approach

Liverpool have a mix of shrewd bargains (Milner, Wijnaldum, Robertson), home talent (TAA) and successful marquee signings (VVD, Allison, Keita)

Countless other teams have done the same. N
PSG or City look close to winning the CL, City aren't great in the league this season

say yes

forum master baiter
Took Arteta one game to fit Auba, Laca and Özil into a tactically coherent formation (with space for Pepe too). Something neither Wenger nor Emery managed to do with the trio.

Took one look at our desperate fullback situation and turned it into a strength, without leaving us exposed on the break.

Got the best out of Torreira. Got the best out of Xhaka. Dominated possession. More shots than the opponent. More xG than the opponent. Better looking than the opponent.

I cannot quite tell you how excited I am about this guy.

Last edited:

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
You have to understand that tactics in football game is not very realistic. And Guardiola is so much more than that.

Arteta needed that good few years to learn off him. To learn about his philosophy, tactical plans, individual players instructions, in match tactical adjustment, training methods, video/stats analysis skills on players/teams strengths/weaknesses.....

I’m a big fan of Guardiola, and I’m relieved that after seeing the first match, seems like Arteta is more pro Guardiola, rather than Wenger (no detailed tactics, just set a general philosophy and give players freedom) or Moyes (f**king defensive and boring).
Prove it

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Took Arteta one game to fit Auba, Laca and Özil into a tactically coherent formation (with space for Pepe too). Something neither Wenger nor Emery managed to do with the trio.

Took one look at our desperate fullback situation and turned it into a strength, without leaving us exposed on the break.

Got the best out of Torreira. Got the best out of Xhaka. Dominated possession. More shots than the opponent. More xG than the opponent. Better looking than the opponent.

I cannot quite tell you how excited I am about this guy.
Wenger started Auba Lacazette and Özil together... And it worked. What you on about.

say yes

forum master baiter
I’m a big fan of Guardiola, and I’m relieved that after seeing the first match, seems like Arteta is more pro Guardiola, rather than Wenger (no detailed tactics, just set a general philosophy and give players freedom) or Moyes (f**king defensive and boring).

Moyes is obviously a joke compared to the other two greats, but a hybrid of those three would be some manager :drool:

Guardiola’s footballing brain; Wenger’s hairline, people skills, and trust in youth; Moyes’s grit.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Ruben Neves would be perfect for this role

Neves is class but not even slightly realistic unfortunately, would cost more than Pepe. He is loyal to Mendes, Nuno and Wolves whose owners are richer than Kronke.

Easier said than done but we need to be finding the next Neves.

say yes

forum master baiter
Wenger started Auba Lacazette and Özil together... And it worked. What you on about.
He only started that trio once together. A loss away to Newcastle when he shunted Auba to the wing.

What are you on about?

Edit: once :lol:
Edit2: in fact, I don’t think he ever started them together :lol:

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Would Ruben Neves not be ideal for this role?

Could prize him away for Wolves but I assume he'll be very expensive.

Yeah exactly. Top player. He’s got an unbelievable range of passing, hits the long ball so quickly and accurately. He’s so good at picking up space in between the lines and dictating play, you forget he’s only 22.

Wolves are also very negative as a team as well, so he rarely has options to pick out in front of him, in a team who would look to dominate the ball think he’d be incredible.

Only mark against him is I think he’s a bit dodgy without the ball, he gives away a lot of silly fouls and midfielders can run off him quite easily. Obviously seen as Wolves sit in such a low block, he’s covered quite well there but it’s something to be aware of.

Like you say though, they’d want crazy money for him. Talking 60/70M because he really is frightening on the ball.

He has a very good scoring record for the youth French National team. Definitely fits the style of what Arteta wants.

Gouiri’s an interesting one, I’ve tried to watch him when I can but he’s barely featured outside of age group games for the French NT where he’s looked incredible.

I was hoping when they decided to keep him with the first team this year and sent Pintor on loan he’d feature a lot but with Dembele in red hot form it hasn’t happened. Maybe now with Depay and Reine-Adélaïde getting long term injuries, Garcia will reshuffle and he’ll get more game time.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah exactly. Top player. He’s got an unbelievable range of passing, hits the long ball so quickly and accurately. He’s so good at picking up space in between the lines and dictating play, you forget he’s only 22.

Wolves are also very negative as a team as well, so he rarely has options to pick out in front of him, in a team who would look to dominate the ball think he’d be incredible.

Only mark against him is I think he’s a bit dodgy without the ball, he gives away a lot of silly fouls and midfielders can run off him quite easily. Obviously seen as Wolves sit in such a low block, he’s covered quite well there but it’s something to be aware of.

Like you say though, they’d want crazy money for him. Talking 60/70M because he really is frightening on the ball.

Gouiri’s an interesting one, I’ve tried to watch him when I can but he’s barely featured outside of age group games for the French NT where he’s looked incredible.

I was hoping when they decided to keep him with the first team this year and sent Pintor on loan he’d feature a lot but with Dembele in red hot form it hasn’t happened. Maybe now with Depay and Reine-Adélaïde getting long term injuries, Garcia will reshuffle and he’ll get more game time.
Big fan of Dembele too, just not sure if he would fits well into Arteta system, but what a talent.
There is something in Pintor that I don’t like, seems his control, dribbling and final delivery is not quite on point.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Big fan of Dembele too, just not sure if he would fits well into Arteta system, but what a talent.
There is something in Pintor that I don’t like, seems his control, dribbling and final delivery is not quite on point.

Should've gone for Hwang, he’s going to tear it up at Wolves alongside Jimenez.

say yes

forum master baiter
Arsenal FC now does tactics.

EMzhj79WkAEIxBN

Inject it :drool:

Top Bottom