• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Austrian

Fans hating on xhaka just always made me a little bit furious as it is not justified. I'm of the opinion that people who rate him so lowly either only watch highlights of Arsenal games or just don't fully comprehend the tactical side of football.
Analysing players in a vacuum makes little sense as you have to look at players as part of the whole.

Mertesacker was the extreme example of that who was constantly critized for being too slow/immobile.
But that only became a problem because the team was disjointed and left him isolated on an island at times, highlightling his lack of pace.
In a team that worked as an unit the opposite happened and his ability to read the game and use his physicality made him a topclass cb.

Dude.... Xhaka has misplaced so many passes and been at fault for so many goals. Your first paragraph is just insanely twisted. It’s funny to see people with zero credentials who think they know better than everyone. He hasn’t been the midfield “rock” that we expected him to be. You’re seriously saying you’ve been happy with his play?

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
I think Xhaka can really benefit playing in a more disciplined team. Arteta could bring the best out of him. I’d like to think there is a talented footballer in there, but I don’t think he’s proven that to us.

On Xhaka’s role in the booing incident. I’ve always held that it was wrong to abuse our own players. But I think a key thing Arteta said was that the fans will respond to the player’s behavior and body language on the pitch. I don’t think people went to the game that day intending to boo Xhaka. I think it was related to his behavior and mutual frustration from players and the fans boiling over. I believe we can move on and he can still have a role to play in our team. At least until summer.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I think Xhaka can really benefit playing in a more disciplined team. Arteta could bring the best out of him. I’d like to think there is a talented footballer in there, but I don’t think he’s proven that to us.
Think that applies to most of the squad. If we continue to play the way Arteta sets us up all players will benefit as long as they work hard and are active.

As Xhaka isn't especially fast or technical he will benefit from the compact shape. He will have shorter to run and more support around him and will not need to grapple as much as before in defense. Still think he is a too limited player (being that one footed isn't great in CM) and wouldn't mind him being sold, but he is playing better in the new setup for sure. As has the whole team.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
You probably were against Arteta as well due to "zero credentials"?

Thinking to know better is for the stupid, the wise realize everything is relative

giphy.gif

Bosniak Gooner

Let's calm down before he gets dispossessed or makes a goal-conceeding error. I think we are getting ahead of ourselves, major squad improvements are needed especially in CM and CB.

OmegaOs

Great performance from him and a fantastic engine on him too. Still think we can do better though. Let's not get sentimental here, it's Xhaka, we know what he's capable of (good and bad). I would love for us to sign Partey to play with or bench Xhaka.

OmegaOs

Great performance from him and a fantastic engine on him too. Still think we can do better though. Let's not get sentimental here, it's Xhaka, we know what he's capable of (good and bad). I would love for us to sign Partey to play with or bench Xhaka.
But yeah I still want him sold

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Going by what Arteta said it sounds like he is staying, I'm not fussed, if he keeps this form up he's a quality player, just needs good guidance & a bit of confidence up. Still, one thing I'd like him to start doing again, start backing himself, if he has the opportunity, shoot. He's got a good shot on him & you never know what can happen. Deflection & goes in, we get a corner & a goal off that or he could just do a screamer & goes in top corner. We shoot, more likely to score.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
If Hertha Berlin stop being cheapskates and throw us £35 million then yeah I don't mind doing business in January, provided we use that money on an upgrade. Otherwise, what's the point?

They thought they had us by the balls. Maybe that’s the game Arteta is playing; Xhaka is staying unless they pay up.

Jakarta

No way we sell this guy in Jan. The thought of Guendouzi starting for us until the summer gives me a headache.

We def need to upgrade on him in the summer tho. He lacks the athleticism and brains to become a top player in the prem.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
As others have said, yes he looks better with more structure and a clear plan, as do every player in the team

That's doesn't mean there aren't other CMs who'd perform better in our team.

Not having to go through turmoil in January is undoubtedly a positive

@Kysus stop pretending to be Buddah

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Everybody seems to forget that stupid foul at the end of the game. He had a good game & even in that he made a typical error.
His partner in midfield is the one who's excellent & not him. Torreira is making things easy for him. Yeah sure keep him till the end of the season as it’s hard to buy players in january.
But don't you dare start thinking he's good enough as a costly mistake is just around the corner.
& nowdays his blind worshippers are more annoying than his play on the field, I guess that's something positive

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Now that's a bit exxag.

His passing has always been there, under Wenger it was the discipline and errors that f*cked him, under Unai the less said the better but he was still spraying the ball around.

Xhaka was unfortunate enough to have two managers in a row who created systems that didn't do him any favours. It made him a massive scape goat but he's always been a top passer.
Honestly mate I don’t doubt that he is a top passer, I just saw him use his range less and less under Emery. It always annoyed me and I couldn’t figure out why, perhaps he just didn’t have an option. I personally think it was coached out of him and Arteta knows he has this ability so the first thing he did is work with him on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom