• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
This advanced role you guys make a lot out of, was only towards the end of Emery reign though, when the Özil situation fully came to a head.

From his debut until this season he had always been a CM/DM (when he did play)
He played as a DM in the beginning then moved to CM as the most advanced midfielder of the two CMs in a 442 diamond and then he genuinely played as a 10 in a 4231 at the end

say yes

forum master baiter
This advanced role you guys make a lot out of, was only towards the end of Emery reign though, when the Özil situation fully came to a head.

From his debut until this season he had always been a CM/DM (when he did play)
Maybe, but Emery always preferred Xhaka as the sole DM with Torreira playing further forward as a result.

One notable change of Arteta’s reign so far is fielding the two in line with each other in a double pivot. Xhaka coveting the left hand side of the pitch and Torreira covering the right. End result is Torreira playing as a proper DM again in a much more disciplined role, which is very different to how Emery used him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

You guys explaining how Toreira was used in the past couple matches like I didn’t watch when Infact I was there lol .

All I am saying is, Emery used him as DM and CM too. When he first got his run out, he was playing DM - playing very well and was a part of our unbeaten run.

You guys make too much out of the period where he played no 10 imo, it was only this season after there was no way back for Özil under Emery, who was trying all sorts this season.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
You guys explaining how Toreira was used in the past couple matches like I didn’t watch when Infact I was there lol .

All I am saying is, Emery used him as DM and CM too. When he first got his run out, he was playing DM - playing very well and was a part of our unbeaten run.

You guys make too much out of the period where he played no 10 imo, it was only this season after there was no way back for Özil under Emery, who was trying all sorts this season.

You are right about position thing, but then there is also the part about instructions he had.
he started as DM and did well, but after a while he was being pushed up more and more.
On paper he was still our CM, but he was pushed very high on the pitch, with and without the ball, and he clearly didn't find that comfortable at all.
I thought Unai would figure it out over the summer how to use him properly but,to my big surprise, he actually went all in and made him AM.
probably a move that made me lose all my faith in Emery

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Simply discussing if Emery played him as AM, DM or CM really doesn't take into account how much more compact we are now with the distance between the back four and midfield four in the block is much shorter. When we played under Emery we ended up so spread out that if you were high up you were ****ing gone. With the new compact setup in many ways the difference isn't that pronounced. We had this problem under Wenger too which is why teams played through us so easily. Think all midfielders will benefit from the new setup and look much better. Let's let the team play fort a couple of months and see where we are then.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

As per a few pundits and the latest Athletic article there seems to be an instruction for Torreria to try and feed into Özil as fast as possible. Noticed it quite a few times recently.
He was always meant to be the Coquelin replacement that could actually pass forward. Towards the end of Emery’s time here that ability seemed to disappear and he was extremely safe with his passing which killed our transitions.

Him actively passing forward has made a world of difference.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
He was always meant to be the Coquelin replacement that could actually pass forward. Towards the end of Emery’s time here that ability seemed to disappear and he was extremely safe with his passing which killed our transitions.

Him actively passing forward has made a world of difference.
His form dipped and then he was being messed around positionally. I get the feeling he's a bit of a sensitive soul. From what I always saw, and contrary to a lot of what has been said about him, he can pass a ball. Emery's instructions to deviate from his normal role probably knocked his confidence.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's back to his Sampdoria/Uruguay best. He's good positionally which helps his defensive efforts but he can pick a pass between the lines and has a fierce shot too. With a bit more shooting practice and luck, I wouldn't be surprised to see him close to double figures next season.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Great read. Another for you @Trilly . Will never understand what Emery was thinking with Torreira.
@Trilly

As soon as the final whistle confirmed victory — catharsis, the turning of a page, you name it — Lucas Torreira made a beeline for his coach. Arsenal’s little midfielder fell into a bear hug with Mikel Arteta and the moment summed up how quickly things can change when a player who had lost his groove feels on top of his game again. The Uruguayan looked every inch a player reborn and ready to tackle anything in sight.

Of all those who have improved in the short time since Arteta arrived to inject his ideas for uplift, Torreira’s revival has seen the biggest swing. For a spell when Arsenal snapped and swirled around Chelsea, and then for a longer period as they profited against Manchester United, Torreira gave the impression of popping up everywhere.

The funny thing is, he actually operated in a smaller space than during his unhappier, less productive spell under Unai Emery. The efficiency levels, though, have rocketed with Torreira back in his more familiar zone patrolling the area in front of the back four, with occasional licence to flow forward, rather than chasing higher up the pitch or box-to-box, where the amount of ground that needed covering by his little legs made him less effective. Give Torreira a nearby space to snap into an opponent and snaffle the ball and he is in business.

Adrian Clarke, the former homegrown Arsenal midfielder who now presents the club’s popular tactical show The Breakdown credits Arteta’s more compact game plan for the flourishing Torreira. “The first factor is discipline,” he explains. “If you look at where he touches the ball in the three games he has played so far under Arteta, there is a clear pattern. Almost every touch is in the middle of the pitch or on a 20-yard corridor to the right.

torreira-v-man-united.png

Torreira’s touch map against Manchester United on Wednesday
torreira-v-brighton.png

Torreira’s touch map for his final Premier League start under Emery, against Brighton in May
“Under Emery, central midfielders had licence to go anywhere. Often, there would be two players on one side or one going forward, and the other stretched too far behind. It was all very chaotic. Now, every player has their zone. Torreira’s was mirrored by Granit Xhaka on the central to left-hand corridor. Because they are not wandering here, there and everywhere, the structure of the team is much more compact. The back four is much more narrow and the two in front sit much closer to them.

“Torreira is at his best reading danger over 5-10 yards. He can see it and he only needs to run a few yards to block or intercept. When the team was stretched, he had 20 yards to make up. That is not his forte. This compact set-up has made a difference and that simplicity is working. Everyone playing closer together is making everyone look better.”

Arteta’s own reinvention into a smart holding midfielder during his playing career was something Pep Guardiola mentioned when analysing what makes his coaching protege tick. “He can read the situations,” the Manchester City coach observed. “The best ones play thinking about what the team needs in every single moment and he was a master of that.”

In imparting those concepts to his new team, the message is getting through. The change in Torreira epitomises a wider impression that Arsenal’s players really craved a clear plan and something to believe in. Arteta’s communication and man management skills in conveying what he wants, both in strategy and commitment, have made a strong impression across the board.

There is a new meticulousness. Arsenal trained at the Emirates on the morning of their game against United, just a short session to cement ideas on shape and to practice set pieces. It must have felt good for another one to come off during the game come the evening. At 2-0, it was up to the team to put in the effort to be robust, even though they were all feeling the effects of fatigue. Reward was well-earned.

Torreira is by nature a happy, uncomplicated, easy-going soul. But 2019 brought its challenges. Satisfaction levels dropped. He slipped out of favour under Emery, lost some natural momentum with irregular game time in a variety of positions, and questions began to be aired about whether a return to Serie A might be on the cards.

This transformation might have come at just the right time to salvage Torreira’s Arsenal experience. Freddie Ljungberg began the process of rehabilitation and Arteta has advanced it sharply. Tellingly, Torreira has only completed 90 minutes of Premier League football six times this season — three times under Ljungberg and then all of Arteta’s matches.

The statistics underline a radical change in performance levels. In the three Arteta games, Torreira has made more ball recoveries than he did in ten Premier League selections under Emery this term.

Now he feels trusted, understood, relied upon, and given responsibilities he relishes. The new environment has given him the platform to rediscover his strengths and renew his sense of purpose and determination.

Praise of the “superb” Uruguayan came effusively to Arteta: “He wants to fight for every ball. In training, he fights for every inch. He is starting to understand the whole picture much better. In the three games he has played under me, he’s been top.”

Having relaunched themselves at last against Manchester United, Arsenal’s players were given a well-earned day off on Friday. The players were content, if tired after their recent exertions, trying to learn and adopt new principles over the intense period of festive football.

Arsenal’s new manager bounce had been gradual and methodical, improvement building in orderly blocks, session by session, game by game. The next level will come once they are out the other side of the FA Cup test against Leeds United. That will be the first time since Arteta walked in that he will have enough training time between matches to try to implement the next set of instructions.

Under Emery, Torreira tried to do too much. Now, it is all about focused energy and intelligent aggression. Back with his excitable terrier presence, Arsenal’s midfield is at last a different proposition.

say yes

forum master baiter
Man likeeee
In all seriousness Trill, if you do get a subscription make sure you do it on one of their deals. Any of us can refer you for a 40% discount, and I’m pretty sure they were offering better than that over the new year so shop around.

ksarp

I slagged him off big time but this guy has been excellent last couple of games. Hopefully it continues.

I really don’t understand how a guy who was MOTM a season ago against a surging Liverpool was suddenly branded not good enough for Arsenal. Tdog is a 6 and only a clueless coach will play him as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom