• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Being endorsed by Coxy, my actual drug :drool:

Tried to copy but on my phone and it’s extremely detailed / diagram heavy, so doesn’t copy well at all.

Best to wait until someone pastes a proper copy on reddit or something. Or you could just subscribe (well worth it IMO) if you want the full hit of tactical geekery now.
The Athletic is worth it. It’s a great publication. Great articles with good tactical information.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Yeah it’s elite. Can barely keep up with all the football content, and their American sports offering (I love the NFL) is insane.

Their new arsenal podcast is also my go-to for following Arsenal now. Ian Stone from the Tuesday club hosts, with Lee Dixon, Gunnerblog and Amy Lawrence. Would highly recommend if you aren’t already listening.
Lee Dixon is a bit talky though. He really sucks up all the air when he goes on about something.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Personally, I don’t believe this is the type of team that Arteta envisions. Right now, he’s making the most of our situation with the players at our disposal. I find it hard to believe that a La Masia graduate and a student of Pep, wouldn’t move to a 4-3-3 but I don’t think we have the midfielders for that. I reckon when Özil’s contract is up, he’ll shift to a 3 man midfield or even as soon as the next preseason.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Personally, I don’t believe this is the type of team that Arteta envisions. Right now, he’s making the most of our situation with the players at our disposal. I find it hard to believe that a La Masia graduate and a student of Pep, wouldn’t move to a 4-3-3 but I don’t think we have the midfielders for that. I reckon when Özil’s contract is up, he’ll shift to a 3 man midfield or even as soon as the next preseason.
In modern tactics, starting formation is just a reference of how a team would set up when defending.

When attacking, players would be given instructions on how they should move. So players would occupy a different set of space than where they should be on a starting formation.

For example, you can start with a 4-3-3, and end up something like a 2-3-5 field occupation in the attacking phase. Or you can achieve the same field occupation with a starting formation of a 4-4-2 lineup.

And this field occupation can be constantly changing during a game. When your opponent is outnumbering your central midfield, you may want to tuck in a winger/fullback, or drop a striker deep to overload your central area. Sometimes people refer this to the manager changing the formation multiple times in a match, but in fact, it’s just a decision to change the field occupation to give you a numerical advantage in certain area of the pitch.
In terms of results, it’s been a mixed bag for Mikel Arteta so far – a draw against Bournemouth, a defeat to Chelsea and then a victory over Manchester United.

But in terms of performances, it’s been almost entirely positive. Arteta has been in charge for less than a fortnight, and hasn’t had many training sessions with his squad amongst almost incessant fixtures over the Christmas period, but Arsenal already have a clearly-defined identity under the Spaniard.

There are three obvious improvements from the Unai Emery days: there’s a defined system, the side’s playmakers are being fielded in their best positions and getting on the ball regularly, and the pressing is considerably more intense.

In terms of formation, Arsenal are — on paper — playing a 4-2-3-1. In reality, they’re playing a very compact 4-4-2 in the defensive phase, which is routine for sides playing in a 4-2-3-1, but doing something very different when they have the ball. Arsenal are morphing into a 2-3-5, which is unsurprisingly reminiscent of how Pep Guardiola often formats Manchester City, and also not entirely dissimilar from what Jose Mourinho is attempting to do with Tottenham.

Arteta’s approach is similar to that of Mourinho, in that it involves him pushing one full-back aggressively forward on the overlap to become a fifth forward, while the opposite full-back tucks inside. While Mourinho’s second full-back becomes an extra centre-back, Arteta is using Guardiola’s ‘half-back’ policy, pushing him infield to become an extra central midfielder.

Here’s a good example of that system, from early in the 1-1 draw at Bournemouth. Lucas Torreira (No 11) has the ball in the centre of midfield. To his left is Granit Xhaka, notionally his only partner in the 4-2-3-1. But to his right is Ainsley Maitland-Niles (No 15), having moved infield from right-back.

1a.png

Arteta’s intention here is to guard against opponents counter-attacking quickly through Arsenal’s lines if there’s a turnover of possession, and forming this narrow trio offers good protection for the defence. It also suits both Maitland-Niles, a reluctant full-back who considers himself more of a midfielder, and the left-footed Xhaka, who is comfortable towards that side of the pitch.

Maitland-Niles played that role most overtly against Bournemouth, a little more conventionally against Chelsea before playing somewhere between the two roles against United. This situation, with David Luiz playing a long pass downfield, shows the positioning of Maitland-Niles and Xhaka, again either side of Torreira.

1Q.png

This 2-3 formation allows for Arsenal to use an effective front five without sacrificing defensive structure. Here’s another example from the Bournemouth game – again, Maitland-Niles and Xhaka are either side of Torreira, and the two centre-backs are in position…

1d.png

… and as the move develops and the camera pans forward, the front five becomes clear.

On the right, Reiss Nelson played as a conventional winger. Özil, the No 10, was given a defined inside-right role, always receiving the ball in that pocket of space. Alexandre Lacazette leads the line, while Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is given license to move inside and become a second striker in an inside-left position, thanks to the aggressive overlapping of Bukayo Saka. A little like Maitland-Niles, Saka’s best position is somewhat undefined — he’s somewhere between a full-back and a winger, and therefore this overlapping role suits him well.

1e.png

And Arsenal’s main route of attack against Bournemouth was getting Saka over on the far side. His end product was disappointing, but there were various situations that justified the use of the system, like when Özil drifted inside from the right and found him on the overlap…

7a.png

… and also when Xhaka played good forward passes for Saka to run onto, with four targets in the middle…

7b.png

7c.png

Here’s an alternative perspective, from the second half – again, an obvious midfield three and a front five, with Saka and Nelson hugging the touchlines and stretching the play across the entire width of the pitch.

1g.png

This formation contributed to the clearest chance Arsenal created against Bournemouth, when Bournemouth’s defence became so stretched to cope with Arsenal’s attack that there was an alarming space between the centre-backs, allowing David Luiz to thread a pass through to Lacazette, whose shot was stopped by a last-ditch block.

1i.png

And the front five was obvious for Arsenal’s equaliser – Özil’s touch back for Nelson prompted a shot which was deflected into the path of Aubameyang to turn home at the far post.

1h.png

The front five was also obvious for Arsenal’s opener against Manchester United on New Year’s Day. This time it was Sead Kolasinac playing as the overlapping left-back, and Nicolas Pepe as the permanent right-winger, but the shape was identical. Here, with Kolasinac making a run inside Aubameyang and collecting a pass in behind the defence, his cut-back found its way through to Pepe at the far post.

1N.png

That system was by design rather than accident — two minutes later they were in exactly the same shape, with Pepe again wanting the ball at the far post.

1O.png

And here’s further evidence of the front five: Pepe has two options of a pass to the left, with Aubameyang free, and Kolasinac again sprinting forward down the outside.

7H.png

In terms of individuals, the performances of Özil have been particularly promising. Whereas the German was in and out of the side — and sometimes the match-day squad —under Emery, his former team-mate Arteta evidently appreciates his quality. Not only has Özil been handed an important role in the side, Arsenal have continually been able to find him between the lines. The passing of David Luiz has been useful here — few Premier League defenders are so adept at breaking the lines with forward passes. Here’s a good example from the early stages against Bournemouth.

2a.png

2b.png

But the key player in Özil’s improvement has been Torreira, handed the key role at the base of Arsenal’s midfield. He’s continually fizzed passes into Özil in that inside-right position, with this example against Bournemouth showing how Özil’s positioning has pulled the opposition left-back inside and created space for Nelson on the outside.

2c.png

2d.png

Often, the amount of space Özil has found himself in has been extraordinary…

3a.png

3b.png

Perhaps the best example of the Torreira-Özil relationship, though, came just eight minutes into the Arteta reign. Not only did Torreira have the confidence to receive the ball with his back to play in a dangerous position…

3x.png

… he also received the ball in the right manner to turn and play it into Özil on the run…

3y.png

… and, sure enough, there’s the four other components in that front five —Nelson and Saka stretching the play, Lacazette running into the gap between the centre-backs and Aubameyang moving into that inside-left position.

3z.png

This neat move against Chelsea, with Özil dummying Maitland-Niles’ pass and letting it run into the path of the onrushing Torreira, also hinted that Arsenal’s two most creative players are on the same wavelength.

3d.png

Another positive has been Arsenal’s pressing. Against Bournemouth there was great energy about their play, getting men around the ball quickly to put opponents under pressure with multiple opponents.

This situation led to an Aubameyang winning the ball in a dangerous position and having a shot…

4a.png

… this incident out wide led to Nelson (No 24) winning possession, dribbling forward and having a decent effort from the edge of the box.

4b.png

Against Chelsea the pressing had a slightly different impact. Arsenal didn’t manage to win possession in advanced positions regularly, but it did force Chelsea into aimless long balls downfield in the opening stages, an issue that was only solved once Frank Lampard made a first-half substitution and introduced Jorginho to offer more passing options in deep positions. That said, there was also a good example of counter-pressing 13 minutes from time, when Aubameyang lost the ball, he and Nelson (circled below) pressured N’Golo Kante to regain possession immediately, and Joe Willock curled a shot just wide. That miss proved crucial, as Arsenal then conceded twice in the final 10 minutes.

4f.png

Against United, meanwhile, Arsenal’s pressing seemed more deliberate, and more intelligent. Here, after 10 minutes, Nemanja Matic finds his path blocked by three Arsenal players, so decides to go backwards to Harry Maguire.

4G.png

Maguire’s first intention is to switch the ball towards the right of the defence, but before he receives possession, on the far side Aubameyang is already sprinting forward to discourage a pass towards either Aaron Wan-Bissaka or Victor Lindelof.

Maguire recognises the danger of that pass…

4H.png

… but then, pressured by Lacazette, plays the ball straight to Pepe.

4I.png

Here’s a similar situation, this time when David de Gea has the ball. Lindelof, on the far side, is gesturing for the ball but Lacazette makes an angled run to cut off the passing angle and force De Gea to the near side, where Arsenal are ready to press…

4J.png

… De Gea plays the ball to Maguire, who is again tempted to pass to Lindelof but gets spooked by Aubameyang’s pressing, and therefore launches the ball out for an Arsenal throw-in. Arsenal continually forced this type of mistake.
A very detailed and accurate analysis.
Some of you might find this amazing but this is nothing new to me. Guardiola’s City , Bayern and Barcelona had all played the exact same tactics. I’m a big fan of his tactics.
I’m glad that Arteta has learned all that advanced tactical knowledge and choose to apply this instead of Wenger’s tactics free approach or Moyes’ defensive set up.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I feared for tactical side of Arteta and thought he would need to gain a little experience there but so far it has been very positive from him. I wanted Arteta before Emery because I knew he would not be......

I do think Arteta is a good manager after watching our recent games, although I think his in game tactical change is not on the same level as Guardiola’s yet.

I think he is a good manager and this is a conclusion made from:
1 Ignoring factors that are irrelevant to his true ability (press conference, social media, his look...)
2 Analyse relevant factors eg. the matches we played (his tactical plan, in game tactical change, players attitude). And of course there are other factors that we can’t see much eg. training methods, video/stats analysis, transfers suggestions ...

My opinion is just formed from a sample size of 3 matches, so I wouldn’t say I’m so sure that I will be right.

Where is the logic in your statement?
You feared the tactical side of Arteta but you think he will be a great manager?
It’s like saying you are not sure of someone’s teaching ability but you are so sure that he will be a good teacher.
@hydrofluoric acid
And you seem to be so happy and sure about his ability way before he was appointed. Where is your evidence that he has already learned all the stuff from Pep? Where is your justification for him to be good enough if we appoint him straight after Wenger without even learning one thing from Pep?

It’s fine if you knew taking Arteta is a risk but you are still willing to take the risk and support him because other managers are not guaranteed to be successful anyway.
It’s fine if fans supported him after a few matches, knowing that his tactical knowledge is great.
Its fine if people think he is an inexperienced manager and need more time to tell if he is good enough.
It’s also fine if fans don’t support him because Guardiola’s football is not for them. They wanted a more defensive approach.

It’s fine because every opinion above comes with a reason. But I am sick of people supporting him with no reason or logic behind. Because you FEEL that he is a good manager, so he is the greatest manager on earth before he even started his first match? And saying you love him so much, and other managers are sh**? Where is the logic? To me it’s like an eight years old fangirl supporting a boyband. Or a mother who thinks her son is the best in everything, just because he is her son.

I support Arteta because from the first few matches, he showed that he is a good manager. You support him because you have blind believe in him, it’s embarrassing.

After all these years of school, why would people not have any critical thinking? Or I just have to accept that under the normal distribution, there will always be certain percentage of people having IQ under 50?

Last edited:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Question: When Emery (remember him) joined, the players closed down as a pack for a couple of games. Then it stopped. Forever.

Anyone recall how long it lasted for?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Question: When Emery (remember him) joined, the players closed down as a pack for a couple of games. Then it stopped. Forever.

Anyone recall how long it lasted for?

Think it was gone as soon as Torreiras form disappeared and he was forced to play a more advanced role to try and recover the ball up the pitch, leaving Xhaka unprotected.

Got to remember that the performances weren't really all that great aside from a few games here and there. There was a lot of luck involved and chance creation and later shots allowed became huge problems.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
To be fair to Emery, we were always good in big games under him last season...only lost once at home, his first game against City...smashed Sp**s, Chelsea and United...drew with Liverpool, in a match I feel we should have won...even away, the only time we got smashed was at Liverpool, the rest we performed quite well in.

Emery mainly struggled to impose us on smaller teams, and I believe Arteta will be more attack minded in these games, which will help us.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Think it was gone as soon as Torreiras form disappeared and he was forced to play a more advanced role to try and recover the ball up the pitch, leaving Xhaka unprotected.

Got to remember that the performances weren't really all that great aside from a few games here and there. There was a lot of luck involved and chance creation and later shots allowed became huge problems.

We never had a structured attack under Emery as such you cant counter press if everyone is all over the place . Incredible how the shots against has suddenly dramatically reduced.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think games like the 5-1 defeat to Liverpool (add in the 3-2 defeat to Southampton) prompted Emery to take a more cautious approach. The first game I remember us being really negative in was the 3-1 defeat to City, I remember feeling that it was a tad surprising because although I never had Emery down as the most attack minded coach it still seemed overly negative even for him. We stopped pressing and hunting in packs probably because he was fearful of us leaving too much space for the opposition to exploit. Funnily enough tho, although we kept a few clean sheets our defence didn't exactly improve that much when we went more cautious.

Also I don't think we can ignore the communication issues too, perhaps it's hard to get across to his players how to press in an organised and effective way when you can't communicate properly so in the end he just decided to not bother with it. But this is more speculation on my part.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

He has just ripped off Guardiola’s ideas so far except the rotational fouling, eager to see more :trophy:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Would like to add it was open house under Emery, don’t think we have ever been so open under Wenger. We crumbled easily, but we did it the right way, missing 6 open chances in 14 minutes and getting KO’d by the first chance our opponents get on the break. What happened under Emery was a disgrace.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom