• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kia Joorabchian's Transfer Targets: January 2020

Which area of the pitch is the biggest priority to improve in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
That’s pure b*llocks, they’ll cut their losses right now and sell for 25M.

I’m probably the worst Atletico fan to ask seen as I love Tommy but I think he’s been totally misused by Simeone.

The main system of pressing we’ve come up against is teams matching our formation and pressing us high and marking man to man.

Often they’ll send blocks of four after whoever has the ball out on the byline, completely cutting out the passing lanes from the back four to the wide players as you can see below and completely choke their service. Lemar’s in the square just above the centre circle.

Alaves-high-wide-block-3.png

To negate this, the obvious strategy is to bring the wide players inside and create overloads in the middle to disrupt the press.

When we have say Koke or Saúl on the flanks this isn’t an issue as they’re more than happy playing in the middle. Lemar though struggles in the middle of the pitch, he’s a winger who is great at beating his man and putting lethal balls into the box or running into space.

Playing such a rigid attacking pattern means he’s completely useless for us, he hasn’t been great but in the right system still think there’s a great player in there.
He doesn’t strike me as someone who’s great at beating his man tbh. I think he’d be perfect as the LCM in Arteta’s system with his play making and crossing abilities similar to how Pep uses KDB on the right half space.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Not too keen on Lemar, but there's certainly talent there, it's not like it's all lost over night.

Anyhow, I would only back this move if it was for a reasonable low fee, if you spend big you could get players that impose much less risk

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

350k for a 10 year old?
Sorry I badly worried that. He was with City from the age of 10 and then Celtic played City reserves in a bounce game and Celtic went straight and signed him as an 18 year old for 350k.

City have some talent in their academy Foden, Sancho, Diaz, Frimpong hopefully Mikel has been on the phone to some of their current crop.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
With it being the off season in South America, you would hope Edu would have some good players from that neck of the wood lined up in case we need a quick replacement for one of ours. Otherwise you'd have to wonder what we are paying him for?

Goonger

He doesn’t strike me as someone who’s great at beating his man tbh. I think he’d be perfect as the LCM in Arteta’s system with his play making and crossing abilities similar to how Pep uses KDB on the right half space.

Not sure he'd be my first choice either, but this is exactly where I'd play him as well. He actually can have a decent shot on him as well so would maybe add a bit of a goal threat and dynamism that we don't have in there.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

With it being the off season in South America, you would hope Edu would have some good players from that neck of the wood lined up in case we need a quick replacement for one of ours. Otherwise you'd have to wonder what we are paying him for?
Edu already paid for himself with Martinelli. Further proof you don't need to spend 50m to sign a good player.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He’s shown at Atletico he lacks the overall game to play inside, his short passing doesn’t really stand up to opponent pressing.

He’s all about impact and bursting out with the ball, I think there’d be a role for him on our left.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Edu already paid for himself with Martinelli. Further proof you don't need to spend 50m to sign a good player.
That wasn't Edu but our Spanish scout. Edu needs to now do his part, since we don't have 50mil to spent on good players right now.

Goonger

He’s shown at Atletico he lacks the overall game to play inside, his short passing doesn’t really stand up to opponent pressing.

He’s all about impact and bursting out with the ball, I think there’d be a role for him on our left.

Has he ever played inside as part of a 3 Rex? I have the impression they tend to stick to a more rigid 442 system? I'm not doubting you by the way, as you will have seen much more of him than others, but Im not sure attacking / creative players thrive in a Simeone system. It's just when you look at his highlights videos & what I can remember from his earlier Monaco / France days you could imagine him thriving in the half space that De Bruyne thrives in for City. Able to drive forward & threaten centrally, but also able to drift out wide and deliver from there. Can imagine a great link with Tierney and the other wide player. My main concern would be his physicality, especially if Torreira is 1 of the middle 3.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Has he ever played inside as part of a 3 Rex? I have the impression they tend to stick to a more rigid 442 system? I'm not doubting you by the way, as you will have seen much more of him than others, but Im not sure attacking / creative players thrive in a Simeone system. It's just when you look at his highlights videos & what I can remember from his earlier Monaco / France days you could imagine him thriving in the half space that De Bruyne thrives in for City. Able to drive forward & threaten centrally, but also able to drift out wide and deliver from there. Can imagine a great link with Tierney and the other wide player. My main concern would be his physicality, especially if Torreira is 1 of the middle 3.

Often he’ll drift centrally playing off Simeone’s front two and make it a narrow 4-3-3. He clearly feels comfortable on the byline because when he drifts inside he tends to struggle a lot.

As you say it’s a rigid system but I think the club expected another Griezmann who could press from the left side of a four and drift up front narrowly but that’s just not his game at all.

Think there’s a narrow scope to his game which he’s good at and that doesn’t fit Atletico at all.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Is this the same guy that took over as Head Scout in place of Sven??

I'm still a bit bummed we didn't look further afield for a Sven replacement...
Yes we didn't because raul want to use his scouting network

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Really wanted Kondogbia in 2013, anyone follow his career recently?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Is this the same guy that took over as Head Scout in place of Sven??

I'm still a bit bummed we didn't look further afield for a Sven replacement...

Francis Cagigao. Although actually he's Arsenal's English head scout. Born and raised in London. Played for Arsenal's youth. He'd just been living and scouting in Spain for a long time (long enough to have steered Arsenal toward Lauren and Fabregas).

sykesy69

Francis Cagigao. Although actually he's Arsenal's English head scout. Born and raised in London. Played for Arsenal's youth. He'd just been living and scouting in Spain for a long time (long enough to have steered Arsenal toward Lauren and Fabregas).
Which is what I'm saying... That's his long list of accomplishments and that's who we put in charge, rather than someone who has a better rep of finding gems!!

Dortmund moved to a model of finding gems and selling at the right time for profit. Whereas we seem to drifting with no form of a plan insight other than make CL buying mid/high level players with little resale value.

We have a proper coach now, so would love to have seen that with a Sven type leading the recruitment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom