• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nathan Ake

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Didnt we supposedly get a top scout from from Leicester after they won the title?
We got the wrong one. Reports were that we wanted Steve Walsh who ended up at Everton and didn't do much anyway, we got Ben Wrigglesworth who left us to join Wolves when Emery brought in Victor Manas.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I’d rather go for Mings for this price.

I understand your point but Ake is a really good defender tbf and just the defender Arteta would like cause of his passing abilities and pace. I would take him. by the way also tons of experience in the EPL.

senna

City will get him if they really want him but I don’t see how Chelsea’s clause affects us that much?

If anything, it will lower Bournemouth’s asking price (to c.£40m) because they’re already bound to accept that fee from another club (if Chelsea use the clause).

Think we’re actually more likely to get Ake if it’s a straight choice between us and Chelsea at £40m, as opposed to us being the only club interested and Bournemouth quoting us £60m.

Agree with this - our best bet is if Chelsea bid the release clause, then Bournemouth should accept anything over £40m as its more money for them if he chooses us over Chelsea. Which given the arteta effect he may do.

If its just us bidding or us & city they will hold out for £60m at least.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We got the wrong one. Reports were that we wanted Steve Walsh who ended up at Everton and didn't do much anyway, we got Ben Wrigglesworth who left us to join Wolves when Emery brought in Victor Manas.

Steve Walsh comes off as a bit of a fraud tbh, despite him telling everyone that Everton wouldn’t let him sign Robertson, Maguire, Haaland and Jonny Evans he still had Carte Blanche and fumbled the bag.

Made some good buys in his first year like Calvert-Lewin for 1.5M and Lookman and Gueye but offset that by spending 60M on Bolasie, Schneiderlin and Ashley Williams.

The next year he then went on to spend almost 200M on Sigurdsson, Michael Keane, Pickford, Klaasen, Tosun, Walcott, Vlasic, Onyekuru, Sandro, Rooney and Cuco Martina who have all been disappointing at best.

The fact Leicester have continued to pick out gems in the transfer market gives me “boss taking credit for underlings work” vibes.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Beat me too it, if two similar clubs come in one being Chelsea I reckon he could reject them, I actually think Chelsea could be the least favourite to sign him, he's been there before and cast off twice, would he really want to go back?

They are also a project like us, Utd, Tottenham, if Arteta carries on we look interesting.

I don't agree that Chelsea are least favourite.

They aren't the same club he left behind. Lampard is a much more attractive proposition because he's the first real Chelsea coach to give youth a chance (admittedly the transfer ban had a lot to do with it).

He knows a lot of the players and staff there and probably feels he has unfinished business.

GDeep™

League is very weak
We got the wrong one. Reports were that we wanted Steve Walsh who ended up at Everton and didn't do much anyway
That’s because they didn’t listen to him. He done an interview with the Athletic where he said he had deal agreed for Andy Robertson and Harry Mcguire to join Everton from Hull for 20M but they rejected him. He also agreed a deal for 4M to sign Haaland, his dad came to Everton, but again Everton said no.

He must have got some stuff wrong though as Everton let him go.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Steve Walsh comes off as a bit of a fraud tbh, despite him telling everyone that Everton wouldn’t let him sign Robertson, Maguire, Haaland and Jonny Evans he still had Carte Blanche and fumbled the bag.

Made some good buys in his first year like Calvert-Lewin for 1.5M and Lookman and Gueye but offset that by spending 60M on Bolasie, Schneiderlin and Ashley Williams.

The next year he then went on to spend almost 200M on Sigurdsson, Michael Keane, Pickford, Klaasen, Tosun, Walcott, Vlasic, Onyekuru, Sandro, Rooney and Cuco Martina who have all been disappointing at best.

The fact Leicester have continued to pick out gems in the transfer market gives me “boss taking credit for underlings work” vibes.
I agree, although Everton’s strategy is a lot different since Moshiri has invested as they’ve really tried to make higher profile signings to cement top 6 status. Didn’t he grab Digne too, who’s been phenomenal? I think Sigurdsson has been good for them but definitely not worth the price and Pickford and Keane are good business but overall what a disappointment for that outlay.

Onyekuru was linked with us and my god am I relieved we dodged that hype train.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

That’s because they didn’t listen to him. He done an interview with the Athletic where he said he had deal agreed for Andy Robertson and Harry Mcguire to join Everton from Hull for 20M but they rejected him. He also agreed a deal for 4M to sign Haaland, his dad came to Everton, but again Everton said no.

Yeah I’ve seen that and it’s tough as it’s coming from his perspective and we’ll never really know what truly happened behind the scenes. He was let go when Everton brought in Marcel Brands who was also recently let go.

Everton is like West Ham in the sense that they desperately need a structure in place to support the manager from a staff and executive level. The turnover and philosophy change has been ridiculous and has led to the instability and downturn for both clubs despite the backing.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Saw that interview, convenient he’s said all this three years later when those players have become good while he spaffed 300M up the wall on utter dross.

LG10

Solid mid table cb which is better than what we have tbf. Would be nice to have a left footed cb, this would be smart business

#Davido

Can’t see it.

This guy seems destined to head back to Chelsea. He’s decent, though at 5’11 his height isn’t ideal for a centre-back in the PL.

Vantastico

Screenshot_2020-01-04-13-51-36.png

Looking at our positioning from this image (taken from a video about our tactical breakdown), I would be very happy to bring in a fast centre back who's also physically strong and decent on the ball, like Aké.

It's not like he's a complete slouch in the air either. I reckon his 1,80 will do just fine next to a 1,92m giant like Saliba in the middle.

I think he is at a perfect age to join and I like that he has tons of Premier League experience. It won't be easy to bring him in but I would be more than satisfied with Aké.

One thing I would like to remark, which, I'm not completely sure whether it should be considered a net positive or negative about him, is that he probably won't play many international games behind De Ligt and Van Dijk. On one hand it means he won't be a major injury risk returning from international breaks, which is awesome. On the other hand, it's usually good brand exposure and generally good for a player's development to play games at the international stage.

Just something to keep in mind. All in all, would prefer him playing at the back for us instead of Sokratis or Luiz.

say yes

forum master baiter
Screenshot_2020-01-04-13-51-36.png

Looking at our positioning from this image (taken from a video about our tactical breakdown), I would be very happy to bring in a fast centre back who's also physically strong and decent on the ball, like Aké.

It's not like he's a complete slouch in the air either. I reckon his 1,80 will do just fine next to a 1,92m giant like Saliba in the middle.

I think he is at a perfect age to join and I like that he has tons of Premier League experience. It won't be easy to bring him in but I would be more than satisfied with Aké.

One thing I would like to remark, which, I'm not completely sure whether it should be considered a net positive or negative about him, is that he probably won't play many international games behind De Ligt and Van Dijk. On one hand it means he won't be a major injury risk returning from international breaks, which is awesome. On the other hand, it's usually good brand exposure and generally good for a player's development to play games at the international stage.

Just something to keep in mind. All in all, would prefer him playing at the back for us instead of Sokratis or Luiz.
Formation when we’re attacking under Arteta has been much more of a 2-3-5, with Xhaka in midfield not defence.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom