• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dayot Upamecano

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This does seem like a football manager fantasy.

We should buy a premier League ready established CB

GunnerShy

Luiz, Sokratis, Holding, Mustafi, Chambers.

Next season Saliba.

We aren't buying a CB.

The money needs to be out into the midfield first

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I'd happily spend 45m on Dunk. Sell Mustafi and Mavrapanos and put the 20m extra towards a very good prem-proven cb in Dunk. I haven't seen enough of Upamecano to know whether he is worth the quoted fees.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Luiz, Sokratis, Holding, Mustafi, Chambers.

Next season Saliba.

We aren't buying a CB.

The money needs to be out into the midfield first

But the players we have in the middle even without Xhaka are better than our CB's. Holding is the only class CB out of those 5 and he's hardly played since coming back. Ideally we can spend big on a CB eg £50m and get Xhaka replacement in the summer.

GunnerShy

But the players we have in the middle even without Xhaka are better than our CB's. Holding is the only class CB out of those 5 and he's hardly played since coming back. Ideally we can spend big on a CB eg £50m and get Xhaka replacement in the summer.
No Arsenal fan who has watched a match in recent memory would argue we couldn't use another quality CB. But we won't spend any limited funds we have reinforcing that area when, if we lose Xhaka we will be short in midfield.

But for injuries, I think we are ok at CB if we continue to defend properly as a team.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
No Arsenal fan who has watched a match in recent memory would argue we couldn't use another quality CB. But we won't spend any limited funds we have reinforcing that area when, if we lose Xhaka we will be short in midfield.

But for injuries, I think we are ok at CB if we continue to defend properly as a team.

Did you watch us defend properly yesterday?

GunnerShy

Did you watch us defend properly yesterday?
I thought we were ok if I'm honest. I saw one shot on target until the Leno error. Thought we marshalled them fine. The way we kept kicking it back to them to recycle and attack again towards the end was our but that was not defending

GDeep™

League is very weak
Chambers and Holding are interesting, think they’ll leave ASAP if Arteta told them he doesn’t fancy them. 20-25M for each is a decent estimate I’m guessing.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I thought we were ok if I'm honest. I saw one shot on target until the Leno error. Thought we marshalled them fine. The way we kept kicking it back to them to recycle and attack again towards the end was our but that was not defending

I'm not saying all our problems are in defence, I just think its our biggest problem area. Only 5 teams in the PL have conceded more goals than us, we need some quality. In the middle (if Xhaka goes) we have Guen, Willock, Cebellos, Torreira, Smith Rowe & AMN if needed, they are better than the shower at the back.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

They cost minimum 60M. Leicester wanted Dunk to replace McGuire and Brighton quoted them 45M plus. He’s 29 next season, doesn’t make sense to invest that much in an older player.

There must be some options that are neither 20 or 29 surely??

HBL

Established Member
Yeah, let’s have the chuckle brothers back in action. Luiz - Thiago. The dream.
This is a rubbish post. Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders this decade and is still playing at an extremely high level, as shown by PSG's defensive record with/without him over the last 12-18 months. Won the Copa America last summer conceding one goal throughout the tournament, not sure there would be a better player for someone like Saliba to learn from. A player that isn't particularly tall, relatively quick but not rapid yet has the 3rd highest percentage for duels won this decade, absolute master at reading the game. Anyway we have no chance at getting him, he'll either extend at PSG or go back to Milan/Brazil.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
There must be some options that are neither 20 or 29 surely??
In the PL or general? Sure there are, it’s another thing identifying and signing them. Our club has been poor at that in recent years.

Klopp got Matip for cheap, signed Robertson, signed Gomez. Arsenal sent Keown to scout McGuire at Hull, he said he told the club that McGuire is the best English CB in the league, yet we didn’t sign him.

We picked up Sokratis instead of Soyuncu. Signed Kola just because he was at the end of his deal and free I think, signed Luiz who was told by Frank he won’t play ahead of kids like Zouma and Tomori.

Only hope now is that Arteta and his team are able to guide Raul and Edu in signing the right players.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

In the PL or general? Sure there are, it’s another thing identifying and signing them. Our club has been poor at that in recent years.

Klopp got Matip for cheap, signed Robertson, signed Gomez. Arsenal sent Keown to scout McGuire at Hull, he said he told the club that McGuire is the best English CB in the league, yet we didn’t sign him.

We picked up Sokratis instead of Soyuncu. Signed Kola just because he was at the end of his deal and free I think, signed Luiz who was told by Frank he won’t play ahead of kids like Zouma and Tomori.

Only hope now is that Arteta and his team are able to guide Raul and Edu in signing the right players.

Recruitment has been so mismanaged

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
This is a rubbish post. Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders this decade and is still playing at an extremely high level, as shown by PSG's defensive record with/without him over the last 12-18 months. Won the Copa America last summer conceding one goal throughout the tournament, not sure there would be a better player for someone like Saliba to learn from. A player that isn't particularly tall, relatively quick but not rapid yet has the 3rd highest percentage for duels won this decade, absolute master at reading the game. Anyway we have no chance at getting him, he'll either extend at PSG or go back to Milan/Brazil.

Thiago is done, he's the sort of signing United would make and we'd laugh our asses of.

It's all fine and dandy at PSG, you put him here in our mess and he'll get found out just like Luiz did.

Top Bottom