• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The way I see it, he's an old fashioned winger and while we may see flashes of brilliance, he's not suited to today's level of premier league football.
If that's the case, how is it possible we went all in for him?
You can risk with a couple of cheaper targets like Luiz, Douzi etc., but investing 70m and selling Iwobi without being sure that guy will fit is just unprofessional and plain stupid. Not even sure Emery wanted him because he wasn't a starter for him either.

say yes

forum master baiter
He’ll get his chance.

Mikel’s currently implementing a system where it’s important that wide players maintain width, so Nelson is a better option.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Not sure what he's doing that 3 successive managers aren't putting him in the team, but it can't be a coincidence.

I'm not expecting him to set the PL on fire in his first season but he can't get ahead of a youngster..

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
Can see him been sold this summer.

For his and the clubs sake.

Its clear he’s not part of plans and I’m sure he wants out too.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He’ll get his chance.

Mikel’s currently implementing a system where it’s important that wide players maintain width, so Nelson is a better option.
I think it's also that without Bellerin, Nelson is the more naturally inclined to be disciplined and track back. That clearly isn't Pepe's game and with the pressure on him to score due to his price tag, it's perhaps mentally a bit tougher to concern yourself with the defensive side of the ball.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
It's not looking good, is it. We're over half way through the season, and he doesn't look like he's settled or playing any better than he did in his first few games. Two managers now (three if you count Freddie), who are hesitant to give him minutes, and you can see exactly why.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Very bizarre

Does he just jog about in training to something?

scytheavatar

Established Member
If that's the case, how is it possible we went all in for him?
You can risk with a couple of cheaper targets like Luiz, Douzi etc., but investing 70m and selling Iwobi without being sure that guy will fit is just unprofessional and plain stupid. Not even sure Emery wanted him because he wasn't a starter for him either.

This is what happens when your transfers are decided by a bunch of businessmen rather than a proper Technical Director. Who knows what attributes to look for in deciding a big signing that can make it. Why did you think your Bayern and PSG all turned their nose at the idea of signing Pepe at the prices being asked?

Last edited:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Still holding faith in him but it is becoming somewhat concerning, I would have thought someone like Pepe would love training, small games in tight spaces etc

If he was to be sold in the summer I'm not even sure who we sell him too, recouping the fee would be very difficult, the English clubs wont be wanting him, Spain's big boys will pass, Italian clubs will offer €20mil, PSG?

I'd prefer if we give him another season, as everyone points out the talent appears to be there, at the moment he just looks like a street balla' trying to play the pro game.

Polar Bear

This is now 3 managers who have not liked him... Emery, Ljungberg and Arteta.. its clear something is wrong with the guy, I can't believe its a coincidence.. all of them not liking him.

All 3 were very very reluctant to play Pepe.. there is clearly something wrong with him.. either his personality or actual football ability.. maybe a mix of both.

TheEconomist

Established Member
This is now 3 managers who have not liked him... Emery, Ljungberg and Arteta.. its clear something is wrong with the guy, I can't believe its a coincidence.. all of them not liking him.

All 3 were very very reluctant to play Pepe.. there is clearly something wrong with him.. either his personality or actual football ability.. maybe a mix of both.
Agree. Although I have to say it surely can't be his footballing ability. From what we've heard it just sounds like he isn't disciplined enough and doesn't work hard enough especially given the makeshift full backs we are using who need protection. That being said we have to remember he's still getting used to a new, more physically demanding league

Polar Bear

Agree. Although I have to say it surely can't be his footballing ability. From what we've heard it just sounds like he isn't disciplined enough and doesn't work hard enough especially given the makeshift full backs we are using who need protection. That being said we have to remember he's still getting used to a new, more physically demanding league

I think its probably a lot to do with not being disciplined enough, because I noticed in many matches when we were losing he was doing all these little tricks and flicks, its ok if we're like 4-0 up, but those particular matches we were losing and its the last thing we needed.. ok if the trick works and we get a goal then thats great but it never ended in goals, just ended up with it going out for throw-ins or him getting tackled.

Do you remember the Sheffield United game? I remember in that match we were losing and playing awful and he kept doing all these silly little flicks and the Sheff Utd defenders were tackling him easily, they robbed him off the ball every single time, not even once did the little trick skill work.. it was just beyond frustrating to watch.

sammy89

Very bizarre

Does he just jog about in training to something?

His problems are obviously the usual flair player issues: overdribbling and not tracking back. Possible mental issues from relocation also. On the evidence of things, he's most likely uncoachable and we probably have to take a loss in the summer

Axel9090

Okay fine, lets say hes not good enough to start, the guy isnt even averaging 10 mins of football across our last 3 prem games. He couldve been subbed on against Everton but he wasnt. What Im saying is he isnt even being used fairly as a sub. Training is one thing, but enough game time in prem matches is another.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

A new player with a hefty price tag(and the pressure that comes with it) making a big jump up in competition, playing in a club that has been more dysfunctional this season than at any point in the last 60 odd years is probably going to hit a few bumps. It's extraordinarily presumptuous to suggest that because he hasn't hit the ground running in an environment where nobody is really performing to their full ability and thus is not featuring as often as we'd all hope somehow means that the managers don't like him. Did you forget that he took a series of knocks less than 2 weeks ago? Perhaps he's not at full fitness. The guy has said all of the right things and taken responsibility for his slow start and shows flashes of quality whenever he does get the opportunity to play.

Fabinho featured far less than probably expected the first half of last season for Liverpool, not because Klopp didn't like him but because it was best for the team at the time to bed him in slowly. It would be more concerning if the team was flying and he was coming on and stinking the pitch up and ruining play. We actually tend to look more dangerous with him on the pitch but given our calamitous backslide and the complete inability pre Arteta to manage anything resembling cohesive play, we've not seen anyone really look great for any extended period of time. The guy deserves time to get settled just as the manager deserves time to find solutions to problems years in the making that have all come home to roost.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

3 managers didn’t play him... one being Emery and 2 more who haven’t managed a win in their managerial career. What’s your point?

TorontoGooner76

@Batman , good point with the comparison to Fabinho. I even remember that there was talk about him wanting a move due to being frustrated with his lack of playing time early on at Liverpool.

However, even today I noticed in his all cameo appearance that he was just casually jogging back inside our own half not even really attempting to pick anyone up.

I'm sure he isn't enjoying himself, but his attitude looks to be horrible from where we sit and it is not helping matters. Top priced talent or not, when things aren't going so well you need to give the manager other reasons to play you. He is really not giving any as far as I can see when he does play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom